Need to block international roaming - I live near Canadian border

anon(5479830)

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I want to buy my husband the Samsung Galaxy Note II, but it seems all newer smartphones have removed the ability to "System Select" "Home Only." I have communicated with level II support with both Verizon and Samsung, and neither can help. We live near the border of Canada, and unless phone manufacturers, software developers, and/or providers make changes, we will never be able to upgrade to newer devices...as it seems the trend is to remove this feature. I just spent some time with Verizon looking at the top new devices, and none of them have this ability, so we are stuck...

I asked Samsung Level II Tech Support if there is a way they could go deeper into the phone and circumvent this, and they said no.

Does anyone know how to get around this? Simply selecting not to enable data roaming is not a solution, since the phone continually asks "Do you want to enable data roaming on this trip?" As you might imagine, that gets annoying every few minutes. Earlier this year I had to switch phones after a software upgrade to ICS removed my ability to select Home Only. After countless hours and days with many Verizon support representatives troubleshooting...they finally found a phone that still had that option, but I had to give up my new D-4.

So, back to what I already said...all the latest and greatest new phones have removed this ability, so we will forever be stuck in old phones unless someone fixes this.

I don't get it....we are not the only ones in the United States living in close proximity to the Canadian border!

Can anyone help?

K_Daddy

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Whenever I'm at Niagara Falls I set my phone to deny roaming data. Works for me. Settings.. More.. Data network.. Deny roaming data.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

mcgeorge36

Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
I live near the Mexican border in El Paso, Texas. I go through the same thing here sometimes, but it's not as bad with the newer phones than older ones. I had a Thunderbolt previously that would ALWAYS pick up a signal from Mexico. Now that I think about it, I've had the GN2 since launch day and I don't think I've picked up av signal from Mexico yet.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Android Central Forums.

anon(5479830)

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Is this on the Samsung Galaxy Note II? (sorry...I don't know what 'SCH-1605' is.) It sounds like that would work for the data, but what about phone calls? When our phones are not set to "Home Only" they pick up the Canadian cell tower.

Whenever I'm at Niagara Falls I set my phone to deny roaming data. Works for me. Settings.. More.. Data network.. Deny roaming data.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

anon(5479830)

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm, maybe this phone will be worth a try, although I was told the Canadian towers don't have the same regulations as the US, and therefore encroach into our space. I'm curious how Mexico handles their cell towers. Thx.

I live near the Mexican border in El Paso, Texas. I go through the same thing here sometimes, but it's not as bad with the newer phones than older ones. I had a Thunderbolt previously that would ALWAYS pick up a signal from Mexico. Now that I think about it, I've had the GN2 since launch day and I don't think I've picked up av signal from Mexico yet.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Android Central Forums.