"SD card unexpectedly removed"

SexiLexi08

Oct 4, 2010
Visit site
I am with someone else who said it has to be the phone because I am on my second SD card that has had this issue. Both were sandisk 32gb class 4. I actually had the issue first on my GS2 then I upgraded to the GS3 and that card finally died. And now I am having the issue with the new card which I have had not even 2 months. It would be very nice if samsung would address this issue.

jodyberry

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
yeah this was an issue in the thread a while back and it all boils down to the 32 gigabyte SanDisk card. That's the same card I had and I swapped it out for my 16 gigabyte card and I've had no problems ever since. Except obviously the problem of not having enough space!

Sent from my Samung "Brick"

RichardClark

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know how to report this issue to Samsung? I doubt they are reading this post. The more people report this directly to Samsung, the more likely it will get their attention to be fixed

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

SexiLexi08

Oct 4, 2010
Visit site
I may have missed it in other places (as I've been reading a few different threads on this subject today) but does it seem to be mainly SanDisk 32gb? Because I too swapped it out for my 16gb but I'd like more space than that.

kadamhill

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Apparently some of the new micro SD cards are too thin, especially the SanDisk. Heard this on another forum and inserted a small folded piece of paper in the slot with the card (opposite side from the contacts of course) and immediately my problems were gone. I was able to format the card on the phone, something I had tried and tried to do before. This issue didn't start until the card had been in the phone and working for 6 months. My guess is that eventually the contacts and/or slot loosens very slightly and the problems begin. I've heard people complain about this after dropping their phones so again, probably the slot loosens just a bit for one reason or another and the card goes on the fritz.

You might also use tape on the labeled side of the card. If it's 'invisible tape' you may need 2-3 layers but as long as it still slides into the slot, it should be good. Hope that does the trick, I was about to order a new card but now I'll just save the $$.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Apparently some of the new micro SD cards are too thin, especially the SanDisk. Heard this on another forum and inserted a small folded piece of paper in the slot with the card (opposite side from the contacts of course) and immediately my problems were gone. I was able to format the card on the phone, something I had tried and tried to do before. This issue didn't start until the card had been in the phone and working for 6 months. My guess is that eventually the contacts and/or slot loosens very slightly and the problems begin. I've heard people complain about this after dropping their phones so again, probably the slot loosens just a bit for one reason or another and the card goes on the fritz.

You might also use tape on the labeled side of the card. If it's 'invisible tape' you may need 2-3 layers but as long as it still slides into the slot, it should be good. Hope that does the trick, I was about to order a new card but now I'll just save the $$.

Thanks. Sounds like this is most likely what is happening. Myself I've been using the older 32GB SD card from my Thunderbolt and have had no problems.

RichardClark

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Oddly, I've been doing the same thing and it is the 32gb SanDisk from my old ThunderBolt that had problems. The 16gb SanDisk from a BlackBerry has been working fine in the GN2.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

universeand

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know how to report this issue to Samsung? I doubt they are reading this post. The more people report this directly to Samsung, the more likely it will get their attention to be fixed

When I registered my phone at Samsung I thought I recalled an area where you could make service requests.

GreenToxon

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Add me to the list as well, went since Cyber Monday last year to about a week ago and I started having the same errors. And if you guessed it, it's a 32GB SanDisk Class 10 (Red/Gray) one. :-\

I have the Titanium Gray, GN2 from Sprint that I got on launch day.

keem5

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
I tried everything , no solution yet.. Yesterday my GN2 did not recognize my card for whole day then i connect to my pc it went back to normal recognize the card. this is defiantly something to do with Samsung, they have to fix this issue.

