For those wondering, no, the Verizon Note II isn't SIM unlocked.

cj100570

Spoken Word?
Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Seeing as how the Galaxy Note II apparently has the GSM radios, I decided to modify a T-Mobile SIM to see if it would work. Sadly....

2012-12-04 00.11.42.png

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I saw another post where a guy was using an AT&T SIM card and it worked.

And you can get them unlocked pretty easily.

pete1118

Dec 6, 2009
Visit site
As far as I know, assuming your account is in good standing you just have to call support to get an unlock code. At least that is the way it used to be, I have not tried it with my note II yet, no need at the moment.

OC Nut

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
I've read elsewhere (either in the other thread here or on XDA) that it's not that it's locked, but that Samsung or Verizon have taken out the ability to change the APN (may be solvable if rooted). I'm not sure how this squares with the OP's experience, but have heard that when you buy it, Verizon asks if you want it set for global use and if so, they (presumably) unlock it at that point. But even though it's unlocked, it can only be used as a dumb phone.

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
"For those wondering, no, the Verizon Note II isn't SIM unlocked."

Hmmmmm... a confusing way to say the SIM is locked. :p

dr_hfuhuhurr

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
even though it's unlocked, it can only be used as a dumb phone.

This would be very, very bad. We just called to get it unlocked and were told, "All Verizon 4G phones come unlocked." I just tried with a PCCW sim I got in Hong Kong on my last trip...said the same thing as above, that it's a non-Verizon sim and was not supported.

cj100570

Spoken Word?
Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
As far as I know, assuming your account is in good standing you just have to call support to get an unlock code. At least that is the way it used to be, I have not tried it with my note II yet, no need at the moment.

I just got off the phone with them and it is "claimed" that the phone is already sim unlocked. I explained to the rep that I have tried both an AT&T and T-Mobile sim with no luck. He explained that a foreign sim would work just fine.

dr_hfuhuhurr

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I just got off the phone with them and it is "claimed" that the phone is already sim unlocked. I explained to the rep that I have tried both an AT&T and T-Mobile sim with no luck. He explained that a foreign sim would work just fine.

I can confirm foreign sims do not work either. I have a PCCW sim and it gives me the same message.

BuyOneGetFour

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I just tried a couple of foreign SIM cards today. One is from Germany and the other is from Hong Kong. Got the same non-Verizon SIM card warning. Voice and data will not go through. Also tried my friend's AT&T GSM SIM card(post paid) and a T-Mobile USA(prepaid) SIM card... same thing.

Is Verizon guilty of false advertising by claiming that their Note 2 is SIM unlocked? :(

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I have used an AT&T sim card I got voice and data. You just need to enter the correct apn settings and you need to be rooted to do so

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

cj100570

Spoken Word?
Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
you need to be rooted to do so

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

That's the problem. We shouldn't have to be rooted. According to the in store rep, on launch day, and the Verizon website, I'm supposed to be able to just slap in a foreign SIM and be all set. 5 calls later and a trip in to a store and I still can't get the international portion of my phone to report in for duty. It's not the biggest deal in the world, my outconus trips come with a government phone, but it is a bit annoying.

MaxBuck

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Bottom line then: when I travel to Europe this year, if I root the phone, I should be able to get a European carrier's SIM card and thereby have access to both voice and data service?

MaxBuck

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Well, looks right now like I can get 2GB data service in Czech Republic for about $25 using an O2 SIM card. That looks like a pretty good deal, even for only 3-4 days of use.

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Few things. By unlocked they mean for global use. Not sure if it comes that way, but if not calling the global team will unlock it. But that will unlock it for global use only. ATT and t-mobile Sims will not work since the voice runs on different networks. Also, just and FYI, starting (1/25) tomorrow unlocking phones without a carriers permission will be illegal.

m.cnet.com/news/unauthorized-unlocking-of-smartphones-becomes-illegal-saturday/57565730

Sent from my Note II

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Also, people trying "foreign" SIMS, are you trying to use these sim cards outside the US or in the US? Because of course any foreign Sims will not work in the US. Might sound like a silly thing to ask, but I was getting that impression.

Sent from my Note II

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy