Galaxy Note 2 vs. Droid DNA-- which Verizon device deserves our money this holiday season?

bpw

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I looked at both. Loved the DNA's screen but really got turned off by the nonremovable battery and to a lesser extent the lack of a microSD slot. I got no assurance from the Verizon store employee when I asked about what happens if (when) the battery life declines after a while, that it's an HTC matter. Not what I wanted or expected to hear.

On the other hand the Galaxy Note II doesn't have those limitations. I've got better things to do than worry about whether the battery is going to last the day and evening. The screen is just about as nice and is bright and vivid with excellent viewing angles. People complain about the size, but I've always used two hands even when dialing, one to hold, the other to dial, and the same goes for other uses. I'm a longtime HP (RPN) calculator user, so the size is fine. In fact the go41cx app (an outstanding HP-41CX emulator, highly recommended for those who care) looks just about life size on the Note II, and that is just insanely great. The phone fits in my front pocket easily enough. Anyone who is comfortable using a good handheld calculator, not counting the miniature drugstore throwaways, should be at home using the Note II.

I'm buying the Note II. The S-Pen is great, too; I look forward to being able to take notes while on the phone, do sketches, etc. For me it was a no brainer. HUGE thanks and congratulations to Samsung for hitting this one out of the park.

Last edited:

njgsx96

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
I contemplated the Note II for a little bit but then I realized I had a Palm III already and didn't need another one. :) But seriously, they are both big phones with the best internals money can buy right now. Personally, I have the DNA and would not think of trading it for the Note II. The screen is amazing, the phone is crazy fast and it does everything I need a miniature computer to do. The Note is nice and it does have expandable memory if you need it, but I don't need the s-pen and that is the only real "extra" the Note has over the DNA. Otherwise, hands down, the DNA.

ThePapaPat

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
I must preface this with the fact that I came from the Thunderbolt. It was restarting incessantly, overheating in my pocket and apps that I use constantly (like Spotify) were not running smoothly. I went and looked at the Droid DNA before the Note 2 came out, and seriously had a compulsion to buy the phone. I resisted, and decided to wait. I had a Samsung Windows phone back in the day (Samsung Sch-i730, for those of you are into that sort of thing). Aside from it being a beast, it was one of my favorite smartphone prior to my OG Droid. So, I had some fond feelings towards Samsung as well.

Ultimately, I chose the Note 2. The size of the battery (and inability to replace it) and the lack of expandable memory (or 32gb option), were key factors in my decision. Also, this phone is available on every carrier in the US, and widely available internationally, so the case and accessory selection was going to be much larger. I also had more faith in Samsung to deliver future updates, even though we are on Verizon. That's just a guess, and time will tell whether or not I was right.

However, it only took a couple of hours to realize that the Verizon variant was not exactlythe same as it's carrier siblings. The Verizon variant lacks the wireless charging pins for future case options (this can be accomplished via hack), blocking mode and the 4x4 calendar (aka SPlanner) widget have been removed, as well as some other things that have been noted on other forums. I am most upset about the wireless charging capability being gone, but I'm more irritated that they felt the need to remove it to only promote the DNA more. Such is life on the best network in the US today. Also, the S-Pen functions do not seem to work with third party launchers. If someone has had success with this, I would be delighted to hear!

In conclusion, the Note 2 is an amazing phone that I couldn't be happier with. However, if I had a phone that I could have lived with, I may have waited until after CES and MWC in February to see what was on the horizon. I loved the DNA's screen, but it wasn't a compelling enough reason to buy it.

Best of luck and I hope you love whatever you end up getting!

Denelor

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
I received my Verizon GN2 the day before official release. Two disclaimers: I have never played with the DNA. I also only use my phone for actual phone calls a few times a day. My typical use case is internet, apps and, now with the S-Pen, document creation/editing.

With those admissions, I will say that the GN2 is not only the best smartphone I've ever used by a wide margin, it's probably the best electronic device/gadget I've ever used. It's already revolutionized the way I take notes (haha) at work. The hand writing recognition directly into Google Drive makes my notes instantly backed up, searchable, and infinitely malleable. Likewise the S-Pen has been extraordinarily useful when it comes to on the fly ideas. I think visually so often times my thoughts for work (not a visual/creative job) are in terms of diagrams or pictures. With the GN2 capturing those thoughts while I'm on the subway or at a coffee shop is a breeze. Also, annotating & proofing documents is awesome with the S-Pen and ezPDF.

That's all aside from the fact that the "phone" part of the phablet is a rock solid experience. You just have to accept the size of the device. It really is big. If you can accept that I can't imagine the DNA can beat it (but again, I haven't used the DNA). But this so far exceeds anything else that I've used before that I'm comfortable saying it's out front of everything else around by a good margin.

PetiePal

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Samsung Galaxy Note 2 no contest. I got mine last week on VZW and its the single best android phone I've ever used.

-battery life is insane even on lte with heavy usage.
-I get 14-18 hours daily on stock battery
-s-pen and s features are actually prey cool and useful
-coming from anything earlier the screen is gorgeous
-no one needs Sense UI. It's as cluttered and annoying as ever
-DNA non removable battery. If it dies or fails you'll never be able to replace it
-galaxy note 2 has a microsd slot...get a 64gb card and never worry about music movies or photo storage,
-radios on the note 2 are excellent. I get good lte converge even in terrible locations I used to get no signal at all
-touchwiz isn't obtrusive and it flies due to the quad core processor on the note 2
-note 2 easily rooted if thats your thing with Odin
-easy to use wifi hotspot for free on note 2
-sound and call quality is excellent.
-build quality feels very solid on both but I prefer actually the physical home button on note 2. Worth it's price JUST to never hit the home button by accident again
-android 4.2 out of the gate...
G for the note 2 it will eagerly last you
-samsung has been quick on updates, htc not so much

Coug

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I was going to upgrade from my Incredible 2 to the next nexus, so when VZW didn't pick it up I narrowed it down to the DNA and N2. I went into the local ATT store several times to play with the N2 because it was so big I was not sure it would be useful. I preordered the N2 but was ready to cancel if I liked the DNA once it came out. I was one of many who got their N2 last week and played with the DNA over the weekend and I am glad I went with the N2. The DNA is a very nice phone but for me the screen did not live up to the hype; it was nice but not a huge leap over other phones. The battery life and lack of sd card were also strikes against it. I have used my N2 pretty hard the past few days because I traveled to a professional meeting. I used it all day to take notes in meetings and it is is dream come true for that. No more notebooks or pads to lose or to carry around. I noticed a lot of people using tablets to take notes but I think it would be easier to just use a small notebook rather than haul those around. Plus the N2 has been off of the charger for 14 hours now and still has 37% of the battery. I think the DNA is a great choice for just a phone, but the N2 is a phone plus a lot more. If not for the N2 I would probably wait and see what comes out this summer, the new phones will have the nice screen plus more battery power and expandable storage.

karagounis

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I've had both phones... I got the DNA over the Thanksgiving weekend... great phone, but the lack of mSD slot killed it for me... I need the extra space.. I even tried having all my photos go to my DropBox account (then delete them on the phone) and trimmed down my mp3 to the bear minimum... this left me with 3ish GB (only 11gb to start with of usable memory)...
I don't know Verizon was thinking putting a Droid out there without a mSD slot... This HTC had/has the potential to be a GREAT phone (and it may be for those without my memory requirements)...
Did they forget their followers? Do they think we're iPhone people? WTF...
I've had the Note 2 for almost a week now.... and aside that it may be a little too big (maybe; jury is still out on whether on this)... then couple that with the long, LONG, long battery life (up 18 hours with good use) with the mult-window and mSD slot, the choice is clear: NOTE 2, hands down....

DC Damien

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Up for an upgrade. Leaning to Note 2. Just seems fun. My biggest struggle is whether to pay full freight; take the upgrade and lose unlimited; or wait and buy a refurbished S3 and save some $$$. Either way I also need to learn to root because being 6 months behind on the latest software with Verizon just sucks.

Air Force One

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
I bought both the DNA and Note 2 and will be keeping both. Some days I feel like using the DNA, other days the Note 2.

I do find myself using the Note a little more. It's more of a pain in the ass to carry around than the DNA but at the same time lends itself to getting more things done because of the larger screen. The Note 2's battery life is simply amazing, I've never experienced an Android device that can last the way this one does.

Basically if I'm going to be gone all day doing things, or working, I want the Note 2. However, If I'm going to a concert or a date or a show, etc., I want the DNA with it's sleek design and sharp ass screen. It's easy to carry, fast as hell and beautiful.

I actually find having them both to be the best of both worlds. :)

EatMyTracers

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Never used the DNA but I know now that I would have a hard time using a different phone. All the features are amazing, I use the s-pen all the time and the multitasking for writing essays and researching at the same time. My next phone will the the note 3 and I probably won't even consider another phone. Same with the note 2 I wouldn't even consider another phone.

jrz5024

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
This is posted in the Note 2 forum, so it's not exactly unbiased, and I fully expect the hate I'm about to receive. But for me, it's the DNA hands down. Here's why:
1. The screen is better. I agree that 440 PPI is overkill, but that doesn't stop it from looking absolutely fantastic regardless. I've always been a huge SAMOLED fan but Samsung's fallen behind the curve on this one.

2. Form factor plays a big role. I want a phone that is comfortable to hold and use on a daily basis. Despite its size, the DNA feels like a phone and is very comfortable for daily use. It's sleek and attractive, and many people have commented on it. The Note 2 does not, and is not. It dominates my pocket, my hand, and my face (if you're brave enough to hold this thing up to your head). It requires me to stretch to reach the other side of the screen. It doesn't feel like a phone, it feels like a mini-tablet that makes calls. Well, I already have a 10.1" tablet and a 7" tablet, I just don't feel like I need a 5.5" one as well.

3. The S-Pen is cool but gimmicky; it's a feature I can't see myself using regularly. Non-starter.

4. Battery life was my biggest concern when getting the DNA. I was fully ready to return it if it was a problem. Shockingly enough, it's not. In fact, I'm rather impressed by what the DNA can accomplish: 15-20 hours on wi-fi with a solid 5-6 hours of screen time. Is it going to set records? No. Is it as good as the Note 2? Nope. Do I wish it were removable? Of course. But when the time comes to replace the battery, I have no qualms about cracking it open to replace it myself. I'd consider it neutral.

5. Storage space... yeah, that one's a bummer. But I stream most of my media, and ~11GB is enough space with some reshuffling. It's not a deal breaker for me, though I can understand how it could be for some.

Basically, I don't think you can compare these two phones because they aren't really two phones. It's a phone and a phablet. So if you want a phone, get the DNA, which is clearly the best phone on the market. If you want a phablet, get the Note 2, clearly the best phablet on the market. But they serve different purposes entirely. Just because they're both really big doesn't mean they're the same product.

Juan Roman

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I went with note2. HTC screwed me once with battery on Thunderbolt, no way I was getting another HTC with lackluster battery. So far very happy. Battery rocks all day with heavy use and superfast software.

nosmohtac

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I am on AT&T, so I don't have the chance to choose between the Note 2 and the DNA, but I do have the choice between the Note 2 and the HTC OneX+ which other than the 1080p screen is the same as the DNA, but the OneX+ has 64gb of internal storage. I still will be going for the Note 2. I don't think I will ever buy another device from HTC. They can make some great hardware and the DNA is a great example of that, but I have yet to see an HTC device that they didn't skimp on something. It used to be the camera or the speakers, now they want to skimp on the mSD slot and user replaceable battery. Do they think that copying the worst things about the iPhone will magically bring them back to profitability? At least Apple gives people the choice of 16, 32, or 64gb sizes, even if they do charge a ridiculous $100 to go from 16gb to 32gb.

I will be getting the Note 2 and I'm eligible right now, but I'm going to wait until the holiday shopping season is over to see if Samsung actually comes out with what they said when they first introduced the Note 2 and offer it in 32gb, and 64gb sizes. If they don't, I will likely buy the 32gb international version. I could probably get by with the 16gb one because I will be putting a 64gb card in it, but If I do run out of internal storage I would rather not have to hack the phone so it sees the card as the internal storage.

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
I have a Note 2 (after selling my S3 and Nexus 7) and my roommate just got a DNA and while the screen on the DNA is undeniably better and I wish I had that screen on the Note 2. That single feature that distinguishes the DNA from other high-end Android devices is not enough to make me choose it over the dozens of unique features of the Note 2.

For some the Note 2 will simply be too large, understandable. But for those that have the hands to comfortable hold the Note 2 I don't think it's much of a contest which phone is better overall.

If HTC releases a 5.4"+ screen phone based on the DNA with an integrated stylus and software for that stylus then the choice would be more difficult.

Oh and the S-Pen IS NOT a gimmick. I use it all the time, I actually find myself using my phone with the stylus more than I use my fingers. I even write out text messages with the stylus by habit many times.

anon367353

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
People who are concerned about PPI difference should read this artcile - 1080p on a smartphone screen—can it possibly matter? | Ars Technica

1] For most people, though, it won't matter. Photos are inherently fuzzy, so it won?t matter whether they?re viewed on a 1920?1080 or 1280?720 smartphone display; you?ll still see their imperfections. Even the tiniest image detail in a photograph is always spread over more than one pixel. The image detail is never perfectly aligned with the pixel structure of the display. Videos are even worse: not only are they fuzzy like photographs, but the pictures are constantly moving. Even if the images were sharp, the human brain couldn?t zero in on content that?s appearing for only a fraction of a second on such a small display. For ordinary viewing of videos, 1920?1080 is really not going to make a visual difference.

2] Where a 1080p smartphone display could really make an impact is with computer-generated content?that is, the user interface, buttons, and text.

3] The human eye can't resolve anything higher than 229 PPI at 15" or greater.

experiment 626

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm sorry but I can't understand HTC's thought process.First they release the One X,which is a very nice device except for it's short battery life and cramped 16 GB of onboard storage w/o SD card support. Next they rollout the One X+ which seeks to correct the X's acknowledged shortcomings by increasing the battery size and upping the storage to 64 GB. Then they turn around and release the DNA which suffers from the same limitations as the original One X. Why is HTC going backward?

blaze5

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry but I can't understand HTC's thought process.First they release the One X,which is a very nice device except for it's short battery life and cramped 16 GB of onboard storage w/o SD card support. Next they rollout the One X+ which seeks to correct the X's acknowledged shortcomings by increasing the battery size and upping the storage to 64 GB. Then they turn around and release the DNA which suffers from the same limitations as the original One X. Why is HTC going backward?

DNA+ make people buy the same phone twice

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catherinediane