Spencmm

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
I have a galaxy s2 epic touch 4g from sprint using a SanDisk ultra 32gb class 10 (red and grey card). I was sure to buy a really nice card from the beginning. I've been having this problem ever since around when I updated to ICS. I immediately copied and formated my card which solved the problem sort of. The problem has happened periodically since. Every once in a while my card will have episode and come up as corrupted or blank, needing reformatting. When this happens even a PC will not recognize the card whatsoever. I tried with 3 different card readers, 1 big sd converter and 2 usb converters, on 2 computers running both windows 7 and 8 all seeing nothing, not even a blank card. My only solution is to remount the card to my phone and wait for one of the random SD card scan it does on unlock when eventually it decides that the card isn't blank or corrupted. Everything is there. Then the card acts normal with computers. This must be some problem with ICS or another update I've done because the cause of the problem is the phone. I will be trying the suggestion by kadamhill to add tape or something to thicken the card. I'll be following this post until I find a solution

hellcharlotte

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
I was facing the same situation with my Sony Xperia Acro S, Im using SanDisk microSDHC card 32GB Class 10, so the problem gotta be either Android or Sandisk compatible itself but i can still view my files in micro sd card on my computer using card adapter, so i managed to backup the pictures and videos. Then i tried format it to exfat, fat32, ntfs on my Window7 Ultimate with card reader as i read in forum, they were not really worked perfectly in phone, some were not supported in phone. Finally i tried format the micro sd card on my phone, and it worked perfectly. There are few files installed on card when you format it on phone itself, its FAT32 btw. So I wonder whats the problem actually, might be bug after updating os or maybe need a proper formatted sd card on phone when the first time you bought the memory card. But its not only happen with Samsung, its either Android or Sandisk, I dont know but i finally fixed my problem here, hope you guys too :)

dannyg000

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
The same thing is happening to my Droid Charge. I bought a new phone, now the same thing is happening to my Galaxy S2. I am using a 32GB SanDisk card. The constantly mounting and preparing of the card, I think is draining my battery. The phone is always hot and the battery will only last about 4-5 hours even if it it just sitting in my case.

greencharger

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I had a very similar problem for the past few weeks.. Galaxy Note N7100 with SanDisk ultra 32GB class 10.

Would show the same "Preparing SD Card" thing and then "Safe to remove." Would show up every single time I restarted the phone. Problem didn't show up until at least a month of using the phone/card. I now suspect that it was because a friend tossed the phone back to me on the bed while I was sleeping, phone bounced on the bed...which may have momentarily unseated the SD Card, thus removing it without un-mounting. After that the problem would happen every single time I restarted my phone.

Initially I got around it by first letting the phone do the scan, then restarting the phone when it showed safe to remove, and then locking the screen. It would be fine afterwards. But I eventually got frustrated as anyone would who spent so much money on getting the best equipment.

Also, the card did have folders that had been copied and renamed beginning with a "mju" character, and I eventually did start having problems even moving files from my internal memory to external.

Today I went through the forums, and did the following, which completely solved my problem (so far, so good!) and none of that "Preparing SD Card..." and "Safe to remove" rubbish shows up anymore when I start or restart my phone:

1. Backed up all my data by removing the card, and inserting directly into computer.

2. Reinserted and did a format on my phone. Format took like half a second, but I had my doubts about how little time it took the phone to wipe 22 gigs of data and format a card! (even though the "restart test" showed that it no more did the "Preparing SD Card" thing) but for good measure, I inserted the card back into my computer, did a FULL exFAT format with a 64 bit cluster size. Took almost an hour.

3. Reinserted into my phone to check. Things were somehow even faster now. And no more errors still.

4. Returned all my data to the card (took around 3 hours to return 22 gigs of data back to the newly formatted SD Card)

5. No problem whatsoever ever since.

6. For good measure, I have stuck a piece of scotch tape going over both sides of the SD Card to make it an even tighter fit inside the slot and protect against unseating the card if the phone is dropped or handled roughly. This Samsung model does seem to have an SD Card slot that doesn't feel quite as well made to me as my previous Nokia devices.

N.B: When I bought the card, I hadn't bothered with any formatting. Just slapped it into the device like I always do, but from now on, I will properly format a card as a matter of good practice before using, esp. when it's a 32G or above card.

ToddL

May 7, 2011
Visit site

I did this, cut a business card to fit into the other side of the card slot. It helped, but didn't cure it completely. I'd say I get the error about 20% as often as I used to. Perhaps I'll try the format thing someday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12