I Miss My Email Widget

alvarez13

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
So I see a gmail widget. Where's the basic email widget that I had on my stock JB nexus device? Why would verizon remove that? It seems to be on other carriers.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if its in there but just hidden. Perhaps once they get past the bootloader we will get more of what was removed corrected.

alvarez13

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
Ok, I've been trying to use the SecEmail files from sprint and AT&T to replace vzw's ones and can not make it work. However, Drakkula4 over on XDA was nice enough to help me get the ICS email and widgets working, so I'm pretty content. Here's what you need to do:

1. Root phone and get root explorer (or other root browser)

2. Navigate to system/app folder and switch over to read/write mode. Change the extensions on the SecEmail and SecExchange files (4 total) to disable them, but not delete them forever. For example, change SecEmail.apk to SecEmail.ap. If you ever want to restore it, just add the k to apk later. Do this for the 2 apk and 2 odex files there.

3. Download the 2 ICS email apks I've attached. You need to put them in the data/apps folder.

4. Turn the phone all the way off. Reboot into recovery by holding down home and volume up and the holding down power until the logo pops up. Clear the cache and reboot.

5. Go to your widgets section in the app drawer and enjoy the good ol' fashioned email widget you grew up with.

Attachments

• Email.apk
    2.8 MB · Views: 153
  • Exchange2.apk
    879.8 KB · Views: 137

RLLangley

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Ok this might be the first reason to get me to root my N2. Anyone else try it and get it working? Does the email widget notify you of all emails or just a specific account?

alvarez13

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
Ok this might be the first reason to get me to root my N2. Anyone else try it and get it working? Does the email widget notify you of all emails or just a specific account?
You can have a widget for a single acct or a combined one. You can also have the combined one only show new messages. Further more, you can also set email alerts in individual accts to go off when new mail arrives (or use light flow to add lights and other sounds).

I rooted using this method: Verizon Galaxy Note II How To Root the Note 2 EASIEST method! - YouTube
Very easy and fast. You don't lose any data in the process. Only change is that nice little super user icon. Remember, this is just rooting, not unlocking =)

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
You can have a widget for a single acct or a combined one. You can also have the combined one only show new messages. Further more, you can also set email alerts in individual accts to go off when new mail arrives (or use light flow to add lights and other sounds).

I rooted using this method: Verizon Galaxy Note II How To Root the Note 2 EASIEST method! - YouTube
Very easy and fast. You don't lose any data in the process. Only change is that nice little super user icon. Remember, this is just rooting, not unlocking =)

Faster and easier would be http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...app-oneclick-root-patch-security-exploit.html

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I've been replaced. Now I know how my galaxy nexus feels. I hope eBay is treating him kindly =(

Lol .. so funny thing i do. I carry my Gnex and my note 2 around and tether my Gnex to it . i watch movies on the GN2 and use my Gnex to monitor the forums, everyone thinks im crazy carrying around both phones

RLLangley

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I've been trying to use the SecEmail files from sprint and AT&T to replace vzw's ones and can not make it work. However, Drakkula4 over on XDA was nice enough to help me get the ICS email and widgets working, so I'm pretty content. Here's what you need to do:

1. Root phone and get root explorer (or other root browser)

2. Navigate to system/app folder and switch over to read/write mode. Change the extensions on the SecEmail and SecExchange files (4 total) to disable them, but not delete them forever. For example, change SecEmail.apk to SecEmail.ap. If you ever want to restore it, just add the k to apk later. Do this for the 2 apk and 2 odex files there.

3. Download the 2 ICS email apks I've attached. You need to put them in the data/apps folder.

4. Turn the phone all the way off. Reboot into recovery by holding down home and volume up and the holding down power until the logo pops up. Clear the cache and reboot.

5. Go to your widgets section in the app drawer and enjoy the good ol' fashioned email widget you grew up with.

Should the Email.apk and Exchange2.apk file you download be renamed to SecExchange.apk and SecMail.apk or leave them as is?

alvarez13

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
Should the Email.apk and Exchange2.apk file you download be renamed to SecExchange.apk and SecMail.apk or leave them as is?
Nope. Your goal is to disable the sec files, not replace/overwrite them. Those are the touchwiz email programs and widget. You could delete them if you wanted, I'd just rather disable in case I needed to go back.

The files attached are basically like installing a brand new email program and widget to your phone. No need to change a thing about them. Pure jelly bean email.

RLLangley

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Ok got the old JellyBean email to work but decided to go back and try to restore to stock. Deleted the Email.apk and Exchange2.apk and renamed the old files to their original names and they didn't show back up. I show a section in my manage apps as "error". I tried to reinstall the apk and it fails. Not sure what is going on there. Not a big issue as I'm back to using maildroid but would like to see how to fix this.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Ok got the old JellyBean email to work but decided to go back and try to restore to stock. Deleted the Email.apk and Exchange2.apk and renamed the old files to their original names and they didn't show back up. I show a section in my manage apps as "error". I tried to reinstall the apk and it fails. Not sure what is going on there. Not a big issue as I'm back to using maildroid but would like to see how to fix this.
Did you reboot?

RLLangley

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Double check that you named them properly . power down, boot into recovery wipe cache then reboot

Trying that now

Same results.

Renamed SecEmail and SecExchange file correctly
Powered down
Rebooted into recovery
wiped cache
booted up and nothing installed
went into system/app and tried to install the SecEmail.apk file and it fails to install.