SPen funtions different on Verizon and Sprint but are interchangeable

1Brite1

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Hello. I bought both a Sprint and Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 2. Amoung the many differences is the S PEN. The Sprint one does not have tne non-touch of the stylus to perform funtions on the phone.For example, I can swipe pages or select a function without ever touching the screen with Verizon' stylus. And both sylus' are compatible with ea h phone. Tne manuals are correct for version.My question: Has any body else experieced this. Is there a way to tell which stylus model you have? Would buying one off from Samsung products page help? Thanks!

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
So let me get this right. You're saying that you can use the S Pen to do things like swipe through screens and open menus using the Verizon S Pen but not with the Sprint one?

Do me a favor, take your Verizon pen and tap it hard on an object like your desk. Let me know how it performs after that. (this is a fix for a known issue)

1Brite1

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
I guess I am going to have to actually go into the Verizon and Sprint stores to look at their models as even after "calibrating" both, they still function the same. Like I said before, the Verizon S Pen not actually having to touch the screen is totally cool. If you want to swipe to a different page it does it in the air. If you want to select a function or App, you just "tap" it without touching the screen. It has no round circle indicator that shows up like the Sprint model. I can't believe that I am the only one to have this working like this.

I tried the hard tap calibrating and also where you take the actual button cover off and calibrate to try to make them the same but they both still do their thing. And both S Pens function the same way if I use them on either phone. Trust me, if you could get this to work you would love it. I just wish I could figure out how to get the Sprint S Pen to do the same as it seems like it is missing something after using the one from Verizon.

Tari

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
If you try drawing or something with your Verizon S-Pen, does it draw before you touch the screen? Chances are you have a faulty S-Pen. If you like how it works, though, all props to you. :)

1Brite1

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Solved thanks to XDA-member:
Originally Posted by Its TwiX
All it is is that your Verizon s-pen has the pen nib jammed in so it always thinks it is touching the screen. When you get close to the screen, the Wacom technology kicks in. You can test this pretty easily. On your Sprint s-pen hold it against your pinky and do the same thing as you do with your Verizon one. It will move around without touching the screen. That's also the reason why you don't get the air view functionality on the Verizon because it always thinks it is touching the screen. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app
Yea! You are totally right. I wasn't sure at first what you meant by the pinky thing, but once I put my pinky on the tip of the S Pen and tried to swipe or whatever, it works. I guess now I just need to "jam" the rib in on the Sprint one and I will be good to go! HA! Thanks so much. You made my night.

1Brite1

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
If you try drawing or something with your Verizon S-Pen, does it draw before you touch the screen? Chances are you have a faulty S-Pen. If you like how it works, though, all props to you. :)
No, that is the cool part. It only writes/draws when touching screen, but for everything else, it is done in the air. That is why I love it.

kerrdj

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
When I got my phone at first I freaked out because my s pen worked about 3 inches from my phone. It continuously got better with use and fixed itself before a couple hours passed.

Sent from my Verizon Note Duece

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol