Verizon closed upgrade Loophole for family share plan members?

MaxBuck

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
if Verizon force all grandfathered unlimited plan customers into tiered or share-everything plans,
how many of you will bolt and switch to another carrier?
This could only be done at the end of the contract. At which time I might very well remain with Verizon but convert to prepaid. (I really don't want to leave the most complete 4G network available.)

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
This could only be done at the end of the contract. At which time I might very well remain with Verizon but convert to prepaid. (I really don't want to leave the most complete 4G network available.)

Verizon doesn't offer 4GLTE on their prepaid phone plans

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site

I could definitely see this happen, unfortunately.

Once you are our of contract they are under no obligation to honor the old plans. They have always done so but things change.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AC Forums mobile app

MissyHaney

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
I could definitely see this happen, unfortunately.

Once you are our of contract they are under no obligation to honor the old plans. They have always done so but things change.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AC Forums mobile app

I thought Verizon discontinued offering unlimited data plans sometime in 2011. I can't remember what month that took place, but it's safe to say that all contracts for people with grandfathered unlimited data plans will come an end at the end of this year. As soon as that happens, Verizon may make a move and kill off unlimited data for EVERYBODY.

There nothing people can do if Verizon decides to change all unlimited data plans to 2GB only.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
They stopped offering it to new lines and new customers in 2011 but allowed people to sign contracts grandparenting them in until last year. Since then signing a new contract would forfeit unlimited data. But people can still buy full retail, buy used or certified like new devices without loosing it.

GNRPowdeR

May 5, 2010
Visit site
if Verizon force all grandfathered unlimited plan customers into tiered or share-everything plans,
how many of you will bolt and switch to another carrier?

Four smartphones and my mom's line would be leaving... As it is, we're having to get whatever we can that's used, so going to another provider via prepaid wouldn't be an issue. Sadly, staying with VZW and not getting newer phones just feeds them more profits. Bit of a dbl edged sword, IMO.

Technified

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

Really? Because I have been out of contract since January of this year. At that time I had the gs3 then a few months later I paid retail for the note 2. Nobody said I had to give up my unlimited data.

I also know 2 other people who have been out of contract with them for over a year n still have unlimited.

SENT FROM MY AMAZING NOTE 2!

MaxBuck

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Really? Because I have been out of contract since January of this year. At that time I had the gs3 then a few months later I paid retail for the note 2. Nobody said I had to give up my unlimited data.

I also know 2 other people who have been out of contract with them for over a year n still have unlimited.

SENT FROM MY AMAZING NOTE 2!
You've misinterpreted what I said, which was that Verizon could not terminate unlimited before my contract ended ... not that, once it ended, they necessarily would.

DINGSTER1

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Yah I'm looking at AT&T right now, contract up in Oct. concerned about coverage in the mountains though, Looking at phones on Gazelle and Swappa...

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
You've misinterpreted what I said, which was that Verizon could not terminate unlimited before my contract ended ... not that, once it ended, they necessarily would.

Verizon can terminate your unlimited data whenever they want to, it is a feature that can be added and deleted anytime you want, it is not tied to your contact. Try it, call and tell them you want to turn data off, they will do it no questions asked, no etf, then try to turn your line off, then you will hear about the etf.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

MissyHaney

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Verizon can terminate your unlimited data whenever they want to, it is a feature that can be added and deleted anytime you want, it is not tied to your contact. Try it, call and tell them you want to turn data off, they will do it no questions asked, no etf, then try to turn your line off, then you will hear about the etf.

Verizon will not turn data off on any smartphone..... only dumbphones and features phones can have data disabled... or has this policy changed?

MaxBuck

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
No, Verizon cannot "terminate unlimited data whenever they want to." They are obligated by contract to continue it throughout the contract period. After that time, all bets are off, and they may terminate the program or not depending on their market research findings.

There is about as much nonsense being spouted off in this thread as in the rest of the forum combined.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Smartphones require data plan, no way to get a smartphone on Verizon without one, even if you bought the phone unsubsidized.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
No, Verizon cannot "terminate unlimited data whenever they want to." They are obligated by contract to continue it throughout the contract period. After that time, all bets are off, and they may terminate the program or not depending on their market research findings.

There is about as much nonsense being spouted off in this thread as in the rest of the forum combined.

Data is not part of your contact hence why you don't get a ETF if you go back to a dumb phone and drop data. You only get a ETF if you drop the phone part, data is a feature.

Look at the family plans where people have a dummy line so they can use it for upgrades. They upgrade the line with a smart phone which adds data to that line, the same day they put the new smart phone on the other line and activate a dumb phone on the just upgraded line and data drops off. If data is part of the contract you would be charged a ETF on the upgraded line.

Go sign up for service on Verizon site, there is no plans that include data, the data is under add features. Even the shared plans data is a added feature. Features are not part of the contract, can be dropped and added as many times as you want. And of course we could call Verizon and ask this question to 4 reps and we would get 4 different answers. So until or if Verizon pulls unlimited data it really doesn't matter, more then likely Verizon will leave unlimited data alone until your contact is up for public relations if they cut it all together.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Data is most certainly part of my contract. (I'm not telling you it's part of yours; I haven't seen your contract.)

So you can't turn your data off without paying a ETF? I know smart phones require data but you can change to a dumb phone and drop the data.

Either way I'm sure Verizon won't take anyone's unlimited data away till their contract is up if they do it at all.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams