Galaxy Note 2 vs. Droid DNA-- which Verizon device deserves our money this holiday season?

grumpyjoe

Dec 13, 2009
Visit site
Wow. Nick is pretty harsh for his first few posts. If the other guy thinks the DNA is the way to go... more power to him. Most of the people that come to this forum do a lot of research before they buy a phone. So to tell them to go to Google and look is kinda like... Duh. We already know that. Thats why we are here. But for Nick to come in here and act like this? Thats not good. I don't think the Mods will allow it. And yes I agree, Nick needs spell check.

markewallace

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Wow. Nick is pretty harsh for his first few posts. If the other guy thinks the DNA is the way to go... more power to him. Most of the people that come to this forum do a lot of research before they buy a phone. So to tell them to go to Google and look is kinda like... Duh. We already know that. Thats why we are here. But for Nick to come in here and act like this? Thats not good. I don't think the Mods will allow it. And yes I agree, Nick needs spell check.

And he's gone. And so are his posts. Good riddance.

- Mark

FilletMinion

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Andrew I was just wondering if Verizon's decision to disable wireless charging bothers you or not. I was all set to get the note 2 but I'm Hulk angry about this. Thoughts?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

livinglegend

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Andrew I was just wondering if Verizon's decision to disable wireless charging bothers you or not. I was all set to get the note 2 but I'm Hulk angry about this. Thoughts?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

As I was sitting at the verizon store just checking out both devices, I heard one guy come in and ask for the Note 2. He said that his buddy showed him the Note 2 and he loved it. He also loved the fact that there was wireless charging on his Note 2 (at&t version). The rep literally said, "Oh the Note 2 doesn't have wireless charging... however, the new Droid DNA has it. Come check it out"

Conspiracy theory maybe?

MiXoLoGiSt

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
As I was sitting at the verizon store just checking out both devices, I heard one guy come in and ask for the Note 2. He said that his buddy showed him the Note 2 and he loved it. He also loved the fact that there was wireless charging on his Note 2 (at&t version). The rep literally said, "Oh the Note 2 doesn't have wireless charging... however, the new Droid DNA has it. Come check it out"

Conspiracy theory maybe?

Surprisingly I tested this at a Verizon store near me and I explained to the girl I was looking into the Note 2 and the DNA. I really already knew I was going for the Note 2 but I wanted to see if she tried to show me the DNA and get me to buy that one instead. To my surprise she praised the Note 2 over the DNA and said the DNA just can't compare to the Note 2. I have to agree with her lol.

This particular employee was even a manager lol.

Anndrew Vacca

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I have a wireless charger on my desk at work, and at first I thought it was more of a gimmick than anything else. But after using it with my DNA, I've grown to really love it. It's quick and seamless and kills two birds with one stone, as I simply set the phone down on my desk like I normally would. That said, it's not something that has ruined me for life, and the usual wired charging on the Note 2 doesn't really bother me all that much. It would have been a nice addition, but I'm dealing just fine without it.

Anndrew Vacca

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Day 2-- The Note 2 wins the wow factor

I attended a holiday party last night with a nice mix of colleagues and friends, all in their 20s and 30s and most carrying a smartphone. I had both phones on me and used both occasionally throughout the night to text and make a few phone calls. Every time I busted out the Note 2, it attracted at least once "ooh" or "ahh". An iPhone user stopped me and wanted to chat about "that huge phone", and one person asked to put it in their pocket to get an accurate feel, as he was considering buying one himself.

The Droid DNA, on the other hand, caught nobody's eye. Not due to lack of character, as the DNA is one of the most handsome phones I've ever used, but it does appear a bit more generic than the Note 2, and certainly lacks the "wow" factor.

This isn't enough to sway me either way, as I have phone for myself and not the attention of others, but it's worth the mention.

Looking forward to spending the weekend outside of the office with these two...

dakenster

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I 2 started out with the DNA I thought the 100 dollar cheaper price tag justified the DNA over the note 2 but as I am very indecisive and had to at least try both devices I ended up getting the note 2 I used to own the Dell streak so I am no stranger to a large screen so in that regard the DNA was great also I am not the type of person who needs a removable battery but I do think if they're going to take away the micro SD support they should at least have 32 gigabytes on board storage in the end I ended up getting the note 2 and I'm glad I did I think the DNA is a great phone but it's just that a phone where the note 2 is both a phone and a tablet so now its save me from buying the Nook

- - - Updated - - -

I 2 started out with the DNA I thought the 100 dollar cheaper price tag justified the DNA over the note 2 but as I am very indecisive and had to at least try both devices I ended up getting the note 2 I used to own the Dell streak so I am no stranger to a large screen so in that regard the DNA was great also I am not the type of person who needs a removable battery but I do think if they're going to take away the micro SD support they should at least have 32 gigabytes on board storage in the end I ended up getting the note 2 and I'm glad I did I think the DNA is a great phone but it's just that a phone where the note 2 is both a phone and a tablet so now its save me from buying the Nook

dakenster

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
it's not really a competition there are different devices because there are different people with different needs so whichever device fit your personal needs and your personal taste is the 1 that is for you so if the DNA is the phone for you then great if you rather have the note2 then great get the 1 that is for you and be happy with it but I will say this as far as streaming media goes watching movies videos ect well tell me would you choose a 46 inch TV or a 60 inchthat's where the screen is better and when it comes down to it I've watched 720p hD and 1080 they both look stellar

Mco119

May 24, 2012
Visit site
I'd definitely back the Note 2 all the way. It is one of the most well-rounded, unique and innovative devices I have ever picked up. It really does do almost everything well, and the added options provided by the S-pen are incredible. It's probably the first phone I've owned that I wouldn't change anything about.

The DNA, on the other hand, really has nothing going for it but the screen...and I don't think the advantage is particularly pronounced there; the Note 2's screen also looks fantastic. Once the allure of 1080P wears off, there's really nothing special about it. It's a nice phone, sure, but there are many nice phones out there. I suppose I don't even see it being in the same class as the Note 2.

Just my two cents.

Last edited:

rkeenan

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
I spent about 30 minutes walking back and forth between the Note 2 and the Droid DNA. Only prior HTC devices I had before was the OG Droid Incredible and the OG Evo. The only Samsung being the Galaxy Nexus. I went with the Note 2. I just didn't see anything in the DNA that made me feel like it was a jump up from other HTC phones. Screen resolution isn't everything for me. I am sure I would notice it in a side by side with the Evo, but I just am not a fan of Sense. I am excited to get my Note 2 in the mail. I originally bought a Lumia 822 but decided to return it because it was missing a about 6 very good apps that I use daily and could not find a replacement for them. The DNA just didn't do anything for me. The wireless charging was a nice touch but it didn't close the deal. I hope to see more innovation from both companies in the future though.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
You would think that considering HTC is in such bad shape financially, they would try to come with a WOW phone to outdo everyone else.

They make a phone that's slim with a nice screen but that's it.

HTC could have made a fully functional full featured killer device but instead they gimped it on the sd card and battery. Then you can't even replace the battery so that makes it even worse.

Really lackluster and not a phone a company trying to make a comeback financially should have put out.

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile

MiXoLoGiSt

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
You would think that considering HTC is in such bad shape financially, they would try to come with a WOW phone to outdo everyone else.

They make a phone that's slim with a nice screen but that's it.

HTC could have made a fully functional full featured killer device but instead they gimped it on the sd card and battery. Then you can't even replace the battery so that makes it even worse.

Really lackluster and not a phone a company trying to make a comeback financially should have put out.

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile

Well the lack of an SD card slot was a Verizon thing and not an HTC thing. Verizon has a lot of say on phones in the Droid line. The battery size and making it non removable was HTC's decision for sure though.

richard_rsp

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I originally bought a Lumia 822 but decided to return it...

I am a former palm/iphone user who also was looking at the 822 (and the DNA); but I bought the HTC 8x at the same time a small my wife got her Note 2. After I realized that my phone battery died in half the amount of time as hers, I realized that battery is a must for me. I decided to splurge and I returned the 8x for a Note 2 for me.

I have been playing with it since and I LOVE it. You will too. :) 100% worth the money.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Not to fan the flames, but there needs to be a new forum rule:

No talking about battery life for a phone that you have used for less than two days. Certainly don't talk about battery life for a phone you haven't owned. And for the love of whatever god, don't about the battery life for a phone you don't own in every thread that talks asks about battery life experience!

And yes, I know my post won't change anything...

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

John Campbell

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
The dna has huge weaknesses and minor advantages. The screen is blu Ray resolution, awesome. One bluray file is sadly all you will fit to make use of that with contacts, games, the os, your own pictures, maybe a song or two. .. The point? You can't take advantage of the ppi. To even see a single pixel on the note's MUCH lower ppi I have to get the phone about 6 inches from my face and study very hard. At 10" neither phone will show a flaw. If the dna had the storage and let's be honest a bigger screen I'd give it the credit it was due. Since it doesn't, it's just dub rims on a neon. Google arcminute. iPhone 4: the end of pixels? | News | TechRadar

The top center wake button. For all the complaints about the size of the note I cannot imagine anyone having even played with the models not noticing how awkward using this button is on the dna. Turning the phone on is a two hand job or a contact juggling feat with one. If the home button on the phone works as a wake button then why bother with the top button at all? It doesn't work, it's worse then the off centered button HTC used to use on its products, and no software or rooting will ever fix it.

Add this to an irreplaceable battery, lack of comparable features offered on the note, and the fact that HTC phones seemed to have peaked, I feel that in the long run dna will be the next tbolt.

Just play with them both before you commit!

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Well the lack of an SD card slot was a Verizon thing and not an HTC thing. Verizon has a lot of say on phones in the Droid line. The battery size and making it non removable was HTC's decision for sure though.

Stop talking and check the facts before you post. Verizon has no say on a sd card slot. The international version does not have a sd slot.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781