Adding a line to keep unlimited data?

thenames

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
For the guy who said $260 savings but left out taxes and fees, the savings were $160 before taxes. check your math. surprised no one caught that, but good call about taxes.

That's right, this entire thread has been debunked. Of course verizon was happy to pull the old switcheroo for you. That's guaranteed income for 2 more years for them.

What is the early penalty for breaking up the $9.99 a month contract? Probably not worth it either.

wooddale

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
You cant get a smart phone for $9.99 a month anymore they are wise to that. You also need to get a data plan for a smart phone I tried it they wont do it.

One_Angry_Panda

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
I just did this. I moved from the Thunderbolt to the Note 2. I had to add a line NON SMARTPHONE. they actually allowed me to use an old phone that I had prior to the smartphone. I didnt even have to have it with me.

I got the note 2 at the discounted rate and instead of activating it on the new line, I had them activate it on my existing line (unlimited data).

I went in a tuesday night. Easy as changing to a new phone. PM me if you have any questions!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I can't see paying on an extra line to keep ouunlimited. Seems to be costs more. But if it works for you!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note2

wooddale

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I did it awhile back but I tried again with Note2 and they wouldnt do it said unless your old line was a smart phone they do it a guy just tried yesterday hope he dont get nailed for extra $20/ mo. The reason why you would do it long as your planing on staying with VZW it o ly costs you $15/ mo about $40 cheaper than buying oughtright and you got 2 yrs to pay no interest.

phantomog

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I can't see paying on an extra line to keep ouunlimited. Seems to be costs more. But if it works for you!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note2

For some people, its more than just keeping unlimited. For a lucky few (myself included), we are on plans that are significantly cheaper than currently available share plans.

For example, my current plan gets me two smartphones with unlimited data and one dumbphone, all unlimited texting and way more minutes than I'll ever use (1400). This costs me ~$150 *after* tax. The absolute cheapest share plan with 2 smartphones and one dumbphone is $160 *before* tax --- and that only comes with 1GB of shared data. I do use ~2GB of data per month.

Since I already have a dumbphone line (which is used by someone as a phone) I don't need to add a line. But I could see people who similarly have 3 smartphones and adding a dumbphone line would save a TON of money, not only on phone subsidies, but on the monthly bill itself.

phantomog

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
wall of text

forgot to mention the important part. For my smartphone lines, I could just use an upgrade and switch that line from unlimited to 2GB for $30. For the special plan that I'm on, that alone would increase my bill by $20 per line as I'm only effectively paying $10 a month per line for unlimited data. If I didn't already have a dumbphone line I would definitely add one because it saves me money, not even caring about unlimited data.

wooddale

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I have a plan similar to yours 1400 min 2 smart and 1 dumb unlimited text share Im about $180/ mo. I use 15gb a month that is just data internet no music no videos no tethering. Ilive in a very strong 4g area so the wife and I are never off 4g. I have 12kp on wifi but 4g 8s 16 to 18kp so I use it. I use my phone a lot even if I were to use wifi Im surevI would be 5gigs. So for me unlimited is good.

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I have a plan similar to yours 1400 min 2 smart and 1 dumb unlimited text share Im about $180/ mo. I use 15gb a month that is just data internet no music no videos no tethering. Ilive in a very strong 4g area so the wife and I are never off 4g. I have 12kp on wifi but 4g 8s 16 to 18kp so I use it. I use my phone a lot even if I were to use wifi Im surevI would be 5gigs. So for me unlimited is good.

How do you manage 15 gigs with no tethering, video or music? I have 6 smart phones on my account and don't even use 6g. No tethering, and video and music are basically only ever on wifi. With the exception of using Pandora in the car. And my entire life runs through my phone pretty much.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note II

wooddale

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Im retired always on the phone my wife to and in a strong 4g area. I have to drive 25 miles either direction to get out of 4g except Lake Michigan its only about 15 miles lol.

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Just a bump to this thread to let you know you STILL can do this. I have a 700 minute plan with 4 phones, 2 smartphones with unlimited data. I was able to order the S4 at new subscriber price ($250 - the $50 rebate when it comes) and they confirmed I can activate a basic phone on the line and cancel the $30 data charge when it arrives. I have an old basic phone to activate so instead of paying $650 to buy the S4 off contract, I pay $200 now (after rebate) and then roughly $15 monthly for the next 2 years ($360). Still cheaper than full retail. HOWEVER, when the basic phones I already have on the plan expire their contracts....I can cancel one of them, and move the number to the newest line, and drop the newest phone line. This way it'll be less than the $360 over time.....more like $165 for me. So in the end, I get the S4 for $365, and it the extra gets spread out over a year.

wooddale

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Are you positive I tried to do that and when it came down to it they wouldnt let me do it without a data charge. They tokd me the person I tslked to was wrong and gave me wrong info. Your still paying about $75 bucks less than list but you get to pay for it for two years

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Are you positive I tried to do that and when it came down to it they wouldnt let me do it without a data charge. They tokd me the person I tslked to was wrong and gave me wrong info. Your still paying about $75 bucks less than list but you get to pay for it for two years

Why is that a bad thing exactly? You want to keep unlimited data, well you have to jump through some hoops to hold it.

Hoop A) Buy the phone for $700 smackums on the spot

Hoop B) Take the additional plan route and pay less than $700 over the course of 2 years...

Hmmmmmmm choices. And yes it still works, do it all by yourself online with no one to tell you "no that will hurt my sales numbers for the day." Their internet ordering and plan managing system doesn't care and won't let personal obligations get in the way of you and your intended setup. It works, and it is my advised route for saving money and well, saving money.

wooddale

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Im all for the time payment deal Im retired and on a fixed income its much easier for me to do the$15/ mo than shell out the whole $700. Im do shortly to upgrade Ill find out. Thanks

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Im all for the time payment deal Im retired and on a fixed income its much easier for me to do the$15/ mo than shell out the whole $700. Im do shortly to upgrade Ill find out. Thanks

It would be cheaper to wait for a sale and do the etf method, the note 2 was $50 before, so the total would be around $405. Some cc offer no or low interest for some time.

But, if you don't have the money on hand, You would be better off going to best buy and price match Verizon full retail, then finance it through them 18 months no interest plus 5% rewards. With Verizon, you have to pay a monthly service fee.

Also, $700 total divided by 12 months with finance charge is around $60 per month.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome