The "No 32GB/64GB" Conundrum - Am I the only one who sees a problem?

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
If this issue really bothers you... DON'T BUY THE PHONE. Period.

The only way companies will learn in a capitalist/profit driven economy is to stop voting for them with your wallets. Samsung couldn't give a crap what you like or dislike about the phone... they already got your money. This isn't even all Samsung's fault... its the carriers as well. They want everything to stored on the cloud so that you will use their data service to access everything in hope that you will go over your alloted data plan and get charged an arm and a leg for overage fees. Sadly, this is going to be the way of the world and if you don't like the trend then stop buying cell phones that are buying into it. We are lucky that they even offered us external storage, we could have a Droid DNA which has 16gb of storage and when formatted and used by the OS and whatever it takes to run comes down to roughly 11gb. We atleast have the ability to use the SD card for music, movies and bunch of other stuff.

Lets also not forget that there are ways to make your SD Card the primary storage device on your phone, that way you can basically have 64gb of storage that your phone thinks is the onboard. Yes, you have to root in order to access this feature but if the storage issue is that much of a problem rooting is a quick and painless process that will fix this earthshattering problem. This will probably turn into a root vs. anti-root debate but the simple facts are the only way that we are going to be able to access the full features of this device is to root the device. If you don't want to root your device, then don't complain about what you got out of the box. This phone is a beast in itself and you are going to complain about storage.... really?? Good luck finding any phone this size, this powerful and this great that has better specs and storage abilities.

Now tha tmy point is made, I am going to say this for everyone now... There are already multiple threads about this topic and we don't need anymore.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Google's terrible SD Support is terrible and it's something you have to consider before you buy the phone. Personally I'm fine with 16GB as long as it allows SD Card Access because I'm not a gamer on my phone, anyways, but I prefer to put a majority of my data on the SD Card because phones can fail and I don't want my data to go down with it. I use Cloud Storage as a backup for certain types of data (like Pictures that I want to keep the originals for, and some videos), but there's no way I'd buy a 16 GB + No SD or any 8GB (period) device and depend on that. A 16GB device is more like an 12 GB device, and an 8GB device is more like a 5-6GB device because the OEMs measure storage different than we do (1000 bytes not 1024) and formatting reduces the size further.

That being said, you're not going to get what you want because people here have some sort of complex that leads them to think they're actually important to the OEM, when all the enthusiast/hacker crowd are to those companies are glorified alpha/beta testers. They'll leak their own ROMs so that they can have this group of people beta test it for them, sure. They will not release a phone that costs millions to produce just because 3% of the population wants more storage, especially when the carrier will increase the subsidy for it by $100 when the chip is probably only $10 more expensive to produce. That's not going to happen.

Being a tinkerer doesn't make you elite or hardcore. Just a different type of customer, and you really don't matter all that much to them because history has proven you'll buy whatever they put out anyways. This is where consumers get themselves into this endless cycle of creating their own limitations. If people had not messed with the One X and HTC saw the lack of an SD Card and Removeble battery was an issue, do you seriously think they'd have released the X+ and DNA with basically the same limitations? When people are willing to put brand loyalty aside to get what they want the OEMs will start giving them what they want. The only reason why people are complaining now, is because they treat phone OSes and OEMs like a religion. Enjoy your shoddy storage.

I mean, the people complaining in this forum already have the device, so why should they waste money releasing yet another SKU???

P.S. The iPhone 8GB has never sold for $199 on contract. It was always $99 and it was only released after the iPhone 4S was released. The minute the 4S was released contract prices for 16GB iPhones dropped by ~$50 instantly to $149 on contract. The same thing happened to the 4S when the 5 was released. But yea, when it's the new model Apple always has the 16GB model at $199.

Last edited:

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
This phone is a beast in itself and you are going to complain about storage.... really?? Good luck finding any phone this size, this powerful and this great that has better specs and storage abilities.

The only thing notable about this devices is the size and the S-Pen. There are phones about on par with it as far as Specs and Power goes - not that it matters since almost all of these phones are overspec'd beyond their EOL Support date, anyways. Great is totally subjective (the build quality isn't great, for one, and neither is the screen (barring the digitizer) - Sony, LG, and HTC all are better there).

For both the On and Off-Contract price it certainly should have at least 32GB storage, but Samsung is riding the hype and profiting as much as it can from it before the market gets flooded with phablets and they're forced to compete harder at lower price points.

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I've got to believe that phone salespeople mislead the public on this issue. Maybe not all but most. Too many times I have been given the response that 16gig is enough because you can install an SD card and increase the storage. They are surprised to learn that SD card storage can't be used for applications, just data.

I will not buy a device with less then 32gig and without SD card support.

If that means I'll never get another Android phone, then so be it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

An average user won't use more than 16gb Of app space. People who use more than that are the minority. It still sucks but its true.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
The only thing notable about this devices is the size and the S-Pen

Notable is totally subjective as well...as you said yourself in the same post:

Great is totally subjective

I find the battery life and multi-view feature pretty great. In addition to the size and the S-Pen you already mentioned. That's 4 rather awesome things that set this phone apart for lots of folks that you cannot get on any other device. Those trump the memory "issue" for me.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Notable is totally subjective as well...as you said yourself in the same post:
Don't run circles with me.

The only thing NOTABLE about that device that differentiates it from the GS3 is the Screen Size and S-Pen Functionality/Digitizer. Software-wise, they're practically identical. The GS3 can do multi-view as well. The biggest difference is the Phablet form factor, which has nothing to do with specs outside of the screen size, since they can add a Digitizer/S-Pen to a smaller phone if they wanted.

All the other specs are practically the same, or very comparable. Do I seriously need to give you a run-down in a table to illustrate this?

I find the battery life and multi-view feature pretty great. In addition to the size and the S-Pen you already mentioned. That's 4 rather awesome things that set this phone apart for lots of folks that you cannot get on any other device. Those trump the memory "issue" for me.

The battery life is only a consequence of having a bigger form factor (they can obviously put a bigger battery), but Samsung has OEM extended batteries and covers you can buy for the GS3 and it would still be cheaper than a Note on or off-contract. Battery Life is a wash when you weigh your options and factor in the cost...

Multi-Window is on the GS3. It's just a smaller screen and I've already gone over that.

There's only two things.

1. Battery Life is a wash if you buy Samsung's Extended Battery + Cover, which will give comparable battery life and still leave you with a smaller up-front cost than the Note.
2. Multi-Window is on the GS3, so that's not even mentionable.

So we're back to square one. The only thing notable about this device compared to a GS3 is the Screen (Size) and S Pen Functionality (Due to the Wacom hardware). Other than that, it's nothing more than a blown up GS3 - which is totally expected, since the Note 1 was basically a Blown up Skyrocket/GS2 LTE with a bigger (and higher resolution) screen and S Pen functionality (with apps to make it seem more useful).

I don't appreciate being quoted completely out of context (and in sentence fragments) and having my words completely twisted. I don't do it to anyone. Don't do it to me. It's disingenuous.

NOTABLE is completely objective when you can objectively compare both the Hardware Specifications and the Software Features, both of which are largely equivalent between the devices, so I don't know how anyone can hail this as something so incredibly powerful compared to other phones, when it actuality it is hardly better -(and even seems rather last gen compared to devices like the Droid DNA, which suffers from the same low storage issue). Even then, whether "bigger is better" is completely subjective. The S Pen is additional features so I can't really knock that, though.

16GB @ $300 on contract price is a bad value, to me. I don't enjoy being milked by these OEMs. Others may think otherwise. Enjoy it :)

This phone isn't the only one plagued with that problem, either, so I'm not trying to single it out. However it's clear Samsung is riding the hype as long as they can and doing whatever they can to maximize profits. I doubt the carriers refused to outright carry one, because multiple carriers have multiple storage SKUs for the GS3 and other devices.

What trumps the memory issue to you is likely to not matter to many others, but the spec and software feature equivalence isn't debatable. As far as I'm concerned, the Note isn't differentiated from the GS3 enough for me to even consider it, personally, and the low internal storage is an issue given the price they're asking both on and off-contract. I know a couple people who have notes and they almost never use the S-Pen anyways, and since it's a Samsung-specific feature you don't really have many apps outside of those stock apps optimized for it. It's pretty niche to me, and one more piece of the device to break or get lost.

Last edited:

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
This phone isn't the only one plagued with that problem, either

The memory "problem"? Again, it's a problem for some, not others. If someone doesn't like the memory available on a device, don't buy it, pretty simple, right? It's personal preference, and these are not life and death decisions here. Hopefully you find a device out there that fits your needs at some point. There are lots of choices, which is the cool thing about all this. ;)

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
The memory "problem"? Again, it's a problem for some, not others. If someone doesn't like the memory available on a device, don't buy it, pretty simple, right? It's personal preference, and these are not life and death decisions here. Hopefully you find a device out there that fits your needs at some point. There are lots of choices, which is the cool thing about all this. ;)

Your reply has nothing to do with what I wrote (probably because you were demonstrably wrong, not that I care about being right about stuff easily researched on the internet - per se), and is the template response on every device forum when people get defensive and don't want to hear anything they perceive as negative about their device or OS of choice.

Another sentence fragment, though. How cute.

MaxBuck

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
People are certainly entitled to their opinions, but a phone that has 16 GB available for apps and up to 64 GB available for data is pretty impressive to me. Add in the terrific display and the S-pen, and I now have a phenomenal computer that will make phone calls.

If someone else chooses to be unimpressed, that's their prerogative. They don't need to buy one.

BadProf_1

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Anyone know if this is the real deal or copy ? The Samsung Galaxy Note II N7100 32GB is run on the clever Android OS, v4.1 (Jelly Bean) OS.The Android OS, v4.1 (Jelly Bean) is backed up by a 1.6 GHz quad-core and 2 GB RAM of RAM which together ensure the smooth running of applications on the phon

Anyway even if those who want GN2 with 32 or 64gb internal are only a few percent how hard would it be for Samsung to do a run of each ? I go with the getting more Apple and Google like day by day theory.

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm now down to 2.38GB of free internal storage left on my Note 2 phone. Even my large Sandisk Ultra 64GB external card is half filled up!

My Samsung 7.7 Tab (tablet by Verizon) only had 16GB of internal storage to start, actually around 12GB free to user brand new. After only a couple month's usage, my Samsung 7.7 Tab is now down to around 7GB of free storage space.

I find it very odd that even the large 10" screen Samsung Tab only has a pathetic 16GB of internal storage space. Seriously, a device with a 10" screen should have a minimum of 128GB of internal storage in my opinion. Memory is so cheap nowadays, and I'd happily fork over an extra $50 to $100 for double or triple internal storage.

Although I don't care for an iPad, I admire Apple's decision for a larger 128GB internal storage model, I'm sure there are users out there who will pay the premium price for extra storage.

Attachments

• Screenshot storage space left Note 2 phone.png
    Screenshot storage space left Note 2 phone.png
    117.5 KB · Views: 17

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Some people on the forum actively defend the low amount of memory on Android phones...on the DNA forum for example, 'why would you need more than 12gb usable?'

If you ask me, the flagship phone should have a 128GB option, SD card, 3000mah+ battery, 1080 resolution, a Wolfson DAC and front facing speakers...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20