Rooting the Verizon Note 2

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
No worries DroidXcon your all good. As for removing bloatware, it can be scary and I agree with DroidXcon if you are not comfortable don't do it, and some users go overboard and remove way too much and cause issues. For me I will remove the basic stuff and back them up offline storage. As for custom ROM's this time around (if/when we get the bootloader unlocked) I am not sure I would go that route, I have to agree it would defeat the purpose of having this awesome S-Pen device without the S-Pen features, but that's me.
I feel that a good touchwiz based rom will do wonders. but as is the phone is great

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
No worries DroidXcon your all good. As for removing bloatware, it can be scary and I agree with DroidXcon if you are not comfortable don't do it, and some users go overboard and remove way too much and cause issues. For me I will remove the basic stuff and back them up offline storage. As for custom ROM's this time around (if/when we get the bootloader unlocked) I am not sure I would go that route, I have to agree it would defeat the purpose of having this awesome S-Pen device without the S-Pen features, but that's me.

Well if Scott works up a CleanROM for the Note 2, I'll probably run that. He does a good job of kicking out the bloat and adding back some nice functions. I'm thinking a nice mashup of the Note 2 ROMs from all carriers would work pretty well. Or one where all apps would work in Multi-view.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Is the stock really being seen as so perfect that the device wouldn't benefit from a custom ROM? Surprising to hear that from a dev, but pretty cool if true.

- Mark

Believe it or not yes. Not many people want to give up the S-pen features and TW actually works well on this phone.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Is the stock really being seen as so perfect that the device wouldn't benefit from a custom ROM? Surprising to hear that from a dev, but pretty cool if true.

- Mark

I wouldn't mind a custom ROM if it brings features such as reassigning the buttons (I miss holding the back button to kill the current app).
I would also like to have the clock in the center of the notification bar, and nice color themes.

Losing features of the s-pen is what concerns many people about a custom ROM.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't mind a custom ROM if it brings features such as reassigning the buttons (I miss holding the back button to kill the current app).
I would also like to have the clock in the center of the notification bar, and nice color themes.

Losing features of the s-pen is what concerns many people about a custom ROM.
Those things can be added without touchwiz so that shouldn't be a problem

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Those things can be added without touchwiz so that shouldn't be a problem

Has it been done in the past with the Note 1? Were there any AOSP ROM's that had fully functioning S Pen support?

I wasn't around the Samsung mod scenes back around that time, got into it slightly with the GNex and just again now with the Note 2. If they were able to do it with the Note 1 + AOSP maybe there's some hope for the Note 2.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Has it been done in the past with the Note 1? Were there any AOSP ROM's that had fully functioning S Pen support?

I wasn't around the Samsung mod scenes back around that time, got into it slightly with the GNex and just again now with the Note 2. If they were able to do it with the Note 1 + AOSP maybe there's some hope for the Note 2.
Don't know as I never had a note 1. But you can't compare it was not as popular of a phone and I doubt devs were running out to get it. ....ill poke around later see what I find

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
A customized stock type ROM would be great, adding in a few things here and there would be cool. Regarding that I posted a thread today letting folks know the source code for the SGH-I605(JB) has been released. So hopefully it is something devs can work with.

beefchopper

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
As soon as its available ill write one up. I have done tons of these for the fascinate and droid charge.

Odin is Samsung software that will overwrite a partion on your phone and add whatever coding you provide.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

I've never rooted a phone and am very afraid of screwing something up. The only thing I want to accomplish is to find a way to enter APN information so that I can use a foreign local sim cards to receive data as well as voice when travelling in another country instead of using Verizon global roaming. The stock phone does not allow you to enter any new APN information, preventing this. I'd LOVE to be able to accomplish this without rooting but fear that may not be possible. If you know for certain that there is a way to do this and could explain it for a noob I'd really appreciate the help.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I will be writing it up soon, its just that i didnt get my Adviser tools tonight and i have been at work. plus its going to be pretty thorough to be newb friendly so it is not going to be something i can throw together in a couple mins. ill do my best to get it up as soon as possible, Sorry for the hold up

Appreciate anything you can do for those of us that haven't done this before.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Appreciate anything you can do for those of us that haven't done this before.

I have a pretty thorough guide written up. And a custom rom is already made by beanstown over at the xda forums. I will be including direct download link and instructions to install it. It will install same as root but with one extra step of wiping phone data. Hopefully will have it up before midnight. I still need to write iup FAQ and trouble shooting section then I can post it. I'm at work trying to write it every time my boss is not looking so it may take awhile lol.

Air Force One

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
I have a pretty thorough guide written up. And a custom rom is already made by beanstown over at the xda forums. I will be including direct download link and instructions to install it. It will install same as root but with one extra step of wiping phone data. Hopefully will have it up before midnight. I still need to write iup FAQ and trouble shooting section then I can post it. I'm at work trying to write it every time my boss is not looking so it may take awhile lol.

Looking forward man. If I remember right I rooted my Thunderbolt with your tool/tutorial. :) Thanks for all your work!

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

Take your time - and again many thanks!

sparkomatic

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
Well if Scott works up a CleanROM for the Note 2, I'll probably run that. He does a good job of kicking out the bloat and adding back some nice functions. I'm thinking a nice mashup of the Note 2 ROMs from all carriers would work pretty well. Or one where all apps would work in Multi-view.

+1 for that! I was using a CleanROM on my S3 and loved it! I hope he cooks something up for the Note 2. Until then, I'm just gonna wait.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Beanstown ROM is looking very nice, can't d/l this weekend due to my limited bandwidth in the country. I will try to hit up a wifi hot spot tomorrow but may just roll along and wait for Build 2, not in a big hurry anyways. Imnuts is looking to get one going as well and hopefully DroidXcon will too :)

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Beanstown ROM is looking very nice, can't d/l this weekend due to my limited bandwidth in the country. I will try to hit up a wifi hot spot tomorrow but may just roll along and wait for Build 2, not in a big hurry anyways. Imnuts is looking to get one going as well and hopefully DroidXcon will too :)

Lol the Altered beast was the only rom i ever did and will ever do . to much work to keep up with things, Bless those devs that are much better than i am. Im simply here to help and deliver info

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante