Quick Commands Not Working

atlas9171

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
But that's the thing...I've been doing that. I pull up the command pad and then draw a command...then nothing. No dialer. Does it work for you now?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Just curious since when I first tried it I was doing this but....are you holding the button down when drawing the command? I figured I was suppose to before I went through the help thing and realized I wasn't suppose to hold the pen button down once I got into quick commands app.

SRVBluesman

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
Not holding it down. Like I said in my first post-I get the quick commands screen to come up, and even can write a command, but then it does nothing-just closes after 2-4 seconds (almost like a force ). Maybe I will be seeing Verizon after all. Another question...are you all using screen protectors? I don't think that would have anything to do with it, as I can use the sylus everywhere else.

ishore99

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I to had the same issue. But I printed the manual and found what I did wrong. First you need to take the S pen and move it from the home key to the top of the screen. Another screen will open and that is where you give the commands.

Good luck.

atlas9171

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
I have a screen protector and it hasn't caused any major issues other than I think the pen will eventually tear it up

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

SRVBluesman

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
Do you all (those with quick commands working) have swype as well as the stock Samsung Keyboard pre installed? If so I wonder if that's it...

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

atlas9171

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
I'm almost to the point to where I'm wondering if there is some issue with the S pen, even though it apparently works in every other situation.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm almost to the point to where I'm wondering if there is some issue with the S pen, even though it apparently works in every other situation.

But once quick commands is open you can draw the command with your finger so I doubt it's the pen.

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

atlas9171

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
But once quick commands is open you can draw the command with your finger so I doubt it's the pen.

Yeah, I'm at a loss on this one, doesn't make much sense, would think by now there would be more complaints if it was a widespread problem. It can be a bit temperamental with the symbols but it usually works for me so I have no idea at this point.

SRVBluesman

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
UPDATE:

Wednesday: I stopped in a local Verizon kiosk at my mall and tried the quick commands on another Note. Worked perfectly. They said I'd have to call Customer Service to get a replacement. (Note: The employee didn't even know about the feature!) So I called Verizon (*611) and spoke with a "head tech" (whatever that means). He had no idea what was going on esp. given the factory reset I tried. He said the only option was to get a new device or try a different Gmail account (which I really don't want to move my stuff to a new one). Because the Note is an "iconic" device, they wouldn't ship me one unless I prepaid for it (then would be reimbursed when they received my "defective" phone. So I planned to pick up a new one on Thursday.

Thursday: I picked up a new one. After logging into my Gmail account during activation, I tried QC again...still no go. The employee there again had no idea about the feature, but suggested maybe I ought to try a different Gmail account. I said I would later (I had another appointment). So later, I skipped adding my Gmail account (after doing a factory reset) and BAM...Quick Commands worked! But what about my Gmail account....I added it after activation, and BAM-quick commands doesn't work again. THUS THE PROBLEM LIES WITH MY GMAIL ACCOUNT.

I want to note that I use two step authentication (through Google). Is this the problem? Do any of you use two step authentication with Gmail? I'd still love for QC to work, but do I want to sacrifice security for my main digital account to use it? (I'm going to try to post on Samsung's site about the problem).

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
UPDATE:

Wednesday: I stopped in a local Verizon kiosk at my mall and tried the quick commands on another Note. Worked perfectly. They said I'd have to call Customer Service to get a replacement. (Note: The employee didn't even know about the feature!) So I called Verizon (*611) and spoke with a "head tech" (whatever that means). He had no idea what was going on esp. given the factory reset I tried. He said the only option was to get a new device or try a different Gmail account (which I really don't want to move my stuff to a new one). Because the Note is an "iconic" device, they wouldn't ship me one unless I prepaid for it (then would be reimbursed when they received my "defective" phone. So I planned to pick up a new one on Thursday.

Thursday: I picked up a new one. After logging into my Gmail account during activation, I tried QC again...still no go. The employee there again had no idea about the feature, but suggested maybe I ought to try a different Gmail account. I said I would later (I had another appointment). So later, I skipped adding my Gmail account (after doing a factory reset) and BAM...Quick Commands worked! But what about my Gmail account....I added it after activation, and BAM-quick commands doesn't work again. THUS THE PROBLEM LIES WITH MY GMAIL ACCOUNT.

I want to note that I use two step authentication (through Google). Is this the problem? Do any of you use two step authentication with Gmail? I'd still love for QC to work, but do I want to sacrifice security for my main digital account to use it? (I'm going to try to post on Samsung's site about the problem).

That's crazy that your account is effecting the commands. Let's see what samsung says about it

SRVBluesman

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
Samsung chat was pretty useless. They want me to isolate the issue by trying another gmail account. I may try it later (without authentication). Any ideas on how to easily switch gmail accounts if this indeed fixes it?

John Campbell

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
hmm,I was having an issue with the Command figured It was a software issue, so I left it alone waiting for an update, until I came across this thread and decided to check it again. It now seems to be working fine but I updated to google + trying to fix the Gmail hang up and just updated Gmail as well and both are now working quite well. Whether you are into google + I cant say but try it, it may help you out. Try updating Gmail first.

mchlwvr614

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
I am using two step authentication and most everything seems to work. I did notice that when I created a custom quick command for Gmail that it recognizes the command but when it goes to launch Gmail it never opens. All my other custom quick commands work.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith