Verizon closed upgrade Loophole for family share plan members?

michael styles

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Jerry much appreciated..... something's just dont belong in the forums no matter the context in which they are spoken. Hopefully we can move fwd back to the original subject.

Its disappointing to know that VZW has more ways than anyone can count to alienate its customer base. I'm gonna try myself to do this as this is my last contract with VZW anyways.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
This Super Moderator has no problem with anything Jerry said or the way he said it.

Nor do I have any tolerance for the rule he quoted being broken. Some rules are zero tolerance. FYI

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Well I have already apologized for it. I was never asked to apologize sent so it was not forced. I I have spoken to the mod in private I wasn't trying to be offensive and I already said I won't say that word again.

Its over, and so can I please stop being attacked for it?

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile

ph37rd

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
If you pay full retail, they make all kinds of money.

Think of it this way. When you buy your car, the dealer asks for a down payment, you gladly hand over $2,000 + tax and sign on the dotted line, acknowledging your desire to finance the car with a monthly payment of $300. A major portion of that payment is paying for interest and the remainder is paying the amount borrowed.

Your Vzn phone works much the same way. You want a Samsung Galaxy S3, the sticker on the window says New Line activation is $199.99 or Upgrades are $199.99. Reading further in the fine print, you see that the real cost of this phone is $699.00. You really want that phone so you hand over your $199.99 + tax and sign on the dotted line acknowledging that you want to finance this phone over a two year period. Now how much are you paying depends on how much you really going to use this phone. You're a power user, so you decide you want to hand over $40 for the ability to use $70 for 4GB worth of data. Added up your payment is $110 (+tax). Given the cost of the phone is $700 and you've given them a $200 down payment, you are financing the rest of the $500 over the two years. About $21 a month pays for the phone. At the interest rate charged by most small loan companies, you're paying $4 a month in interest. Leaving the real cost of your service at $85 a month. So in effect you're paying $85 a month for air.

Now let's see how this works out with buying the phone outright. You drop $700 for the phone and sign up for the 4GB of data. Your monthly payment is $110 like above. Only now, you aren't financing the phone. But you're still paying the same amount per month. You've just given them an extra $25 a month for the same thing you were willing to give them $85 for above.

The same rules apply when you don't use your upgrade. You're so happy with your car when you pay it off, you continue to make those loan payments to the finance company. Again, you're making payments for air, but not getting anything new for it. In phone speak, you're giving Vzn the same amount of money per month for that old phone that you would if you upgraded. They just don't have to finance a new phone for you.

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
This Super Moderator has no problem with anything Jerry said or the way he said it.

Nor do I have any tolerance for the rule he quoted being broken. Some rules are zero tolerance. FYI

What there's zero tolerance for and not should be clearer then. I really don't understand what's the point of having a page of rules if you can pick and choose. Not tryna argue or start anything it just doesn't make sense.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site

Think of it this way. When you buy your car, the dealer asks for a down payment, you gladly hand over $2,000 + tax and sign on the dotted line, acknowledging your desire to finance the car with a monthly payment of $300. A major portion of that payment is paying for interest and the remainder is paying the amount borrowed.

Your Vzn phone works much the same way. You want a Samsung Galaxy S3, the sticker on the window says New Line activation is $199.99 or Upgrades are $199.99. Reading further in the fine print, you see that the real cost of this phone is $699.00. You really want that phone so you hand over your $199.99 + tax and sign on the dotted line acknowledging that you want to finance this phone over a two year period. Now how much are you paying depends on how much you really going to use this phone. You're a power user, so you decide you want to hand over $40 for the ability to use $70 for 4GB worth of data. Added up your payment is $110 (+tax). Given the cost of the phone is $700 and you've given them a $200 down payment, you are financing the rest of the $500 over the two years. About $21 a month pays for the phone. At the interest rate charged by most small loan companies, you're paying $4 a month in interest. Leaving the real cost of your service at $85 a month. So in effect you're paying $85 a month for air.

Now let's see how this works out with buying the phone outright. You drop $700 for the phone and sign up for the 4GB of data. Your monthly payment is $110 like above. Only now, you aren't financing the phone. But you're still paying the same amount per month. You've just given them an extra $25 a month for the same thing you were willing to give them $85 for above.

The same rules apply when you don't use your upgrade. You're so happy with your car when you pay it off, you continue to make those loan payments to the finance company. Again, you're making payments for air, but not getting anything new for it. In phone speak, you're giving Vzn the same amount of money per month for that old phone that you would if you upgraded. They just don't have to finance a new phone for you.

That's almost the exact same way I broke it down for someone who had an upgrade but refused to use it and they didn't even have unlimited. I showed them the t-mobile value plan model and then the classic plan and they saw the difference themselves. T-mobile is simply being upfront about it, other carriers aren't

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
What there's zero tolerance for and not should be clearer then. I really don't understand what's the point of having a page of rules if you can pick and choose. Not tryna argue or start anything it just doesn't make sense.

I don't know the severity of every law that I could possibly break, and I know that some things are punished more harshly than others. It's the same here.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I believe the point being made is, if your riding on the bubble of possible "trouble" for a comment your about to make then you should be thinking twice before pressing the submit button. Obviously things like discrimination, references to ones sexual preference or race are treated like they are anywhere else in life with utmost seriousness therefore we have ZERO tolerance on these for sure.

If want to watch/read someone make comments like that I will turn on the 10 o'clock news, I don't expect it in an online Android community forum.

Thanks for understanding everyone.

Nibs

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site

It's not just about the money, it's also about the severe limitation. In my case, I am the primary line with an iPhone 4 and I have 4 other family members with dumbphones. My only option right now is to either upgrade at $299 and go to a 2gb tiered plan or get everyone on a shared plan and get everybody smartphones. It's just not worth it. If it was 4gb, i would seriously think about using my upgrade, but 2gb is just too small of a limitation for me.

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
It's not just about the money, it's also about the severe limitation. In my case, I am the primary line with an iPhone 4 and I have 4 other family members with dumbphones. My only option right now is to either upgrade at $299 and go to a 2gb tiered plan or get everyone on a shared plan and get everybody smartphones. It's just not worth it. If it was 4gb, i would seriously think about using my upgrade, but 2gb is just too small of a limitation for me.

You don't have to get everyone a smartphone. The basic phones on that plan are 30 instead of the 40 for your smart phone.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site

I feel the exact same way, except I don't have anyone else on my plan who is using a dumb phone. You do. What you should do is if you're still on unlimited data on your line, make one of your family members use their upgrade on their dumb phone line to buy the Note 2 at a subsidized pricing, then when you get the phone itself don't activate it on their line. Re-activate their old dumb phone so you can remove the data plan you had to add to buy the Note 2. Then just take the Note 2 and activate it on your line that you have the iPhone 4 on. Bingo. Note 2 for $299 + activation fee and you keep unlimited data. No harm done.

coryteague

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
So, last week I went to go check out the HTC DNA and though the screen utterly impressed me I still had my heart set on the Galaxy Note 2 due to battery life and memory expansion (16gb and a cloud service won't do it for me, I still have my original Droid X and this POS wont even make it through half the day without a charger). I talk to the REP and tell him my intentions that I wanted to buy a Note 2 full retail to keep my unlimited. He told me about the family share loophole where I can upgrade a dumb phone to a smart phone and then yank the data plan and transfer the phone over to my unlimited. Excited I ask for his card and told him I would see him next week (yesterday). I go home and look it up on multiple forums and sure enough people had done this and plus it was widely known so any retailer could do it.

Yesterday I was in another city doing errands so I went into another Verizon store, checked in, and told the guy my intentions to use an upgrade from another line for my upgrade to keep my unlimited data package, He said that Verizon had caught on and they put a stop to it as of last week?!?! I just BS'ed with a guy a bit and told him I was going to come back and pay full retail. I will try to go to that original Verizon store I went to and talk to the same guy and see if he can pull some strings. I don't know why someone would not be able to do it.

Well if it works then sweet. I will have a Note 2 at a cheaper price and keep my unlimited. However, if I have to pay full retail to keep my unlimited then I will be watching Netflix to hell and stream pandora 24-7 all the while downloading a ton of music. :) Bastardos.

That's what I did and kept my unlimited when I activated the Galaxy note 2. Even did it with the Rep over the phone so I was for sure not losing my unlimited data plan. Everything was a breeze and this was last Thursday.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
But you cuss? I'm not supporting what he said in the least but you can't reprimand him and then cuss in the forums you're supposed to be keeping clean.

It's called "do as I say, not as I do."

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
It's called "do as I say, not as I do."

I'm not your child. And it's bs. But it is what it is right?

It's called I have a few very close friends and a member of my immediate family who happen to be homosexual. I see how words hurt, the same way words hurt when they are about someone's skin color or the god they worship. It disgusts me. People who do it disgust me.

Previously, I would just do what was necessary to make sure whoever used the term was gone and couldn't come back. I was told I had to give people a chance before I ban them and their entire IP block to keep their bigotry away.

Nobody told me I had to like giving bigotry a second chance, so I don't. I hate it. If my style of giving someone a chance that I think they don't deserve bothers you, I don't particularly care. Report my post, and move along. You won't change my mind or how I feel about it.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
It's called I have a few very close friends and a member of my immediate family who happen to be homosexual. I see how words hurt, the same way words hurt when they are about someone's skin color or the god they worship. It disgusts me. People who do it disgust me.

Previously, I would just do what was necessary to make sure whoever used the term was gone and couldn't come back. I was told I had to give people a chance before I ban them and their entire IP block to keep their bigotry away.

Nobody told me I had to like giving bigotry a second chance, so I don't. I hate it. If my style of giving someone a chance that I think they don't deserve bothers you, I don't particularly care. Report my post, and move along. You won't change my mind or how I feel about it.

Jerry, please close the thread. I think the OP's original issue was addressed well enough and this doesn't need to continue. Or move it to the Verizon carrier forum to discuss further. Either way it's not about the Note 2 or Android at this point.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Jerry, please close the thread. I think the OP's original issue was addressed well enough and this doesn't need to continue. Or move it to the Verizon carrier forum to discuss further. Either way it's not about the Note 2 or Android at this point.

Please let the moderators do their job.

That being said, the back and forth needs to stop. The issue has been addressed. Any further discussion that's not on the topic of the OP will be dealt with in an "official" manner. I.E. infractions and things like that that I don't like doing.

If anybody feels the need to continue this discussion feel free to PM me.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey