Official Otterbox Commuter Case Thread

jmob26

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I did not see a thread for this case, but I thought it deserved one as soon as I put this on my Note II. This case is AWESOME! Just arrived today. I've had Otterbox Commuters for my Droid Incredible and Rezound, and this one beats both of those hands down. Everyone is familiar with the protection that these cases provide, but after days using the OEM Protector+ case and the Body Glove TPU case, this Otterbox makes the phone actually more comfortable to hold by giving it more depth and curved sides. My thought before buying this case was that because the phone was already big, why not get a big case? Plus, with the 5.5 inch screen, this phone begs for protection. But now that it's on the phone, the case doesn't seem big at all. It's the screen that still grabs your attention. I realize one negative point about Otterbox cases has been that the rubber layer is a lint magnet, but apparently this case is using Otterbox's newer rubber material. It definitely feels smoother and different from the other Commuter cases I had owned and has a shiny appearance very similar to that of the polycarbonate(?) shell layer. I cannot comment on this for sure, but I would be surprised if it attracted lint in your pockets. Volume and power buttons are easy to press (I read this was a concern with this case). The back, as with all Commuters, is slightly slippery, not as grippy as the other Note II cases I mentioned above. But thanks to the stylish parallel lines running across the back, it's grippier than the phone's bare back. Here are a few pics.

otter1.jpgotter2.jpgotter3.jpgotter4.jpgotter5.jpgotter6.jpg

drum747

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I've got one on order and I ordered the Avon cancer ribbon case for my wife after she said she liked it. Thanks for posting the pics!

Sent from my rooted SGH-1605

Last edited:

Podgorica

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for sharing the pics looks awesome. I agree with you, phone is already big so it doesnt really matter how thick/big the case is. I have candyshell on my phone and note 2 doesnt look or feel bulkier with it on like my iphone 4 did when i put candyshell on it. as soon as I get bored with jt I will get the commuter, looks really neat and protection is def there.

Sent from My Note 2

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

billoetjen

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Friction Tape.
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQL9Z9NUyZQ2pvhUh_eVcf-SpJmylw4ThXhZuy9YRC-bjv8_O0y

It's the stuff that electricians used MANY years ago. In house wiring, they used to solder the bared wires together, then wrap in rubber insulating tape, which would then be covered in friction tape. It's also an ideal thing to use to add grip to a stickball bat.
More recently, I was having trouble holding on to guitar plectrums; they'd always slip and slide around and I never felt I had a good grip on it. Friction tape totally fixed that.

Recently I got a Galaxy s3 which has tons of usefulness, but it begged to be protected by a sturdy case. My old LG Optimus felt way sturdier and had a subtle non-slip surface. I used it over two years without a problem. It survived many drops to unforgiving surfaces. No way would I expect that from the Galaxy.

Enter the Otterbox Commuter. Nice design, nice execution. Even nice price-point.
However, I believe they coated it in teflon. No need to say more about that.

Enter Friction tape. Two strips across the back, making sure to cut the ends just long enough to tuck all the way around the edge of the case, and end just at the edge of the screen.

It might take a couple of attempts. Helps, too to press the ends of the tape firmly in place.

I'll give this arrangement a few days of normal use and report back.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12