Galaxy Note 2 vs. Droid DNA-- which Verizon device deserves our money this holiday season?

Irvgotti

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Droid DNA. The note 2 is more for the business aspect to me. large screen , spen. stuff like that. i mean if you want the same features minus the spen get the S3. but i got the dna. i love the feel of the phone. People talk about accessories.. The dna has some pretty cool backing and stuff on amazon. Carbon fiber, brushed aluminum. feels great. But i like the dna get great battery life. Screen is stunning. And you def can tell the difference between 720p and 1080. my Galaxy nexus looks awful and so does my n7.

richard_rsp

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I've heard that Verizon removed the wireless charging from the Note 2.... While not a deal killer (by any means), it is irritating. Additionally, the $300 on contract is pretty steep. However, might be worth it.... Idk.

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
So what kind of battery life are you getting then?

first full day with the note 2......12 hrs 50 mins on the battery 4 hrs 39 min with the screen on down to 18% .... some folks have gotten better than that.....theres a thread that would give you more info. this is the best phone ever.

as for size....i came from a gs3 and was looking for big, but really, just feels natural in the hand, i don't notice the size at all except that the screen is awesome.

s pen is amazing....its not just drawing or note taking, its airview ....its handwriting recognition instead of the keyboard. its all the quick gestures. i was looking forward to it but wondering if i'd use it...i find myself using it all the time in lots of ways.

and yes any company that would make a phone or tablet :) ....without a removable battery and/or expandable memory is crazy.....

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
At first i almost got the DNA, but after careful consideration, The GN2 is the clear winner here. Larger screen, expandable storage, removable battery, Battery life in general, Samsung has a better record in up dates than HTC and i love the S PEN. S-pen is something most would say they wouldnt use it, but once you start playing with it, You start to appreciate it more like i have. Plus i cant stand SENSE....

Biac1982

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
I purchased the Droid DNA the day it hit. In my mind, the Samsung Note II is too large to feel comfortable using it as a phone. The DNA, by contrast, is considerably less wide - thus feeling more natural as a phone. As for performance, I couldn't be happier. While I saw a few odd messages during my configuration of email and browser bookmarks, the phone has been solid since. Best of all, as a PC (Win 7) user, synchronization with MS Outlook is critical. In this regard, HTC Sync Manager works very well for contacts and calendar while SymTasks is great for Outlook Tasks. Since then, however, I've changed to MyPhoneExplorer and have full Outlook synchronization (contacts, calendar, tasks, and notes) - all wirelessly. Bluetooth pairing with my car was a snap. It's also important to note that HTC tech support is very good. I've owned Samsung phones in the past and, while I liked their phones very much, I found their tech support to be dreadful. Also... took some great car shots at the LA Auto Show with the phone this past weekend. Very good camera. I'm very happy with my Droid DNA.

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
apyzara2.jpg

This was on the first day and I was to trying to kill the battery.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

dammitcubs

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Played with both. Own a DNA. The 1080p which at first would agree with you is overkill. After spending two weeks with it and getting used to that amazing screen. I saw my nexus 4 and actually saw pixels. Yes, everything just looked worse. This isn't just there, i see them on iphones as well. Just minor thinks that officially bother me. 440 isn't a myth or marketing scheme. It's real and when you add amazingly beautiful 2500x2500 wallpapers, you get the crispiest, most beautiful wallpapers ever. Also, my phone lasts me 24 hours. That's good enough for me. That's all I ever wanted.

The only thing Note 2 has is expandable memory, and battery.(also that s-pen) If you are into puttong a ton of movies/music on your phone, then go for the notes since it has an expandable slot. I don't need it as I stream all my music from Spotify. I'm not treating my phone as a tablet replacement. i have an ipad and a nexus 7. I don't need another one. the Droid Dna does everything fine and it feels the same as my Galaxy Nexus. So I'll choose this. But I won't say NOTE 2 isn't a great phone as I have recommended that phone to everyone.

As for the S-pen. I love how responsive it is, but I think the S-pen is truly better on the Galaxy Note 10.1 and I'm gonna wait. Because when they launch a 300ppi version of the galaxy note 10.1 with S-pen. That's my new tablet!!!!

preferiti

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
I think what alot of people are forgetting is that this can be connected to an HDMI cable. Get the MHL adapter, load up a 1080p video from a usb drive and watch it on the big screen. I have the original Xoom and since it's only 720p having the capability to watch FULL HD on a big screen will be nice. The limited space and "small" battery is only a problem if you want to make it a problem. I'm not constantly on my phone as my job doesn't allow me the accommodation to sit on my phone all day and game and watch movies. When i'm on my phone it's for recreational use. If you need a phone that you will be on 24/7 then yes get a phone with a bigger battery. However, the majority of people are not those people who need to look at a 5" screen all day.

matrix2004

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I haven't posted on here in a while but i just had to this time. Its not even close or fair to compare the DNA or any other Android phone or Iphone or whatever phone to the Note2. Its just that much better.

nismo591

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I haven't posted on here in a while but i just had to this time. Its not even close or fair to compare the DNA or any other Android phone or Iphone or whatever phone to the Note2. Its just that much better.

I'm not sure what you mean I have my note 2 and enjoy it but it's not far and away the best phone on all levels. I got rid of my DNA but only because it didn't suit me and my needs. Honestly it was faster through ui (both sense and nova) functions but not by much. I have noticed over the past few days of usage it can lag or hesitate and it has restarted on me a few times. I love the bigger screen on the note 2 but I can admit the dna was the easier device to handle one handed. It still is an awesome phone and I'm happy I got it but the dna had certain aspects I enjoyed more. The screen on the note 2 is more vibrant with better color saturation but the dna had an incredibly sharp screen. i love I have come from the s3, nexus, razr, bionic, thunderbolt and many iphones so I have some general knowledge.

In the end is all about about user preferences and choice.

Kale Blossom

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
If you loved the old Palm PDAs way back when(like I loved mine in High School) go for the note 2. It has a feel much like a palm PDA, but no jarring corners(like Palm's Tungsten E2- the one I had). The thing is SUPER customizable with the page buddies. I have widgets set up automatically for music and podcasts which pop up automatically when I plu in headphones. When I pull out the pen, it automatically pops open a blank note for me, and when I tap the home button I get well... attached :)

If you also like to have a removable battery, another plus for the note 2. My only qualm is the note 2 feels VERY light. In fact, most of the weight is the battery. But perhaps the device is just light for it's size or something and weighs about as much as most other phones. Regardless, after a few days you cease to notice how light your device is because you'll be using it, probably with a case.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1354673211402.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1354673211402.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 370

jod1

May 17, 2011
Visit site
How do these phones compare to the Moto razr maxx hd? I am switching to Verizon in a couple of weeks and have to decide which phone to get. I really need mhl/hdmi(screen out ability) and expandable storage. I am leaning toward the maxx hd because of the battery life and price(even though its 199 w/upgrade).

What do you guys think?

@yveslune83

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I too am debating these phones. After spending about 20 minutes with them in the store, I was definitely more impressed with the feel of the DNA. If felt more solid, better constructed and easier to handle. Whilst the super high ppi may be very kill, it made it substantially easier to read certain webpages without zooming in. The Note 2 has a good screen, but it felt a little too big to hold or to put next to my head. I think I will probably buy the DNA and if the battery life becomes a problem, I will then trade it in for a Note 2.

nismo591

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
How do these phones compare to the Moto razr maxx hd? I am switching to Verizon in a couple of weeks and have to decide which phone to get. I really need mhl/hdmi(screen out ability) and expandable storage. I am leaning toward the maxx hd because of the battery life and price(even though its 199 w/upgrade).

What do you guys think?

My opinion is note 2 but that's bc your on a note 2 forum. Best bet is to go to the store and hold each. Battery life on my note has been outstanding, I bought a second battery since I wasn't sure and never use it unless I'm out for more than 20 hours. The razr has smart functions which are nice but the note 2 with s pen are a better option for me.

gafly

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site

What do you guys think?

Both devices will last you all day and then some with the Maxx edging out the Note II just a little. The past 2 days (working days) my Note's battery life has been over 30 hours. It drops to about 23 to 25 on the weekends if this past weekend is any indication of my regular weekend use.

During the week I mainly use the device for email, calendar, web searches, a YouTube video or two, know... the basics. The heavy use (netflix and lots of random bordem use with a lot of screen on time) comes on the weekends.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
The note is clearly the superior choice.

The larger screen, replaceable battery (lithium batteries lose some of their charge and can't be replaced in the dna, the note has expandable storage while the dna does not, the note also has those excellent features the galaxy S III has plus the added functionality of the screen pen, should definitely give the note the edge.

The dna has a nicer screen and a better aesthetic appeal but I highly doubt it's worth losing an upgrade and unlimited.

You WILL use more data if you get the dna due to lack of storage forcing you into the cloud but without unlimited data...

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile

blackmannx#AC

Panda Motherfrinkin King
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
This is debating diamonds vs platinum... Both great devices for very different use cases. I carry either depending on what my day looks like and for me it all comes down how it feels to you. The DNA has a amazing screen and for people to say you can't tell the difference then you need to have your eyes checked. That image sense cam is also killer.. Now the note 2 is a incredibly capable device that once you make part of your life you will wonder how you ever did without... but on the day you forgot your blue tooth and have to use it as a phone all day you will quickly understand the hybrid mindset.

Just get both and call one "Tuesday"

Kaboodle

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I was in the same boat, Note 2 vs DNA. It came down to basically one thing for me: do I want to worry about battery life or not? I don't have access to a charger while at work, and while you can do things to extend your battery on any phone, I got the Note 2 because I could do everything I want to do during the day and not have to worry if the battery is gonna go before the end of my day. Lots of GPS, music, web, screen time all not on wifi. Note 2 was the winner for me.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
szcad