Rooting the Verizon Note 2

TheDroidLurker

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Beanstown ROM is looking very nice, can't d/l this weekend due to my limited bandwidth in the country. I will try to hit up a wifi hot spot tomorrow but may just roll along and wait for Build 2, not in a big hurry anyways. Imnuts is looking to get one going as well and hopefully DroidXcon will too :)

Agree with this. I loaded it this morning and it runs great. Only one or two very small issues but I'm sure those will be taken care of with his next release. If this is what he has made for us this soon after release, I can't wait to see what we get once the bootloader is unlocked.

Sent from my sweet Verizon Galaxy Note 2

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Agree with this. I loaded it this morning and it runs great. Only one or two very small issues but I'm sure those will be taken care of with his next release. If this is what he has made for us this soon after release, I can't wait to see what we get once the bootloader is unlocked.

What are the issues?

TheDroidLurker

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
What are the issues?

There is a force close for some when changing the message limit option in the messages application. And the other one I have experienced has to do with the s- pen. Whenever you use it to outline and copy a section of a webpage or image it doesn't open the review/share dialogue. It still saves it but you can't see or review it unless you go find it in the gallery. Luckily, being able to use multi-window makes this a minor issue.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
There is a force close for some when changing the message limit option in the messages application. And the other one I have experienced has to do with the s- pen. Whenever you use it to outline and copy a section of a webpage or image it doesn't open the review/share dialogue. It still saves it but you can't see or review it unless you go find it in the gallery. Luckily, being able to use multi-window makes this a minor issue.

Oh i thought you were talking about beanstown rom you are talking about the stock rom right

TheDroidLurker

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Oh i thought you were talking about beanstown rom you are talking about the stock rom right

No, I'm talking about the beanstown rom. Jelly "Beans" build 1. His rom is basically a modified, skinned, rooted, and streamlined version of the stock rom.

mrwallydroidx

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
I understood that if you used the tether app that is on the Verizon phone you would loose the unlimited data program. Is that not true?

Rooting only voids parts of your warranty. Verizon cares because they don't want to give away free tethering...which is free for all non-unlimited subscribers anyway.

On the root topic, root is in the works and by the looks of things we'll have it sooner rather than later.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
I understood that if you used the tether app that is on the Verizon phone you would loose the unlimited data program. Is that not true?

A lot of us, myself included use wifi-tether and have for a long time..Again Verizon is simply trying to steal more money from unlimited customers by making tether unavailable for unlimited users.

MaxBuck

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I've used the Verizon tethering feature by adding it for a day or two (emergency use only) and retained unlimited data. The tethering costs about $1 a day, so as an emergency backup it is cost-effective. Simple enough to remove the feature using the My Verizon app when you no longer need it.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
I've used the Verizon tethering feature by adding it for a day or two (emergency use only) and retained unlimited data. The tethering costs about $1 a day, so as an emergency backup it is cost-effective. Simple enough to remove the feature using the My Verizon app when you no longer need it.

My only beef with that is this: For non-unlimited customers, tethering is free. For unlimited, you either pay extra or switch your plan and lose unlimited. Why, other than being money grubbing would you have to pay for a service (on a higher tier) that you get for free on a lower tier? If everyone had to pay that would be one thing but that's not the case now is it?

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
My only beef with that is this: For non-unlimited customers, tethering is free. For unlimited, you either pay extra or switch your plan and lose unlimited. Why, other than being money grubbing would you have to pay for a service (on a higher tier) that you get for free on a lower tier? If everyone had to pay that would be one thing but that's not the case now is it?

I agree, I'll get the torches, you make the signs.

MaxBuck

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Why, other than being money grubbing would you have to pay for a service (on a higher tier) that you get for free on a lower tier?
I understand the business model perfectly. If VZW didn't charge us unlimiteds for tethering, we would just terminate our hard-wire broadband service and use our phones as our home routers. That would overload their system. I don't begrudge this approach at all, and in fact it's the only approach that makes business sense IMO. It's annoying, especially as my use of tether is emergency only (when I'm in a remote area without wifi or when my home service suffers an outage and I need Internet access), but I accept it as a reasonable business practice.

VZW gets a lot of complaints about "money-grubbing," but they're about the most customer-friendly telecommunications company I've encountered other than Wideopenwest, which is just outstanding (but is landline only).

beefchopper

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I understand the business model perfectly. If VZW didn't charge us unlimiteds for tethering, we would just terminate our hard-wire broadband service and use our phones as our home routers. That would overload their system. I don't begrudge this approach at all, and in fact it's the only approach that makes business sense IMO. It's annoying, especially as my use of tether is emergency only (when I'm in a remote area without wifi or when my home service suffers an outage and I need Internet access), but I accept it as a reasonable business practice.

VZW gets a lot of complaints about "money-grubbing," but they're about the most customer-friendly telecommunications company I've encountered other than Wideopenwest, which is just outstanding (but is landline only).

Do you work for them? I cannot believe anyone would objectively find them to be consumer friendly. I could give countless examples of why they suck but to pick just one, the Galaxy Note 2 as offered by virtually every carrier on the planet allows you to use a sim card from any ISP to access voice and data. Verizon's version also accepts a non Verizon sim and the phone will then receive calls using that sim but Verizon and only Verixon blocked the ability to enter the APN information needed to get data on other networks. This is particularly critical to anyone spending significant time in other countries. That feature was provided by Samsung in the phone and can be accessed only by rooting the phone as Verizon, unlike all the other carriers, went out of their way to block it for their customers. That is consumer friendly? Give me a break.

Verizon has by far and away the best network and that is why I use them despite the fact they are the most consumer UNfriendly company I can think of.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site

Actually a lot of people realize that it's untenable to use mobile data as home broadband. I have 3 kids and my dad living in my home with over 15 internet connected devices. I don't think my one 4G phone will suffice for all of that. For the single person, it might do well and if that person can live like that then more power to them. Believe me I'd be the first to admit that many people would abuse it, but look at it now many rooted phones tether for free and they haven't destroyed Verizon's network yet.

MaxBuck

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Do you work for them? I cannot believe anyone would objectively find them to be consumer friendly. I could give countless examples of why they suck but to pick just one, the Galaxy Note 2 as offered by virtually every carrier on the planet allows you to use a sim card from any ISP to access voice and data. Verizon's version also accepts a non Verizon sim and the phone will then receive calls using that sim but Verizon and only Verixon blocked the ability to enter the APN information needed to get data on other networks. This is particularly critical to anyone spending significant time in other countries. That feature was provided by Samsung in the phone and can be accessed only by rooting the phone as Verizon, unlike all the other carriers, went out of their way to block it for their customers. That is consumer friendly? Give me a break.

Verizon has by far and away the best network and that is why I use them despite the fact they are the most consumer UNfriendly company I can think of.
No, I don't work for VZW and I don't own any of their stock. But I've been a customer for almost 20 years. Is their customer service perfect? Of course not, but it's consistently responsive and usually competent, which in 2013 is a lot better than most. If you think otherwise, buy a product from Lenovo or Sony to see what kind of responsiveness and competency you get from their customer service. Or talk to the people at Time Warner or AT&T and try to get a problem solved. Then get back to me about how much better they are than Verizon.

snookasnoo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Nope. First of all unlimited is not truly unlimited and Verizon will throttle you after a certain amount of usage. It's always been that way which is pretty well known. Getting rid of unlimited is just a way to make people pay more for less than what they used to have. For my phone and LTE iPad I would pay $30 more per month for the same thing I have now but with only 2 GB data per month.
Also tethering is free for anyone using LTE as this was one of the conditions for Verizon buying public spectrum. That's why Verizon no longer enforces paid for tethering and you can use an app like Foxfi or change your carrier settings to get tethering with no problem. You can do the same on a jailbroken iPhone.
What Verizon's FCC tethering settlement means to you (FAQ) | Mobile - CNET News

unfound_way

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
I found a way to keep unlimited indefinitely and still keep upgrading. I have three lines. I upgraded one of the other lines to the Galaxy Note 2. I kept it like that for a day, but I think you can do this right away. I simply took my SIM card out of my Droid Razor and put it in the other line's Galaxy Note 2. Tah Dah! I still have unlimited data on a brand new phone! I put the remaining SIM card in the older Droid Razr. That number did not have unlimited anyway. When I look up my Verizon account, my number is shown to be on the New Galaxy Note 2. The other number is shown to be on the older Droid Razr. I can't believe such a simple method worked!