Galaxy Note 2 vs. Droid DNA-- which Verizon device deserves our money this holiday season?

Bowman53

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I was torn and screwed around with both for a few mins at my Verizon store. I really wanted to like the DNA over the GN2 because I really liked the form factor, but it just didnt compare to the GN2 . And yeah the screen is nice on the DNA but it isn't worth the price of admission to me......the Notes screen is pretty damn good too and it blows the DNA away in so many other areas.

anonymous-x

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
First I will say Thank You to AndroidCentral. Second to all the writers. I'm not one to speak but it's been a long time since my first cell phone. I now have the Note 2 I605 & I am so glad a phone has arrived that suits my needs. Please continue with the research with this phone. Ok you may need a case but this is a phone fit for the masses.

revelated

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
This thread has been informative. But I see almost everyone truly glossing over facts, and it bothers me, since the underlying facts are the REAL decision points to consider.

Positives on the Note circle around:
  1. S-Pen,
  2. perceptions of a faster TouchWiz vs. Sense,
  3. assumptions that the naked eye can't perceive quality differences between it and the DNA,
  4. SD card slot/expandable storage,
  5. and removable battery.

Positives on the DNA circle around
  1. Build quality,
  2. General appearance,
  3. "hold in hand"-ability,
  4. radio quality,
  5. 1080p screen,
  6. and Beats.

I'm troubled that people are blatantly ignoring the truly differentiating features of these two devices. They may not matter to the majority, but they need to be called out for decision making.

• Wireless charging. The DNA has it, the Galaxy Note II does not. This is a HUGE differentiator, since the DNA is one of select few phones with this capability.
  • DNA's bootloader can be unlocked; the Note II's cannot (at least not to my present knowledge)
  • Don't forget about the Exynos security flaw (Note II). Shouldn't affect anyone who's on the legal, or running an already patched ROM, but I note it as a finding.
  • The Note II is $100-$200 more expensive off contract; $100 more expensive on contract than the DNA.
  • S-Beam in the Note 2 is vastly superior in implementation to any other NFC-based system, including WiFi Direct. The DNA doesn't even come close in this category.
  • Note 2 is available on pretty much every contract carrier; the DNA is locked to Verizon.
  • Note 2's max screen brightness is pathetic compared to pretty much every other phone except the Galaxy S3 (of course).
  • DNA's front camera quality is simply shocking. I've never seen a front camera dish out an image that clear in decent lighting.
  • Touchwiz to this day goes out of its way to obscure what makes Jelly Bean an improved operating system. Sense has just as much bloat as it did back in the Incredible days, it's just blended into the OS further, but it's still there as a heavy OS that eats up what little memory the DNA does have. Both Samsung and HTC need to take notes from Motorola; BLUR is what other UIs should strive to: Looks and acts like Jelly Bean, light to the front, but still unique in application.

Again, maybe the majority won't care about the bulk of those. But they should definitely be noted.

The other candidate that has me conflicted - and unfortunately I've defeated - is the 8X. I was close to pulling the trigger, but its one deal breaker: no SKY.FM app.

Last edited:

pd240

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
The Note 2 bootloader was unlocked a couple weeks ago. Development has already gotten off to a good start.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

revelated

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
The Note 2 bootloader was unlocked a couple weeks ago. Development has already gotten off to a good start.

Noted and updated. Though the fact that the unlock isn't publicly accessible or available still puts a win in the DNA's pocket, where a single click tool is available to do just about everything.

livinglegend

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
This thread has been informative. But I see almost everyone truly glossing over facts, and it bothers me, since the underlying facts are the REAL decision points to consider.

1. S-Pen,
  3. assumptions that the naked eye can't perceive quality differences between it and the DNA,

1. Build quality,
  2. General appearance,
  4. radio quality,
  5. 1080p screen,
  6. and Beats.

I'm troubled that people are blatantly ignoring the truly differentiating features of these two devices. They may not matter to the majority, but they need to be called out for decision making.

• Wireless charging. The DNA has it, the Galaxy Note II does not. This is a HUGE differentiator, since the DNA is one of select few phones with this capability.
  • DNA's bootloader can be unlocked; the Note II's cannot (at least not to my present knowledge).
  • The Note II is $100-$200 more expensive off contract; $100 more expensive on contract than the DNA.
  • S-Beam in the Note 2 is vastly superior in implementation to any other NFC-based system, including WiFi Direct. The DNA doesn't even come close in this category.
  • Note 2 is available on pretty much every contract carrier; the DNA is locked to Verizon.
  • Note 2's max screen brightness is pathetic compared to pretty much every other phone except the Galaxy S III (of course).
  • DNA's front camera quality is simply shocking. I've never seen a front camera dish out an image that clear in decent lighting.
  • Touchwiz to this day goes out of its way to obscure what makes Jelly Bean an improved operating system. Sense has just as much bloat as it did back in the Incredible days, it's just blended into the OS further, but it's still there as a heavy OS that eats up what little memory the DNA does have. Both Samsung and HTC need to take notes from Motorola; BLUR is what other UIs should strive to: Looks and acts like Jelly Bean, light to the front, but still unique in application.

Again, maybe the majority won't care about the bulk of those. But they should definitely be noted.

The other candidate that has me conflicted - and unfortunately I've defeated - is the 8X. I was close to pulling the trigger, but its one deal breaker: no SKY.FM app.

Wireless charging on the Verizon Note 2 is indeed not VISIBLY present. If you took off the chasis and looked at the motherboard, the pins for Qi Wireless charging are there. If you really wanted to, you could mod the Note 2 for wireless charging. The biggest issue with wireless charging is just the amount of time it takes. The Note 2 comes with a 2 Amp charger, the equivalent of a iPad or tablet charger, so it charges quickly. Wireless charging, as far as I know, is usually 500 mA which would take A LONG TIME given the Note 2's massive battery.

The Verizon Note 2's bootloader can be unlocked. Go look at Adam Outlier's thread on xda.

Everything else you said is true/your opinion.

watergates1

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
It's a very fortunate thing that the wife added a line so she could grab a S3. Now, after only a year, I'm eligible for another upgrade. The timing couldn't be any better seeing as how I absolutely despise the Rezound.

I'm a short guy with normal sized hands and I love the N2. I've played around with it for a bit, and I know it's a phone that I will be happy with for the next two years or so. I was concerned with the pocketability initially, but it fits with a flip cover in my work Dickies or casual 501's even better than my Rezound because of its thinness. Plus, the N2 features appeal to me a lot more than the DNA's. Screen resolution and Beats mean nothing to me. That's how I got caught last time. SMH...

1 month left... Although, you couldn't sell me another HTC product even if it came with Sanaa Lathan.

techgeek32#WN

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site

1. S-Pen,

1. Build quality,
  2. General appearance,
  4. radio quality,
  5. 1080p screen,
  6. and Beats.

• DNA's bootloader can be unlocked; the Note II's cannot (at least not to my present knowledge)
  • Don't forget about the Exynos security flaw (Note II). Shouldn't affect anyone who's on the legal, or running an already patched ROM, but I note it as a finding.
  • Note 2's max screen brightness is pathetic compared to pretty much every other phone except the Galaxy S3 (of course).

A lot of valid points! One mistake is that DNA is locked to Verizon. That is not correct. You can only purchase at Verizon, but it is fully unlocked and can be used with any carriers sim.

MaxBuck

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
The DNA is not a phone I would have considered. Note 2 was really the target for me ever since it was released. But to those for whom the DNA was the choice, best wishes and hope you love your phones.

youngzayiles

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Its not even close. I mean I can reply on the forums and watch espn at the same time. Game over lol. Then pull out my s pen for notes. Everyone including Apple needs to step their game up.
ehy8ygur.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
So...if I can purchase the DNA for $1 through my workplace, would any of you say it becomes more of a landslide to the DNA?

Landslide? Nah. Even if it were free, it doesn't fix the non-user replaceable battery in the DNA nor can it compete with the Note 2's battery life; 4 days on a single charge (with 2 hours screen on time). And a fully charged spare to swap and repeat and it's no contest. Game over man! Game over! :p I have to go back to my dumb phone days to get that kind of battery life. Priceless! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC