Visibility in the sun??

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
How is the visibility of the Note 2 in sunlight? Looking at the display unit in the store, I have the brightness cranked all the way up. The screen on my Razr Madden is a lot brighter. I can see my Maxx pretty good in the sun. With the Note 2 being dimmer, I'm thinking it would be difficult to see in direct sunlight.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

meerbot

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
Just activated my Note 2 yesterday evening and had it outside in daylight for the first time today. My first impression was that my Galaxy S3 was brighter and more legible outdoors. When I got home I changed some of the screen settings - I'll see how it does outside again tomorrow.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Just activated my Note 2 yesterday evening and had it outside in daylight for the first time today. My first impression was that my Galaxy S3 was brighter and more legible outdoors. When I got home I changed some of the screen settings - I'll see how it does outside again tomorrow.

Keep us posted in how it does with the new settings.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

GlueFactoryBJJ

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Any update on this? I'm really interested in the Note 2, but the visibility in store by the window wasn't so great. Anyone tried a SIII/Note 2 side-by-side comparison? This is a concern as I use mine outside a fair amount.

Scott

meerbot

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
Funny you asked. So at first I seemed to remember my GS3 being brighter outdoors. But I just took my GS3 outside and held it side by side with my Note 2. The Note 2 is not dimmer as I first thought. In fact, it actually looks ever so slightly bighter! Goes to show how memory can play tricks. I feel better now. :)

jodyberry

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Also, I just noticed there's a setting in Camera that lets you make the screen a bit brighter than maximum. (But only available in Camera). I assume for when you're shooting pics outside.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone had the chance to compare the visibility of the Note. 2 outside compared to a Droid Razr Maxx?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

prophelic

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
You can also go to display and change the settings to dynamic instead of standard and gets really better and bright. Easily brighter than my s3

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
You can also go to display and change the settings to dynamic instead of standard and gets really better and bright. Easily brighter than my s3

Really? Wow. Is the settings for Dynamic & Standard located under Settings > Display? If this makes the screen brighter, then I might go ahead and get it.
Might try to go to Verizon and try it out on a demo unit.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Had a chance to tryout the different display settings on a Note 2. The dynamic is the brightest of the available settings, but the screen at 100% is still dimmer than other phones I've looked at and used. I'm thinking this will definitely be an issue while trying to use the phone in sunlight. I've had phones before that were difficult to see in sunlight, and I don't plan on going back to a phone with those deficiencies.

rvgarryj

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I haven't been outside since I got mine last week, too busy playing with the phone.

If I have to choose between the two... Well, it would be easy. :D

tkfisher

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I haven't used it extensively in the sun yet, just going from class to class. But I don't think it's bad at all with full brightness up. It's quite visible IMO. Can't really compare it to other phones though unfortunately.

wdonbrown

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
It's awful in sunlight; simply awful. I cannot read a text, cannot find the icons to activate anything. Has anyone found a solution; maybe a screen one can buy?

Hippocampus

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
It's awful in sunlight; simply awful. I cannot read a text, cannot find the icons to activate anything. Has anyone found a solution; maybe a screen one can buy?

I agree the visibility of the screen on a sunny day is absolutely horrible, but I don't think its unusable. I crank the brightness all the way up when I go outside and that makes it usable but its a pain to have to change it back and forth. I do change it manually rather than auto because it saves battery life.

Anne Druide

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
EVERYTIME I try using my Note ii in the sun I feel like Samsung has RIPPED me off! All my friends' NON-SAMSUNG phones are MUCH, MUCH, MUCH brighter in FULL SUNLIGHT, while my Note ii display vanishes! THIS REALLY SUCKS and I cannot believe people are not raising s?&% about this! Did SAMSUNG test the Note ii in a f&?%$# CAVE?!?!?!

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I have always had mine set to 'Dynamic', it does make the screen a bit brighter, but with that said, in my personal opinion, the Note 2 is pretty difficult to see outside in the direct sun and I live in AZ., so very sunny most days!

I love my Note 2 and can easily overlook this and it would not keep 'me' from owning this Amazing Phone! Is 'any' device really easy to see in direct sun? Just my 2 cents worth.

Margie
Sent from my Galaxy Note 2

srvctec

May 29, 2011
Visit site
The ONLY thing I liked about my previous phone, the Droid X2, was that it was EASILY viewable in direct sunlight.

I also have a hard time seeing my screen in the sun, even with the brightness set to max, on my Note 2. I would have to agree with the previous post- not a deal breaker since there is nothing else at all I dislike about the phone.

Last edited:

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
The ONLY thing I liked about my previous phone, the Droid X2, was that it was EASILY viewable in direct sunlight.

I also have a hard time seeing my screen, even with the brightness set to max, on my Note 2. I would have to agree with the previous post- not a deal breaker since there is nothing else at all I dislike about the phone.

My previous phone had better visibility in sunlight as well. I didn't want to get the Note II when it came out because I saw where the screen didn't get as bright as my previous phone, and I knew this would be an issue in sunlight. Since I liked everything else about the phone, and there was nothing else I liked at the time, I went ahead and got it.