The "No 32GB/64GB" Conundrum - Am I the only one who sees a problem?

GlueFactoryBJJ

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, tell that to the people who buy iPhones. I'm sure that the 8GB version doesn't sell well compared to the 16GB. And I'll bet iPhone upgraders buy iPhones with larger storage when they upgrade. The reason for this is that the iPhone is successfully marketed as an entertainment device. Heck, most people I know have 16GB+ music PLUS pics they've taken (sometimes in the thousands), and then add in apps, etc.

The problem, as I see it, is that most people don't realize that ANY Android phone can be as good a device for entertainment as ANY version of the iPhone. AND they miss out of selling to people (sheeple) who go to the iPhone as the "only" device that will serve their needs. HTC is the only brand who has tried and their efforts have been half-***** (my censoring) at best.

At least most brands are now supporting 64GB microSD(XC) cards. And the S3 supports external USB storage through an adapter. Support for LARGE capacity microSDXC cards might be the only savings grace in this whole storage debacle. Then again, there is the whole lack of file system support for large capacity storage issue, but at least Linux has support for some that will (hopefully) deal with that in the near future!

Scott

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
16GB with expandable memory for the user's media and people are still complaining.

Wow.

Can't please everyone.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, tell that to the people who buy iPhones. I'm sure that the 8GB version doesn't sell well compared to the 16GB. And I'll bet iPhone upgraders buy iPhones with larger storage when they upgrade. The reason for this is that the iPhone is successfully marketed as an entertainment device. Heck, most people I know have 16GB+ music PLUS pics they've taken (sometimes in the thousands), and then add in apps, etc.

When upgrading, most of the people I know in the Apple ecosystem upgrade to the new iPhone that is in the same price point as their previous iPhone.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Great point. Of course, two years later and the same price point has about twice the storage as it did before... :)

Scott

I'm pretty sure the iPhone 4 at 16GB was the same price on-contract as the iPhone 5 at 16GB.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
They offered the GS3 in 16GB & 32GB versions and so they should have offered the GN2 both ways as well. I would be extremely happy with 32GB + 64GB microSDHC card but 16GB when formatted and JB 4.1.1 on it leaves us 9.88GB when we should have more like 23-25GB!

duff60901

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
LOL. Yes they were.

And LOL. These companies need mainstream consumers to survive.

They have the iCrap Moto and even the S3 for the general public. Where are the phones for the elite or the hard users? We are stuck with the same watered down phones. At least offer the higher end and make them special order with a week wait time or something.

LazrRocketArm

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
They are trying to make money, not cater to the "hardcore". Why do you think they have so many LeBron commercials?

I would have liked more, but I do not have that many games. I can say, carriers DO have a big say in it. ATT did not even carry the 32gb GSIII at all.
I would pay more as well, but not going to have that option.

Can't you put apps on the sd card with rooting? So, maybe they expect the "hardcore" to do that...

It is very annoying, but I am looking forward to having my SAMSUNG Galaxy Note II soon. Maybe they will finally figure it out with the Note 3? Not sure there are enough gamers to cause them to change current protocol
:(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
They have the iCrap Moto and even the S3 for the general public. Where are the phones for the elite or the hard users? We are stuck with the same watered down phones. At least offer the higher end and make them special order with a week wait time or something.

LOL.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
They are trying to make money, not cater to the "hardcore". Why do you think they have so many LeBron commercials?

I would have liked more, but I do not have that many games. I can say, carriers DO have a big say in it. ATT did not even carry the 32gb GSIII at all.
I would pay more as well, but not going to have that option.

Can't you put apps on the sd card with rooting? So, maybe they expect the "hardcore" to do that...

It is very annoying, but I am looking forward to having my SAMSUNG Galaxy Note II soon. Maybe they will finally figure it out with the Note 3? Not sure there are enough gamers to cause them to change current protocol
:(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Sadly Google removed the ability to put apps (easily) on the SD card starting with ICS and fully with JB. Now there are some work arounds IF you are rooted and there is an app that allows you to bind the actual .apk application file and if its one of those 1.5GB games all of the related app data as well. But you have to use a tool to do it and if there are updates you need to unbind, move it back into internal storage, update, rebind and move back to ext. sd card. I just wish Google would get their heads out of their butts on this one and realize that no US carrier is ever going to play ball and will not allow us to have what we need. 64GB internal storage phones (despite nand flash being so cheap) and with data rates what they are forget about d/l the file to play the game later on.

For me I am considering the Nexus 7 32GB for my more involved games like MC3, MC4, Racing games, and Shadowgun. I will put movies on a microUSB drive and use USB OTG.

GlueFactoryBJJ

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty sure the iPhone 4 at 16GB was the same price on-contract as the iPhone 5 at 16GB.

You might be right. I thought that the price point for the iPhone 4 at 8GB was the same as the iPhone 5 at 16GB ($199 on contract). Then again, I have never owned or desired an iPhone, so I could be mistaken. Now that I think about it, the iPhone 4S was priced the same.

Of course, iPhone sales are based on a different dynamic than Android phones and Apple's customers appear to be, in general, much less price sensitive than Android customers tend to be.

Scott

Mitchell Conley

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys the only work around that I have been able to come up with on my puny 16gig Note 2 is to just copy over my large, less often used apps to my 64gig SD manually by using any file manager app, browsing to Andriod>Data or Andriod>OBB folders. I still have about 20 GIGs left on my 64gig and whenever I want to play a rarely played, memory hogging app, I just copy it back to the internal memory.

Its a lot faster to just copy the data over to the Internal memory when you actually wanna play it instead of deleting, re-downloading and not to meantion losing all of your game progress.

I know this sucks but if you are like me and you simply have to have the Note 2 and the same games you have been playing in a 32gig galaxy 3 like myself, this may be the only way for now.

Hope this helps.

Mitchell Conley

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Hey the only work around that I have been able to come up with on my puny 16gig Note 2 is to just copy over my large, less often used apps to my 64gig SD manually by using any file manager app, browsing to Andriod>Data or Andriod>OBB folders. I still have about 20 GIGs left on my 64gig and whenever I want to play a rarely played, memory hogging app, I just copy it back to the internal memory.

Its a lot faster to just copy the data over to the Internal memory when you actually wanna play it instead of deleting, re-downloading and not to meantion losing all of your game progress.

I know this sucks but if you are like me and you simply have to have the Note 2 and the same games you have been playing in a 32gig galaxy 3 like myself, this may be the only way for now.

Hope this helps.

faisbross

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
More precisely, it's a win-win-lose situation for the device manufacturers, the wireless carriers and we, the consumers
I'd like to see Hitler get his rage on youtube over this issue. hehehe

faisbross

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Very well said.
I'm sticking to my 32GB Nokia N900. Its not even android. Just that Maemo 5 that Nokia had abandoned. But I don't care. Want my money? Come up with a 64GB phone with microsd slot first then we can talk. I'm so sick of the phone makers tactic of 'holding the specs for future versions, crap. Apple started it and Samsung perfected it. What a bunch of modern day vultures!

duff60901

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Didn't do too much clicking but Goog had a sponsor link for the 64GB Note 2 for $758 Samsung N7100 Galaxy Note II 64GB Android QUADBAND Unlocked Phone (SIM Free): grey | Multisystem tv, 220 volts appliances, Voltage Transformer, Unlock GSM phone,Region free blu ray dvd player,220 volts power tools, Multisystem LED, Multisystem LCD, u and I loved this part : All of our Unlocked GSM Phones come from around the globe. As such, most carry an "International" warranty from the Manufacturer, which will be detailed within your product packaging, if appropriate. Only DOA (Dead on Arrival) Exchanges will be made for this product through the GSM Support Center. No returns are allowed otherwise. There are no exceptions. All of our unlocked cellular phones are only designed to work on GSM networks such as Cingular and T-Mobile. These phones are NOT compatible with CDMA carriers such as Verizon and Sprint. If your intended service provider is not among those four major carriers, please contact that provider to determine GSM compatibility.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaahza