Galaxy Note 2 vs. Droid DNA-- which Verizon device deserves our money this holiday season?

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Landslide? Nah. Even if it were free, it doesn't fix the non-user replaceable battery in the DNA nor can it compete with the Note 2's battery life; 4 days on a single charge (with 2 hours screen on time). And a fully charged spare to swap and repeat and it's no contest. Game over man! Game over! :p I have to go back to my dumb phone days to get that kind of battery life. Priceless! :)

4 days?

Let the record show this person BATTERY EVERY uses their phone to get 4 days off a single charge and only 2 hours screen time in 4 days!

What's the point of having a super powerful phone if you're not using it?

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
4 days?

Let the record show this person BATTERY EVERY uses their phone to get 4 days off a single charge and only 2 hours screen time in 4 days!

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the Galaxy S3 unfortunately on T-Mobile

Ha, this. But seriously, for the note 2 its not uncommon to get between 5-6 hours of screen on time which is phenomenal in my opinion. I haven't seen the DNA's screen on times but I highly doubt its more than 3 hours.

Edit: Thought I would add this but after my girlfriend got the DNA I was pretty blown away by the screen. It does indeed look gorgeous, so much I started panicking and looking to trade my note 2. I have to say after some consideration I am glad I am with the note 2. I know all the differences, blah blah but when it comes down to it the note 2 is just so much more functional. Even my gf said if I traded I would just want the note 2 again haha.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
4 days?

Haha, you're right! I didn't use the phone much over those four days as I was off work and at home most of that time using my Nexus 7 instead. :) When I'm out and about though, it's all Note 2! :p When I do use it heavily, I get about 5-6 hours of screen on time. Either way, I?d call that awesome battery life! Add in the ability to swap out for a fresh battery on the fly and you?ve got a killer setup that no other current phone can compete with! :)

Edit: just to add a comparison; I get about six hours of screen on time on a single charge with my Nexus 7 (Wi-Fi only), whereas the Note 2 is always on LTE. The Nexus 7 battery: 4325mAh (non user-replaceable), the Note 2: 3100mAh (user replaceable). Of course the bigger 7? screen of the Nexus 7 uses more power, but I think it?s still phenomenal the Note 2 with its 5.5? screen, smaller battery, and always being on LTE is right there with it! :)

Last edited:

nismo591

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Haha, you're right! I didn't use the phone much over those four days as I was off work and at home most of that time using my Nexus 7 instead. :) When I'm out and about though, it's all Note 2! :p When I do use it heavily, I get about 5-6 hours of screen on time. Either way, I?d call that awesome battery life! Add in the ability to swap out for a fresh battery on the fly and you?ve got a killer setup that no other current phone can compete with! :)

Edit: just to add a comparison; I get about six hours of screen on time on a single charge with my Nexus 7 (Wi-Fi only), whereas the Note 2 is always on LTE. The Nexus 7 battery: 4325mAh (non user-replaceable), the Note 2: 3100mAh (user replaceable). Of course the bigger 7? screen of the Nexus 7 uses more power, but I think it?s still phenomenal the Note 2 with its 5.5? screen, smaller battery, and always being on LTE is right there with it! :)

Just curious are you on wifi when you get the 5-6 hours of screen time? I am always on LTE and I only get about 4-4.5 hours of screen time. Auto brightness setting is on as well. I always leave my gps and bluetooth on too.

markyoung04

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I had the DNA for about 3 weeks and after traveling with it back home and coming back I kept looking at comparisons between it and the N2 - something besides the big screen, sd slot, and battery was begging me to look again and so I did...last night I picked up the Note2 and boy am I glad. The DNA was just another phone (with great specs and a great screen), I found myself searching for anything to keep the wow factor going after just two weeks. I am already SO glad I made the jump what a great and FUN phone to play with, hold, and tinker around.

For those who want a fast and reliable phone with a solid build quality I think DNA is good if you can handle the batter life issue (don't let anyone fool you once you have used it for at least two weeks in a variety of settings you realize how fast that charge goes).

The Note2 feels...well...exciting - the pen, the interface, the screen size all lend to doing things you normally would not try on a regular larger phone. Now, I just have to buy some more advil to handle the joint pain in holding this monster one handed but it is a pain I will gladly live with :).

My two cents, keep the change.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Just curious are you on wifi when you get the 5-6 hours of screen time? I am always on LTE and I only get about 4-4.5 hours of screen time. Auto brightness setting is on as well. I always leave my gps and bluetooth on too.

No Wi-Fi (it's always turned off as well as GPS and Bluetooth), instead always on LTE (surrounded by it and still have unlimited data, so really no need for Wi-Fi).

See my post below that details some things that may help battery life:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...gatory-battery-life-thread-2.html#post2400072

Mary Hazlett

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I bought my GNII 2weeks ago, the day after Christmas. I upgraded from a droid razor maxx, with an enormous battery life. The battery life on the GNII does not last as long, due to size, processor, 4G, etc. but after taking my battery down to 15% and then recharging (have done this. One time), my battery seems to have a longer life. That said, I use a lot of technology. I have extra chargers, etc. no one mentions keeping a spare charger in one's car/brief bag/backpack/purse.there are several battery chargers available, too, small devices which will also charge other phones/tablets as well, so one gets more bang for one's buck. There is comfort (for me) in knowing I won't be left with a dead phone. I feel more comfortable using the device full-speed ahead.

As an aside, if one wishes, one can also connect the GSII to a Bluetooth keyboard. Bulky, maybe, but there are small ones out there and it eliminates the need to carry the GSII and also a tablet/laptop.

Just throwing options out there! When on the go, these things can be left in the car (some of us don't use public transport!)

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I had the DNA for about 3 weeks and after traveling with it back home and coming back I kept looking at comparisons between it and the N2 - something besides the big screen, sd slot, and battery was begging me to look again and so I did...last night I picked up the Note2 and boy am I glad. The DNA was just another phone (with great specs and a great screen), I found myself searching for anything to keep the wow factor going after just two weeks. I am already SO glad I made the jump what a great and FUN phone to play with, hold, and tinker around.

For those who want a fast and reliable phone with a solid build quality I think DNA is good if you can handle the batter life issue (don't let anyone fool you once you have used it for at least two weeks in a variety of settings you realize how fast that charge goes).

The Note2 feels...well...exciting - the pen, the interface, the screen size all lend to doing things you normally would not try on a regular larger phone. Now, I just have to buy some more advil to handle the joint pain in holding this monster one handed but it is a pain I will gladly live with :).

My two cents, keep the change.

Naproxin sodium works well for the joint pain lmao!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

casiouser

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Did the Usb Otg work with the HTC?
I got the DNA on it's release day and I like it. Sense is stale but most manufacturer UI's are nowadays. I just got the Note II today and I'm impressed. I didn't have a problem with battery life or memory (had an USB OTG cable and 16gb thumbdrive). I think my issue was how the DNA felt and the lack of accessories(I hate that is a factor for me now....smh). The DNA felt awkward at times and even though the Note II is larger, it conforms to my hand better. The S-Pen for added functionality is a plus.

thepsychorabbit

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I like a few other people do my research or try to. I was looking at three phones and bought the Note II. I looked at the DNA, and the Razr Maxx HD but bought the Note II. Both the DNA and Razr did not have removable batteries nor did they have an SD card slot. What sold me was the capabilities of the Note II over the others. I bought mine March 2013 and realy do love it.