Root achieved! !

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
We officially have root !!!
thanks to the guys over at XDA. All Credit goes to MrRobinson and Beanstown101!! also thanks to JellyDroid for taking one for the team and droidstyle for his quick write up Guide to root

You can head over there and get your info on how to root.
Or
you can wait either tommorow or monday i will have a full tutorial with pictures, downloads, and step by step instructions on how to do this.

I have already rooted my phone and everything is fully functional and i didnt even have to wipe my phone.Here is a photo for proof that i am rooted
dyge7ujy.jpg

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
I hope we can get a closed sticky for nOObs like me who have never rooted a phone before. Something like a step by step instruction set with no other posting replies allowed. I get confused because I don't understand file structures. Something so easy, even a caveman could do it.
Rob

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
This is taken right from the XDA thread:
Section 1: How to Root Stock JellyBean with Odin - VZW Edition only!

Step 1: Download and install these files to your pc:
Odin- http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1165122&d=1340993443

Step 2: Download one of the rooted stock odin images below to your pc:
Dev-Host - root66_VZW_stock_system.7z - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service
(You will need 7-zip or a compression tool that can uncompress 7zip files)

Step 3: Power device off, hold the volume down/home/power keys until you see a yellow triangle, then press the volume up key to access "odin or download mode".

Step 4: Open odin and connect the oem usb cable from pc to device. Adb driver should automatically install(atleast it did for me on windows 7). There should be a "comport number" in upper left hand corner of odin indicating communication between the pc & device.

Step 5: Uncheck Auto reboot

Step 6: Click on the PDA function of odin. Select the rooted system.img you downloaded in step 2, then select start. This operation should take less than 8 minutes before odin will say pass/reset.

Step 7: Pull and reinstall battery.

Step 8: Press and hold the volume up/home/power buttons until you see a green android. You should boot into ASR(Android Stock Recovery)

Step 9: Wipe cache.(If you experience errors, boot back into ASR and wipe data.)

Step 10 reboot!

*Everything is working folks!! We now have a solid root method!!!

Credit goes to MrRobinson and Beanstown101!!

sudbury78

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Thunderbolt im glad you asked for that because that is my concern dealing with the complex file names etc!!!

Edit: this root allows renoval of bloat and by chance allow us to get the full calendar widget back??

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Thunderbolt im glad you asked for that because that is my concern dealing with the complex file names etc!!!

Edit: this root allows renoval of bloat and by chance allow us to get the full calendar widget back??

Yes you will be able to remove bloat and im sure if the widgets work on the note 2 variants they will work on ours. Weekend I have time ill try it out. ..... and I took pictures and screen shots of the entire odin process, and will include them in the tutorial

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

AirlinerDudeB6

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Just FWIW...people on XDA are reporting that the build.prop will only hold 240dpi (supposed to be 267dpi)

Not a huge issue if you really need root now. Im sure things will get polished over the next few days though.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Just FWIW...people on XDA are reporting that the build.prop will only hold 240dpi (supposed to be 267dpi)

Not a huge issue if you really need root now. Im sure things will get polished over the next few days though.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

I don't think much will change until we get a full odin tar from samsung

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Nice to know, but I'm going to wait for a recovery method in case I need to get back to stock.

It Is a stock build. Removing root just requires deleting some files. But yes if you want you can wait. things will be alot better when we have a full tar.

Last edited:

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
It Is a stock build. Removing root just requires deleting some files. But yes if you want you can wait. things will be alot better when we have a full tar.

If the build.prop won't stick, it makes me wonder what else isn't exact.
Going back to stock means that shouldn't be an issue.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Nice to see you have returned from the shadows DroidXcon ;)

Looking forward to that full blown guide and instructions as is your fellow GNote 2 owners.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC