How to get rid of VZW bloatware?

jodyberry

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I've read some posts about people getting rid of VZW bloatware (or at least hiding it).

Just curious if anyone has a list of what and where to get rid of, or if anyone has made a video of which apps, etc. to get rid of.

Thanks all...

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I think we will have to wait till we get root. Then a dedicated thread will be created I'm sure.
Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

tjubb

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Can't remove them right now, will have to wait until we can root the device. The only thing you can do is HIDE the apps. Go into your app drawer, tap the menu button and tap HIDE APPLICATIONS. I've done that so at least I don't have to look at the bloatware but they still remain on the device.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I've disabled the following with no negative effects so far:

AllShare Play
Amazon (two of them, 2.0.11 and 2.0.5)
Amazon Kindle
Amazon MP3
Audible
Google Play Books
Google Play Magazines
Google Play Movies & TV
Google+
Group Cast
IMDb
Kies air
Media Hub
Music Hub
News Daemon(EUR)
NFL Mobile
S Voice
SNS
Talk
Talkback
Viewdini
VZ Navigator
Yahoo Finance
Yahoo News
Zappos

SonOfUncleSam

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry, this may be a dumb question, but how exactly do you go about disabling these apps?

Never mind, I found out how. For those who wanted to know the same thing, go to setting and go to applications, and scroll over to all applications. When you select an app, you have the option to disable it.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry, this may be a dumb question, but how exactly do you go about disabling these apps?

Menu, Settings, Application manager, scroll to the right to "All", then select an app, in the upper right is a button to disable. If it's grayed out, you have to uninstall any updates to the app first, then the disable button should appear.

SonOfUncleSam

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Menu, Settings, Application manager, scroll to the right to "All", then select an app, in the upper right is a button to disable. If it's grayed out, you have to uninstall any updates to the app first, then the disable button should appear.
Thanks! Although I found out shortly after I posted that.

- - - Updated - - -

Another dumb question-- disabling doesn't free up space does it!? It just takes them out of your app list?
It doesn't look that way, it just prevents the app from running, and takes it out of the app drawer.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I recommend freezing the apps or moving them to a different directory.
Deleting apps has in the past prevented OTA updates.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
You can disable many of the apps now.
Settings - apps, select the app you want to disable, uninstall updates, disable.

If you plan on rooting then you can use titanium backup to freeze apps, even the ones that you cannot currently disable.
Also with root you can use a file explorer with root access such as ES file explorer, root explorer, etc, navigate to the directory where the app resides, cut and paste it in a different directory.

I use the mv command using busybox, of course that too requires root.

sudbury78

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
You can disable many of the apps now.
Settings - apps, select the app you want to disable, uninstall updates, disable.

If you plan on rooting then you can use titanium backup to freeze apps, even the ones that you cannot currently disable.
Also with root you can use a file explorer with root access such as ES file explorer, root explorer, etc, navigate to the directory where the app resides, cut and paste it in a different directory.

I use the mv command using busybox, of course that too requires root.

as a complete noob to android I am just hoping to root and delete the boat ware from internal storage the easiest and most efficient way possible. I guess I wouldn't mind putting them on my sd card as well. Just scared to root and brick my phone. An expert friend said he would do it for me when it's available.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Root is available now but I'm going to wait for it to stabilize.
If you remove the preinstalled software, I suggest that you keep it somewhere, because if you want an other the air update from Verizon, you will need to have those apps installed or the update will fail.

mrxblue

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Try this.

For situations where you want to completely remove an app that came default with the phone, I found this method without rooting or special software.

Tested on Android 4.1 1 (jelly bean)

1. Go to preferences > application manager
2. I wanted to remove "nfl mobile", so I went All and found nfl.
3. Cleared it's cache, force stop, and disable
4. Once done, nfl did not show up in application manager or the Apps button

I think the only way to restore it would be to do a factory reset. So be careful and make sure you never plan to use that app.

Let me know what you guys think or find.

I've read some posts about people getting rid of VZW bloatware (or at least hiding it).

Just curious if anyone has a list of what and where to get rid of, or if anyone has made a video of which apps, etc. to get rid of.

Thanks all...

Sent from Samsung galaxy note 2 (Verizon)