Unlimited Question.... After all the reading confused

duke3913

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Right now my galaxy nexus line has unlimited. I added a line along time ago to get a new phone then threw a lg env to that line. That line was eligible for an upgrade however before reading anything I just cancelled it today as I originally pre ordered the note 2 a month ago and was just going to convert to the shared plans. At the last minute I've worried about the limited data and cancelled my note 2. I then read that I could just add a new line then later transfer the phone to the unlimited and throw another dumb phone to the new line and cancel the data. I've read conflicting things on this and was just looking for clarification.

chuckawd

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Right now my galaxy nexus line has unlimited. I added a line along time ago to get a new phone then threw a lg env to that line. That line was eligible for an upgrade however before reading anything I just cancelled it today as I originally pre ordered the note 2 a month ago and was just going to convert to the shared plans. At the last minute I've worried about the limited data and cancelled my note 2. I then read that I could just add a new line then later transfer the phone to the unlimited and throw another dumb phone to the new line and cancel the data. I've read conflicting things on this and was just looking for clarification.

You should have kept your other line with the LG enV on it but what you can do now is the following to keep your current unlimited data:
(1) Add a new line of service and use it to purchase the NOTE 2
(2) Add another basic phone or the LG enV to the new line which will deactivate the Note 2 and it will also cancel the data plan on this line.
(3) The Note 2 is now free to be added to your unlimited line.
(4) Done-Unlimited data retained and you again have another basic line.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
When I did this, the rep added some dummy phone - I didn't even have one to add. She enter an IMEI number off of something. Lol

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I have 3 lines on VZW. 2 smart phones and one line that just says test device. Good thing is that every 10 months I have a upgrade to use! :)

Oh and I have unlimited on my line. So when I upgrade I just transfer the upgrade to another line, then activate it on my line. That way I keep unlimited.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

jodyberry

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
You should have kept your other line with the LG enV on it but what you can do now is the following to keep your current unlimited data:
(1) Add a new line of service and use it to purchase the NOTE 2
(2) Add another basic phone or the LG enV to the new line which will deactivate the Note 2 and it will also cancel the data plan on this line.
(3) The Note 2 is now free to be added to your unlimited line.
(4) Done-Unlimited data retained and you again have another basic line.

Is that unlimited 3G or 4G data?

Thanks...

duke3913

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
i appreciate the quick response. i must say i'm a little relieved now. I replaced the order for the note on a new line, i hope it's arrival is not delayed due to the late order.

jodyberry

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
OK so maybe someone can tell me if this is how I would personally do it:

1. I have my existing line xxx-1234 with unlimited data.

2. I pre-ordered the Note 2 on my second rarely-used line xxx-5678

3. When I receive the Note 2, I activate it on xxx-5678 (which I ordered with the tiered 2GB plan).

4. Here's where I'm confused: How do I swap these 2 phone lines so that the Note 2 is now on unlimited?

Thanks!

chuckawd

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
OK so maybe someone can tell me if this is how I would personally do it:

1. I have my existing line xxx-1234 with unlimited data.

2. I pre-ordered the Note 2 on my second rarely-used line xxx-5678

3. When I receive the Note 2, I activate it on xxx-5678 (which I ordered with the tiered 2GB plan).

4. Here's where I'm confused: How do I swap these 2 phone lines so that the Note 2 is now on unlimited?

Thanks!

Reactivate the rarely used phone on it's original line which will deactivate the Note 2 freeing it up to be activated on your unlimited line.

Sent from AOSP Thundershed powered 4GLTE Thunderbolt

jodyberry

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Very cool thanks I appreciate it. But when I do that will the unlimited now have 3g or 4 G speed?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
And you're throwing money away. Do you need the extra line? Why waste your hard earned money? How much data do you use/ think about these questions. Do the math. Figure out your data use. I went from 163 to 116. Corporate discount. My phone. Mifi jetpack. 4gig data. Love saving money

sent from either my HTC Rezound or my Samsung Galaxy 10.1 tablet

killroy420

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the NFO peeps :) I completely forgot we have someone on our account who always will use a dumbphone (too old for the smart phones). And one of our smart phone lines has an upgrade up, so I just transferred that upgrade to the dumphone, will buy the note 2, then put her back on the dumb phone and me on the N2! Then my wife can replace her janky stratosphere with my still awesome gNex and we are all happy. Yay for contract juggling!

I tried to think of something witty, but this is all I could come up with.

jmob26

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I have a similar question about saving unlimited data. I currently have a single line with unlimited data on my Rezound, but I rarely go over even just 1 GB in a month (office job, very infrequent travel, wifi at home). It's possible that my data usage could increase though once I start using the Note 2. My dad wants to join me on Verizon, since he's sick of Virgin Mobile. The plan this week is to move to a 4 GB family plan, I get the GN2, and my dad gets my Rezound while saving his current phone number. Did I mess up though? Is there a way to 1. activate the GN2 on my line, 2. move to a family plan, and 3. keep my unlimited data on my line? The Verizon rep I chatted with today, two days after already pre-ordering my GN2 with the family share plan, said there is no way to keep unlimited data if you go from a single line to a family plan. Is this true? If not, can I still restructure the ordered family plan at a VZW store before I start activating these phones? It's not a huge loss I admit. I don't use a lot of data, so 4 GB should be enough, and before we decided to make the switch, I would have lost my unlimited data anyway next August using my upgrade option. Just like the security of having unlimited data. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Bobman

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I have a similar question about saving unlimited data. I currently have a single line with unlimited data on my Rezound, but I rarely go over even just 1 GB in a month (office job, very infrequent travel, wifi at home). It's possible that my data usage could increase though once I start using the Note 2. My dad wants to join me on Verizon, since he's sick of Virgin Mobile. The plan this week is to move to a 4 GB family plan, I get the GN2, and my dad gets my Rezound while saving his current phone number. Did I mess up though? Is there a way to 1. activate the GN2 on my line, 2. move to a family plan, and 3. keep my unlimited data on my line? The Verizon rep I chatted with today, two days after already pre-ordering my GN2 with the family share plan, said there is no way to keep unlimited data if you go from a single line to a family plan. Is this true? If not, can I still restructure the ordered family plan at a VZW store before I start activating these phones? It's not a huge loss I admit. I don't use a lot of data, so 4 GB should be enough, and before we decided to make the switch, I would have lost my unlimited data anyway next August using my upgrade option. Just like the security of having unlimited data. Thanks in advance.

No, you can't have both unlimited data on your line and be on a family plan, but like you said, you don't use much data. So, the 4GB plan should be plenty. I did the same thing when i moved from my unlimited plan to a 4GB family plan with my wife. She averages 500MB a month, so that leaves plenty for me especially if I use wifi while at home.

bbudnick5001

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
No, you can't have both unlimited data on your line and be on a family plan, but like you said, you don't use much data. So, the 4GB plan should be plenty. I did the same thing when i moved from my unlimited plan to a 4GB family plan with my wife. She averages 500MB a month, so that leaves plenty for me especially if I use wifi while at home.

I am on a family plan and still have my unlimited data. We share minutes not data. I think that is what he his talking about

Bobman

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I am on a family plan and still have my unlimited data. We share minutes not data. I think that is what he his talking about

Oh, ok, I thought he was talking about the new family plans that are unlimited talk and text and share a pool of data.

MittenSportsFan

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site

If you want to keep your unlimited data you are "messing up" by structuring your fathers move to vzw this way.
The problem is confusing the previous "Family Plan" with the current "Share Everything" plan.
You want the "Family Plan" which will keep your unlimited data.
The "Family Plan" on shares talk minutes and texts but each line has it's own data package. Yours would be unlimited for around $30 and your father's would be 2gb for around $35 (not sure what the current new rate is since mine is locked at $30). Depending on how much you and your father talk and text there are bundles of minutes and unlimited text beginning around $99. Now that all calls to vzw customers, calls after 9pm, weekends and holidays, plus your 10 most frequent numbers through the "Friends & Family" list, are all free, most don't need more than 1000 minutes (your situation could be different).
So you are talking about $175/month or so total (with tax and fees).
You have unlimited data and dad has 2gb.
The "Share Everything" plan pools all data. You both get unlimited talk and text and pay for bundles of data.
Each smartphone is $40 and the 4gb bundle is $70 so you will come out at roughly $165/month (with tax and fees).
So it's cheaper for you to covert to the "Share Everything" plan if your data will stay the same or even double. Remember, it's more about location than use.
We know you will use your GN2 more than you currently use your Rezound. But where will you use it? If its going to be at home, office, Starbucks, McDonalds, hotels, or the dozens of other locations that offer free wifi your data use won't increase. But if you use a lot in your car or locations without wifi then you may exceed 4gb and make paying an extra $120/yr ($10/mo) a worthwhile investment. Or like you said, you may want the piece of mind of not having to worry about how much data you are using.
If you decide to keep unlimited data with the "Family Plan" just open a new Vzw line by transferring your father's phone number over and purchasing the GN2 for that line (at $299). Then immediately following purchase have Vzw rep transfer your Rezound to your father's phone number and the GN2 to your number (with unlimited data). Get your father the minimum 2gb data plan with Rezound on his number. Get the appropriate talk and text bundle for your needs and you should be all set.
I appologize for the long message.:eek:
I hope this helps you and others.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

jmob26

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks you guys for all your responses. I was referring to the plan that bbudnick was thinking about and Mitten explained very thoroughly. Those prices are coming back to me now, after looking at some more examples online comparing the old and new family plans. Financially, it makes sense to go to the new plan since my dad is quite the talker and texter (still hard for me to believe), and I'm the web/media/app surfer. You bring up a great point, Mitten. Most of my data activity with the GN2 would be at home or in a wifi zone. I think we'll continue with the plan already ordered. Thanks again!

jmm62

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I lost my HTC Droid Incredible 2 (Dinc2) phone! Under my husband's VZ plan, we have the following lines:
1. his Droid Thunderbolt (unlimited data) eligible for upgrade
2. my Dinc2 (unlimited data) eligible for upgrade
3. Son's basic phone (no data) NOT eligible for upgrade

Since I've have lost my phone, how can I keep my unlimited data but get a new smart phone without paying upwards of $500.

It seems my choices are to:
A. Get a Dinc2 phone that has been used/refurbished on ebay or amazon?
If I do buy on ebay or amazon, should I go for the $30 geek squad warranty available?
B. Transfer my upgrade to son's phone (line#3) get a comparable phone and then switch the upgraded phone from his line (#3) to mine (#2)?
Would line #2 keep unlimited data? Buying the subsidized smart phone requires a data plan, right? But, he is too young to have data and the old phone would not support it anyhow, can we just transfer the phones, cancel the data plan and keep the phone?
C. If I did upgrade to a new model phone, which one do you recommend? I liked the HTC Dinc2 a lot... but it was my first smart phone. It seems the comparable phones would be the DNA or maybe the Samsung?

Thanks in advance, any advice is appreciated!

- - - Updated - - -

I lost my HTC Droid Incredible 2 (Dinc2) phone! Under my husband's VZ plan, we have the following lines:
1. his Droid Thunderbolt (unlimited data) eligible for upgrade
2. my Dinc2 (unlimited data) eligible for upgrade
3. Son's basic phone (no data) NOT eligible for upgrade

Since I've have lost my phone, how can I keep my unlimited data but get a new smart phone without paying upwards of $500.

It seems my choices are to:
A. Get a Dinc2 phone that has been used/refurbished on ebay or amazon?
If I do buy on ebay or amazon, should I go for the $30 geek squad warranty available?
B. Transfer my upgrade to son's phone (line#3) get a comparable phone and then switch the upgraded phone from his line (#3) to mine (#2)?
Would line #2 keep unlimited data? Buying the subsidized smart phone requires a data plan, right? But, he is too young to have data and the old phone would not support it anyhow, can we just transfer the phones, cancel the data plan and keep the phone?
C. If I did upgrade to a new model phone, which one do you recommend? I liked the HTC Dinc2 a lot... but it was my first smart phone. It seems the comparable phones would be the DNA or maybe the Samsung?

Thanks in advance, any advice is appreciated!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084