"SD card unexpectedly removed"

fyrekraker

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Then "preparing SD card".This happens almost everytime I awaken the phone. I picked up and "inexpensive" 16g SD card for pics and music, but it seems the phone keeps losing track of it. It just takes a few seconds and everything is fine but it's a little annoying. Is this likely an issue with the Sd card ( I have re-formatted it), or some kind of issue with the phone? what do y'all think?

brentj

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
One time I removed my SD card without unmounting it first and got the message "SD card unexpectedly removed." Now I know not to do that. I've never gotten that again.

When I completely power off my phone and then restart it, there is a small icon in the notification area, and when I open it it says "Preparing SD card. Checking for errors." But that is the ONLY time I get that message.

If you get both of these, and you get them every time you just turn the screen back on, that doesn't sound right.

I am using a Sandisk Ultra class 10 micro SD card. That's a brand that I trust and gets good reviews. If I were you and had a cheaper, slower SD card and this was occurring, I'd sure try a Sandisk class 10 card. I think I got my 64GB card for $47.

You might also check that the card's contacts are clean and the card is well-seated.

fyrekraker

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm just using a cheap class 4, but yes, it's new, the contacts are clean and it seems well seated. I've used similar cards in older devices and never had this recurring issue. I guess I'm curious if a card will cause this or if my devive may be defective.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm just using a cheap class 4, but yes, it's new, the contacts are clean and it seems well seated. I've used similar cards in older devices and never had this recurring issue. I guess I'm curious if a card will cause this or if my devive may be defective.
Only way to know is to try a different card. Sounds to me like that one may be corrupt. I would back up any thing you have on. It To Your computer to be safe. Maybe try to format it. But beat way to be sure it isn't your device is to get a hold of another card and try it

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I would transfer your data from the card to your PC. Format the card in the device and re-install your data. See if that helps.

Could be that "inexpensive" card.

lgreenberg

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
I started having this issue with a week old Note 2 and a 32GB SanDisk Class 4 Micro SD.

Funny thing was it didn't start happening until after a week of usage.

I reformatted card, reloaded content and it seemed to help. Phone went from dropping SD card 24/7 to only 3 times or so per day.

Then I picked up a Samsung 32GB Class 10 Micro SD and haven't had the issue once.

geoffrevz

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
yeah, me too.. just when awaken the screen, at the top, it will say SD card unexpectedly removed and directly preparing sd card, and then it has nothing happen, it bothers for this 2 days, dun know what happen with that, im using samsung galaxy note 2 with 32gb sandisk sd card. if anybody knows that any solution? i have formated with windows FAT32, nothing changed. anybody could help? thanks you so much

William_KM

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
OK -
My wife and I bought a Samsung Note 2 and both of us have installed a Sandisk 32GB Class 10 Micro SD.
Within a day of each other, we started encountering the following EVERYTIME we use our phones:

SD CARD UNEXPECTEDLY REMOVED
REMOVING SD CARD
PREPARING SD CARD

I can't find any reason why it is doing this.
We have saved everything off of the SD Micro Cards, and reformatted, yet same issue - has anyone found a solution yet?
Thanks,

Ichi_Bear

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
I have a 64GB Class 10 SanDisk Ultra Micro SD in my Samsung Galaxy S3. I bought it while ago via Amazon UK. I put it in the phone and formatted it. I haven't had any problems with it. I'm sure there are a few faulty cards out there as well as a few counterfeits. The only thing I would recommend, is that you buy from a trusted source and return faulty cards. Also report suspected counterfeit items. Regarding cheaper Micro SD cards, be weary as these may not be as reliable. ;)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

sh119

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Same thing happens to my phone, everytime I awaken the phone, it show the message "SD card unexpectedly removed.".

Tried removed and put back the card with power off, it doesn't help. Formated the card using the phone format util, doesnt help also.
Pls help.

GiozireX2

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Running Galaxy note 2 Portuguese version (tmn) with SanDisk 32GB class 10 and started having the symptoms 3 days ago and couldnt solve it yet.
Some app update? ?

fyrekraker

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Same thing happens to my phone, everytime I awaken the phone, it show the message "SD card unexpectedly removed.".

Tried removed and put back the card with power off, it doesn't help. Formated the card using the phone format util, doesnt help also.
Pls help.

Format it from your computer, that worked for me and I haven't had the issue recur since my last post on this thread. And I'm using a cheap sd card..

eps

May 7, 2011
Visit site
These problems exemplify the wisdom of Google's decision to forgo external storage on the Galaxy Nexus and eliminate apps to SD entirely in Jelly Bean?

I was planning to get a Note 2 but with this and the youtube media volume bug, i'll have to reconsider, sadly.

Ichi_Bear

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
I bought a SanDisk Ultra Class 10 64GB micro SD card from Amazon for my Galaxy S3 a few weeks ago. I've not had a problem with it so far. I formatted the card in the phone initially. There are some faulty cards out there and a few counterfeits. I previously bought a SanDisk 32GB class 4 card for my Galaxy S2 before I upgraded, and found it very reliable. I would definitely return the card and ask for a replacement or a refund. The reason why I ordered the new card from Amazon is because I know that they have a very good returns policy. I recently ordered a spare battery via them which was supplied by a 3rd party seller. It was not the genuine article! I returned the battery, reported the seller, and got a full refund without any problems. Buy from a trusted source. I got the Galaxy S3 because it had an expandable memory slot and have had no problems with them. They come in handy for flashing custom Roms and backups. I hope this advice is useful. Good luck :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

superlawyer15

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
i dont think this is a problem with the sd cards

too many people are having the same issue, its a software/hardware problem
i've read in forums that samsung products have been shipping with the ribbon connecting the sd card loose

sudbury78

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Mine has Been doing it for about a week even after a re format. It's creaky the phone because there are tons of threads all over the web. I'd jokingly say we have preyed we own an apple.. Aways buying things. Just ordered another one via bestbuy at their awesome 29.99 price for the 32gb class 10 sandisk

sudbury78

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Bought a new one because if and when it says corrupt which is happening I will want a new one on hand fir my pics and music.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad