Encrypt device and external memory card

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
You should have un-encrypted your external memory card first. You obviously know that now. Are you able to un-encrypt now, or not? I haven't had your same experience yet, so I can't comment. Both my phone and card are encrypted, and I have the hassle of entering a long 8 character password to unlock the phone. If I were to ever not use this phone again in the future, I hope I can remember to first un-encrypt the memory card. Easier said than done, I suppose. Actually, in my case, when I insert my encrypted memory card into a laptop, the laptop is able to view the file names, but I cannot actually open the files. Do you have the same experience, or do you not even see the file names?

Use Nume..
>>>>
www.nume.ch

MaPar

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
Nume may work if the encryption keys are still in my phone, but how can I tell if the encryptions keys are there? In my case the phone retained all the original files in the main memory, but erased the apps I had installed. The SD was untoched, but I can't access the data as it is encrypted.

Could someone tell me where are the keys stored? Or is there a way to tell if the keys still exist?

Thank you!

MaPar

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi Brian,

How does it decrypt passwords? I read through the app's description and doesn't say that is one of its feature, how would you do it? I am willing to install it if you could show how to decrypt an encrypted SD card.

Thank you!

ldblue

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
Curious if anyone has encrypted the phone but not the sd. I'm planning on using a couple of sd's for flac music files. Will it be possible to use sd's for media and then an encrypted sd for other files?

Bobman

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Curious if anyone has encrypted the phone but not the sd. I'm planning on using a couple of sd's for flac music files. Will it be possible to use sd's for media and then an encrypted sd for other files?

I can see using all unencrypted SD cards with an encrypted internal storage working fine. But you want one of your SD cards to be encrypted and other SD cards not? I've never done that, but I'd use caution.

Pham2012

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Got decryption issues. After I full encrypt my phone and sd card, 2 months later, suddenly it unmount my card and I had to remount it couple of times. Now it would not recognized my card. My pc can see the files but fail to open the encrypted photos. The phone would not allow me to decrypt the device or my sd card. Useless Sprint tech said must reset to factory and format card, all is lost. Anyone know how I can decrypt my sd card to I can get my photos? I have not reset my phone.

Eng_MAMS

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Hello guys...
Please can u help me, I am a new user having galaxy SII with Galley Bean Rom.
I encrypted me device then I decrypt it, but the Problem is that I can't access any of my files even the Gallery .... Please Help me.

Bobman

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Hello guys...
Please can u help me, I am a new user having galaxy SII with Galley Bean Rom.
I encrypted me device then I decrypt it, but the Problem is that I can't access any of my files even the Gallery .... Please Help me.

Sorry I can't help here. I haven't put a custom ROM on this phone yet. Unfortunately, with encryption there probably isn't much chance of recovery when things go wrong. At least I would almost hope you can't recover encrypted files since that is kind of the point. Sorry for your trouble though. Always back up. I send all my pictures and videos to Dropbox and Google+.

Ryan O1

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
I have a question i have note amd it is encrypted my question is that possible fpr them to use it and do the hard reset to take out the encrypted passwprd

- - - Updated - - -

I have a question i have note amd it is encrypted my question is that possible fpr them to use it and do the hard reset to take out the encrypted passwprd

taranis17

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
No. They need your password. Without that, there is no way to decrypt anything you have encrypted.

Advanced encryption works using a set of keys (not to be confused with your password). Your password is "hashed" into a set of encryption keys, which is used by the algorithm to encrypt the device. The hash is a one time thing - two people using the same password - say "password123" - will end up with a different "hash" used to encrypt their files. The end result is: If you wipe out those keys, you lose any chance of getting your data back, even if you use the same password. The keys will be different.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Interesting it does enforce it. I stand corrected. I didn't think it enforced it as well. However, my time out is a Max of 14 minutes. The one thing I did not have to do however was use a complex password. I have a PIN setup for my encryption no letters, special characters anything. Just digits. The same with my lock screen password. Just a PIN setup.

Using an S4...but looks like the same issues.

This doesn't seem to be of great use.

First, the lockscreen and encryption pws must evidently be the same. That's annoying since screenlock needs unlocking constantly and the encryption only when the phone is booting after a power down. The encryption pw should be differentiated. Can it be, or am I right?

Second, the encryption only works if the phone is powered off. That's almost never. So, someone swipes my phone. All they have to get through is the screenlock. How does encryption much help? Why bother?

What am I missing? It sounded like a great security feature. It seems very insecure.

wdfarmer

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
I have a Note 2 Verizon Android 4.3 with a 16 GB internal SD card (90% full) and a 64 GB external SD card (30% full). After encrypting the phone to comply with an employer's policy, I find that after every restart or power-up, the system "encrypts" the external SD card again, taking 16 minutes to do so. During this time the Vold process is using 25% of CPU time, so I figure it's continuously using one of the quad cores nonstop to run that. The external SD card has an unmounted status until it completes, so all files on it can't be accessed until it's done. Has anyone else experienced this? I have gone through the recommended procedure of reformatting the card as exFAT using my laptop.

Last edited:

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Yes, my phone does exactly the same thing. I never timed it, so I can't vouch for 16 minutes long, but it does take a number of minutes for the phone to do its thing. This only happens whenever I manually do a restart. The whole restart process takes a number of minutes, plus the phone takes additional more minutes for encrypting the external memory card. I've learned to just tolerate it until it's all done. I've thought about unencrypting my device (and memory card) just so I don't have to type in a long password (versus a 4 character pin), but I've gotten used to the hassle for some time now. By the way, the reason I periodically do a manual restart is whenever I feel my Note 2 is getting sluggish in response time. After doing a restart, things seem to improve. I manually restart my phone at least once a week or more.

I have a Note 2 Verizon Android 4.3 with a 16 GB internal SD card (90% full) and a 64 GB external SD card (30% full). After encrypting the phone to comply with an employer's policy, I find that after every restart or power-up, the system "encrypts" the external SD card again, taking 16 minutes to do so. During this time the Vold process is using 25% of CPU time, so I figure it's continuously using one of the quad cores nonstop to run that. The external SD card has an unmounted status until it completes, so all files on it can't be accessed until it's done. Has anyone else experienced this? I have gone through the recommended procedure of reformatting the card as exFAT using my laptop.

wdfarmer

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
Glad to hear I'm not the only one with the problem. Wish there was a answer for it. If I let my battery run down to zero, I have to go through that 16 minutes again. Also, I have an app from JVC that tries to organize my music by its mood, and that app now rescans the music on my Ext SD card after every restart, as if I'd replaced the SD card. :(

Posted via Android Central App

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
You generally don't want to restart your phone if you're already at low battery life, cuz as you already found out, restarting requires a bit of juice. I'm always at 100% battery life, or have the phone plugged in prior to doing a restart.

veera bapineedu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Dear Friends,
I am using Samsung Galaxy Grand 2 since 6 months. Today morning i want to see what is encrypt Device though i have only vague idea about it, so i entered the password and began the process. When it was 6% completed i was not 100% sure what exactly it is about so removed my battery so that the process would be stopped. When i turned my mobile on, all my data was disappeared and lost everything. Please help as the photos and contacts in my mobile are very important to me.

Fadi R1

May 20, 2014
Visit site
Hey Everyone, I'm trying to decide on a password. I have a really good memory and can remember super long ones. looking at the encryption process on my note seems to imply that I can only use the password unlock screen option only when the phone is encrypted as it does not permit me to begjn the encryption process when I have any other unlock settings. I don't actually mind putting a super long password when I first turn on the phone but if I have to put it into the unlock screen every time I lock my phone that will be too anoying. In my old galaxy S, my password and unlock screens were completely independent. Is it the case here? Have anyone been able to encrypt the phone and, once the phone is encrypted, switch the unlock screen to say pattern or pin or an easier password once the phone is encrypted or are we forced to unlock the screen with password we are encrypting our phones with?