I didn't lose my unlimited plan? :D

Eggshen

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I've been watching My Verizon app waiting for the unlimited to switch and it never has. My month cycle ended a few days ago, I thought it might switch then but still hasn't.

When I bought this phone it was through another line on my account. During the purchase I had to choose a data plan which was the 2gb one. Did I not lose it because I didn't use that line with the Note 2?

byrds8

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Did you upgrade the line you use with unlimited data or did you upgrade on a different line and put the device on your line with unlimited data on it?

WannaBeYou

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
When I bought this phone it was through another line on my account. During the purchase I had to choose a data plan which was the 2gb one. Did I not lose it because I didn't use that line with the Note 2?
If you use another line's upgrade to purchase a subsidized phone and then use that subsidized phone on your unlimited data line, you won't lose unlimited. Just make sure you activate the phone first on the other line before you switch the subsidized phone to the unlimited data line.

The controversial move is to transfer your unlimited data line's upgrade to a non-unlimited line, buy a subsidized phone on the non-unlimited line, activate the subsidized phone on the non-unlimited line and then switch the subsidized phone to your unlimited line. People have done this and not lost unlimited data despite that others say you will.

StevenS2k5

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
So if I transfer my unlimited line upgrade to a feature phone and get a subsidized smart phone with it and a $29.99 data package I can switch the phone to my unlimited line the next day, cancel the data package and downgrade back to a feature phone to keep unlimited? Seems pretty easy. If this is true, I'll go try tomorrow.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

garyhesq1

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
I only have a single line plan and when I upgraded I was told I was going to lose my unlimited. I already knew that so it wasn't an issue. They had trouble activating the Note and had to make a call to get it working. After I got home I checked my account. It showed the Note 2 as my current phone, still showed I was eligible for an upgrade and that I still had unlimited. I thought for sure after I went through a bill cycle it would all change. My cycle ended last week and I still show the above. I really hope it stays that way!

WannaBeYou

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
So if I transfer my unlimited line upgrade to a feature phone and get a subsidized smart phone with it and a $29.99 data package I can switch the phone to my unlimited line the next day, cancel the data package and downgrade back to a feature phone to keep unlimited? Seems pretty easy. If this is true, I'll go try tomorrow.
Search for my other thread on this to read the experiences of those who have done it. Others have done the following and kept their unlimited:

1) Transfer the upgrade from your unlimited line to a line on your family account that does not have unlimited data (either capped data or no data at all);

2) Buy a subsidized smartphone using the transferred upgrade;

3) Activate the newly purchased subsidized smartphone on the non-unlimited data line - you will have to pick a data plan at this point if the non-unlimited data line did not have a data plan on it - pick 2GB for $30;

4) Reactivate the phone that was originally on the non-unlimited data line on the non-unlimited data line - the data plan will automatically be removed if the original phone was a dumbphone; and

5) Reactivate the newly purchased subsidized smartphone on your unlimited data line.

The hitch in all of this is that your unlimited data line contract will be renewed for 2 years, which you may or may not want.

WannaBeYou

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I only have a single line plan and when I upgraded I was told I was going to lose my unlimited. I already knew that so it wasn't an issue. They had trouble activating the Note and had to make a call to get it working. After I got home I checked my account. It showed the Note 2 as my current phone, still showed I was eligible for an upgrade and that I still had unlimited. I thought for sure after I went through a bill cycle it would all change. My cycle ended last week and I still show the above. I really hope it stays that way!
Wow, you are one lucky dude!

StevenS2k5

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Just picked up the note 2 using this method. Should I leave it activated on the other line for a day or can I switch it right to my unlimited line after having it activated for about 5 hours now?

Thanks for your help and I'll update this thread if I'm able to keep my unlimited data!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

crl95

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
The hitch in all of this is that your unlimited data line contract will be renewed for 2 years, which you may or may not want.

Just to be clear if i do this i will loose the upgrade thats on the extra line on my account plus the upgrade on my line will be extended 2 years from the day I do it?

StevenS2k5

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
You trade upgrades between phones so you won't lose it. For example: I just put my upgrade on another line and now my line has an upgrade eligible in August because that's when the other phones upgrade was.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
It would seem to me that the non-data line that was upgraded would renew for 2 years....not the unlimited line you move the new phone too. There was no upgrade done on that line.....

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

crl95

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
It would seem to me that the non-data line that was upgraded would renew for 2 years....not the unlimited line you move the new phone too. There was no upgrade done on that line.....

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums
thats what i thought i was just confused bc it sounded liek this uses 2 upgrades

WannaBeYou

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Since the upgrade was initially from the unlimited data line, it is the unlimited data line's contract that gets renewed. It may not seem right to you, but that is how VZW does it. Also, you do not lose the upgrade on the non-unlimited data line.

WannaBeYou

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Just picked up the note 2 using this method. Should I leave it activated on the other line for a day or can I switch it right to my unlimited line after having it activated for about 5 hours now?

Thanks for your help and I'll update this thread if I'm able to keep my unlimited data!
From what I have read, you can switch it right away but when I go to do it, I am going to leave it on the other line for 24 hours before I switch.

WannaBeYou

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Just to be clear if i do this i will loose the upgrade thats on the extra line on my account
No you won't. Seems crazy doesn't it, but this is something VZW has always allowed. They call it an alternate upgrade.

plus the upgrade on my line will be extended 2 years from the day I do it?
The next upgrade on the unlimited data line will be 20 months from the date of the alternate upgrade. Additionally, the unlimited data line will have its 2 year contract renewed.

The non-unlimited data line's upgrade date will remain unchanged as will it's contract expiration date.

crl95

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
No, only uses the upgrade originating from the unlimited data line.
so if i have a upgrade on an extra line and upgrade that but my line with unlimited data does not have an upgrade until way off from now the upgrade on the extra line will be used for the note 2 and my unlimited data numbers upgrade will be pushed back another 2 years?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol