Basic GN2 sdcard question

John Antypas

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
It's been awhile since I've had an android phone with an sdcard, so bear with me....

I use beyondPod, Mog and Amazon Audible. All of these apps can download/cache content to the sdcard space. In the past, the internal phone storage was listed as internal storage and the card as /sdcard. Starting with my Bionic, I noticed that things were suddenly internal, /sdcard and the physical card was /sdcard-ext. Unfortunately, most apps were clueless about this new card space and ignored it :)

The GN2 has 16GB on board, but also has the card slot for my 64GB sdcard. From what I can see, it will not show up as /sdcard, meaning apps may not see it. I was told that starting with ICS, Google had something to fix this issue, or do I again, have a 64GB storage slot that can only be used by the camera.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
It's been awhile since I've had an android phone with an sdcard, so bear with me....

I use beyondPod, Mog and Amazon Audible. All of these apps can download/cache content to the sdcard space. In the past, the internal phone storage was listed as internal storage and the card as /sdcard. Starting with my Bionic, I noticed that things were suddenly internal, /sdcard and the physical card was /sdcard-ext. Unfortunately, most apps were clueless about this new card space and ignored it :)

The GN2 has 16GB on board, but also has the card slot for my 64GB sdcard. From what I can see, it will not show up as /sdcard, meaning apps may not see it. I was told that starting with ICS, Google had something to fix this issue, or do I again, have a 64GB storage slot that can only be used by the camera.

You have full use of your SD Card, but you can't store apps on it. You can add pictures, sounds, movies, etc on your SD Card.

The SD Card does show up and it will have "EXT" in front (ie "extsdcard" or something very close to that) of the extension.

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
And media, but I've yet to find an app that will store data on the sd card.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

we lost the option to move apps to sd card with ics....was hoping personally that it would return with jelly bean. not sure why that function has been stripped and it does irritate.

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Hello,
I don't mean to hijack the OP's thread, but I have a question along these lines. I have a 16GB SD card from a phone I used last year or around there, can I just use the format option in the Storage section of Settings to erase all the garbage I have on that card?

Markster1

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
we lost the option to move apps to sd card with ics....was hoping personally that it would return with jelly bean. not sure why that function has been stripped and it does irritate.

I know this, I should have been more clear. I was talking about an app that would store its data on the sd card like slacker radio or beyondpod.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Hello,
I don't mean to hijack the OP's thread, but I have a question along these lines. I have a 16GB SD card from a phone I used last year or around there, can I just use the format option in the Storage section of Settings to erase all the garbage I have on that card?

Yes, you can.

mrmoe110

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
What I want is for these hd games that require you to download an extra 1gb of data to allow me to save it to the sd card. Does anyone know if this is possible?

Markster1

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Is not possible unless they write it in their code to save data to sd card. None of the data intensive apps I have will currently do that. Slacker radio is an app I wish I could do this for as its a data hog if you cache all 25 stations.

dms76

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
What about gl2sd that's supposed to transfer gamealoft data to external sd? I don't have an sdcard on order yet to test.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol