A way for Home button to turn on screen but not go home?

curney

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
On my gs3 when the screen is off and I press the home button it turns on the screen but stays in the app I was in when it went to sleep. On the note 2 it turns it on AND goes to the home screen. Any way to change this behavior?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Grndlvl

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
On my gs3 when the screen is off and I press the home button it turns on the screen but stays in the app I was in when it went to sleep. On the note 2 it turns it on AND goes to the home screen. Any way to change this behavior?

I just tried on mine. Mine seems to work just the way you want it to. I tried it both with the screen locked and with the screen off. Both times, when I hit the home button, the screen turned on and the browser stayed open.

gafly

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site

Is there any chance you might actually be pressing the home button twice very fast? I just tested mine and it works just like Grndlvl's.

punchfacejay

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site

I have the same problem and its so annoying! Feels counter intuitive to press the power button on the side just to wake up the screen. :-\

curney

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Thanks guys! It appears to be linked to a setting in Nova launcher. Weird. Had the same launcher on my gs3

gafly

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks guys! It appears to be linked to a setting in Nova launcher. Weird. Had the same launcher on my gs3

Are yoy sure about that? I'm using Nova Prime.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

curney

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Are yoy sure about that? I'm using Nova Prime.

If you are using nova then I don't know. I guess I will have to play around with it some more. Thanks for the help!

curney

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Now I'm even more confused. If I make the home button perform an action in nova it will turn the phone on and perform the action all with one press. I turned of nova and its happening in TW too. If I turn on a lock screen it will leave me where I was if after I unlock but I don't want a lock screen. Are you guys using lock screens?

gafly

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Now I'm even more confused. If I make the home button perform an action in nova it will turn the phone on and perform the action all with one press. I turned of nova and its happening in TW too. If I turn on a lock screen it will leave me where I was if after I unlock but I don't want a lock screen. Are you guys using lock screens?

I am using the swipe lock screen with no features other than ripple effect, owner information and the clock.

curney

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
It seems to be happening as part of the lock screen settings. Can someone turn off their lockscreen and and see if when you press the home button (((when the screen is off))) if it takes you away from whatever you were doing and takes you to the home screen? Thanks!

gafly

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
It seems to be happening as part of the lock screen settings. Can someone turn off their lockscreen and and see if when you press the home button (((when the screen is off))) if it takes you away from whatever you were doing and takes you to the home screen? Thanks!

Verified. You have 2 options:

1) Implement a screen lock
2) Remove the Nova feature that allows you to assign an action to the home key after going to the home screen.

Decisions... Decisions...

Markster1

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Now that would be true, if you are not using a lockscreen passing the home button would take you to the home button.

Sent from my Verizon Note 2, finally!

curney

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Now that would be true, if you are not using a lockscreen passing the home button would take you to the home button.

Sent from my Verizon Note 2, finally!

Thank you! I guess I will just set my screen to never time out. :what:

derektaylor55

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Same problem here. Driving me crazy. I've tried every combination I can think of to get my phone to do what it used to do before JB. I use my phone in my car a lot so I dont use a lock screen. However, the other times I'm not in my car and the screen times out when I am reading an article or something and I press the home button it wakes the screen up and goes back to home screen. If I unlink the "default action" in nova prime, it will not let my home button take me to the home page when on other tabs. Frustrating. I wish there was an easy fix to this. I mean I have had 4-5 droids and never had a problem with this when I just used "no lock".

gafly

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
If I unlink the "default action" in nova prime, it will not let my home button take me to the home page when on other tabs.

Are you sure about that? If you set the home button action to none and have the "only on default screen" option checked it should switch back to the home screen if you are on another screen.

derektaylor55

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
If i am in the browser or something it will go home screen, but if i am on one of the other pages it will not take me back to the default home page. If that makes since. So basically it will close an app, but it will not go to default home screen.

Are you sure about that? If you set the home button action to none and have the "only on default screen" option checked it should switch back to the home screen if you are on another screen.

derektaylor55

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
So I think that I have found the solution to the problem thanks to insane42 and his advice in the thread linked below. My problem was I had S-voice disabled, because it doesn't work very well at all for me.

I turned it back on and checked the "open via the home key" under apps>s voice>settings...you can then change the default actions via whatever launcher you want and should work fine. Mine now does with with nova prime. good luck .

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sprint-galaxy-s-iii/223111-using-home-button-wake-up-jellybean.html

Tari

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
So I think that I have found the solution to the problem thanks to insane42 and his advice in the thread linked below. My problem was I had S-voice disabled, because it doesn't work very well at all for me.

I turned it back on and checked the "open via the home key" under apps>s voice>settings...you can then change the default actions via whatever launcher you want and should work fine. Mine now does with with nova prime. good luck .

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sprint-galaxy-s-iii/223111-using-home-button-wake-up-jellybean.html

I can confirm that the above fix works. Pretty funky way to resolve the issue, but hey, I'm not going to complain. My home button finally isn't backing out of my apps on screen wakeup anymore.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith