Slight Issue With Texting (Previous iPhone Owners Please Help!)

flipster

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
So I'll try to make this as short and quick as possible.

I had an iPhone 4 before, with iMessage, yadadada.

Every time another iPhone would text me, it would go off of it, obviously.

Well, now that I have a Galaxy Note 2 (which I LOVE!), when someone else texts me off an iPhone, its defaulting to iMessage instead, because of my old iphone. The old phone iPhone isn't activated anymore, and I turned iMessage on it off, and shut the phone off. But when I tried texting off different people's iPhones to my new Galaxy Note 2, it was still trying to send them via iMessage....What gives? Can anyone help out with this? Thanks!

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
So I'll try to make this as short and quick as possible.

I had an iPhone 4 before, with iMessage, yadadada.

Every time another iPhone would text me, it would go off of it, obviously.

Well, now that I have a Galaxy Note 2 (which I LOVE!), when someone else texts me off an iPhone, its defaulting to iMessage instead, because of my old iphone. The old phone iPhone isn't activated anymore, and I turned iMessage on it off, and shut the phone off. But when I tried texting off different people's iPhones to my new Galaxy Note 2, it was still trying to send them via iMessage....What gives? Can anyone help out with this? Thanks!

i have never had an iphone but i found this:

Go to: https://supportprofile.apple.com/MySupportProfile.do
Click on "edit products"
Click on the "x" to the right of the product.
Click "unregister"

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
The issue I ran into was with how I had set up the caller ID on my iPhone, iPad, Mac, etc. I had used my mobile number, as well as my email address for the purpose of iMessage. With your phone number assigned to your caller ID, other iPhone users still think you have iMessage. If you have other Apple devices eliminate your mobile number from the caller ID and this should solve it.

flipster

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
i have never had an iphone but i found this:

Go to: https://supportprofile.apple.com/MySupportProfile.do
Click on "edit products"
Click on the "x" to the right of the product.
Click "unregister"

I tried this, and it did not work :(.

- - - Updated - - -

The issue I ran into was with how I had set up the caller ID on my iPhone, iPad, Mac, etc. I had used my mobile number, as well as my email address for the purpose of iMessage. With your phone number assigned to your caller ID, other iPhone users still think you have iMessage. If you have other Apple devices eliminate your mobile number from the caller ID and this should solve it.

How would I go about doing this? Thanks.

flipster

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Okay. So i took FaceTime off every possible device, I unregistered myself from Apple, I took iMessage off the old iPhone, and still no luck. I don't know what to do. Half the freakin' world has iPhones, and I'm not able to receive their texts. ARGGHHHHH

snydahh

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
iMessage has to be turned off on the iPhone before it is deactivated with your wireless service provider. I don't know if there is much you can do besides reactivating the iPhone on your account, turn iMessage off while the iPhone is active, then reactivate the Note 2 and you should have no issue. The reasoning is is that iMessage must register with Apple's server that you no longer wish to have it associated with the phone number being used. I believe that is why the phone must be active when it is turned to off.

I had this issue when I switched the the S3. I turned iMessage off on my iPhone 5 before activating my Note 2 and did not have the issue this time around.

flipster

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
iMessage has to be turned off on the iPhone before it is deactivated with your wireless service provider. I don't know if there is much you can do besides reactivating the iPhone on your account, turn iMessage off while the iPhone is active, then reactivate the Note 2 and you should have no issue. The reasoning is is that iMessage must register with Apple's server that you no longer wish to have it associated with the phone number being used. I believe that is why the phone must be active when it is turned to off.

I had this issue when I switched the the S3. I turned iMessage off on my iPhone 5 before activating my Note 2 and did not have the issue this time around.

Surely this can't be the only option. So if you're saying that if someone stole my phone, I'd be SOL? This can't be right. I unregistered the device from Apple . com, and turned off every possible thing on that phone and deleted all the accounts off it. There HAS to be a fix, apple shouldn't be allowed to do this?

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I just moved over from a 4S and all i had to do was remove my mobile number from caller ID. It's in the settings for imessage and facetime.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
im pretty sure u have to reactivate ur iphone then disable imessages

That may be true unless you have another Apple device with iMessage. I know when I made the change I got a notification on my Mac and my iPad. I would try to disassociate it from the old iPhone even if it's not activated. You might be able to do it using wi-fi.

Settings -> Messages -> Send & Receive -> make your changes

flipster

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
So i figured I'd just throw out a reply for anyone who was wondering how to fix this as well.

I have a friend who went through the same thing as me. Basically, you need to delete all the accounts off the phone, shut face time off, shut off iMessage, etc.

It takes a few days to propagate. My issue seemed to go away after awhile.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I have had this issue in the past, I found that the only true fix for this is time. I had an iPhone 4s for a short period of time before switching back to Android and my mom still has an iPhone. Anyone who texts you has to hold down on the imessage and it will give you an option to send as a regular text. Once they do that 2-3 times in the same thread it will stay as a text message. If they ever delete that thread, they will have to do that process again.

Very annoying and because of that, whenever my friends switch from an iPhone to Android I always say turn off iMessage before you deactivate your iPhone.

Lara Benefield

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I read thru this thread and am really sorta lost on how to proceed. I traded in my iphone 4 the days ago for a Samsung note 2. Everything worked fine until today when I am at the hospital with my 6 yr old daughter having brain surgery. I tried to send a group msg to my older threedaughters about the status of their sister in surgery and my phone totally stopped receiving our sending texts. Now she is in the pediatricic icu for 3-5 days and I have no way to up date anyone. I can't just call people from the Icu.i read the fix on this thread from hospital desperate to fix so I can keep in touch worth my teenagers and now I'm freaking out. Best buy had and wiped my phone as part of the trade. I don't have it any more. What can I do now? Please help!

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I read thru this thread and am really sorta lost on how to proceed. I traded in my iphone 4 the days ago for a Samsung note 2. Everything worked fine until today when I am at the hospital with my 6 yr old daughter having brain surgery. I tried to send a group msg to my older threedaughters about the status of their sister in surgery and my phone totally stopped receiving our sending texts. Now she is in the pediatricic icu for 3-5 days and I have no way to up date anyone. I can't just call people from the Icu.i read the fix on this thread from hospital desperate to fix so I can keep in touch worth my teenagers and now I'm freaking out. Best buy had and wiped my phone as part of the trade. I don't have it any more. What can I do now? Please help!
Lara I am really sorry to hear about this and my hope and prayers to you and your family. As this has been tough for people to solve and you need to find a solution quickly a suggestion i think may work for you is setting up a google voice account and using that to text to everyone. I have never tried to use it but i know alot of people like it . It gives you kind of a proxy phone number that you can use to call and text from. this may perhaps be a quick solution until you can find another solution. https://www.google.com/voice

Lara Benefield

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Thank you very much, for takin the time to reply no offer an alternative solution to get me thru the problem even if It can't be solved right now. I truly appreciate that. I am completely new to android and never imagined there would be so many issues or I need would attempted to switch three days before her surgery. I was thinking a new really awesome phone would give me something to focus on durin the 7 hrs she was in surgery. Well I was right, but it definitely wasn't the reason I was expecting. I actually totally missed a call from the or nurse tellin me they were closing up and that she'd be done soon.

I did think of a tad bi more info that may or may not be relevant to he situation. My family had 7 idevices before I switched. 5 iPhones between my hubby and older teenage daughters and 2 iPads between myself and my 6 yr old. I thought my biggest issue giving up my iPhone would be the inconvenience of having to iMessage my 6 yr old from my iPad instead of being able to do it rom both iPad and iPhone. Well I have the iPad with me and was wondering if there was any way the issue could be addressed by accessing my account thru it.

Also, ever since I unknowingly tried to send that group message to my teenagers iPhones, the battery on my Note 2 is sucking the life out of I. I started to try to reply to this post from that phone but didn't get half way thru and was already down to 97% from 100%. Maybe it's just me but I think that's a little extreme. I finally turned it off and switched to my iPad. I also noticed how slow it was to charge while plugged in last night. Taking a couple hours to go 10% charge. I don't know of these things are relative or not but I figured I'd post them. In the meantime I will try the google voice option and let you know if it worked. I don't know if I will make a difference but I was planning on calling both AT&T and apple as well. I don't know if there is anything to be done by them remotely but I thought I'd try. I really hope this is a fixable problem because I really hoped I'd be able to decide whether to keep the phone based on my personal preferences rather than an actual problem rendering the phone unusable for me. Again, thank you so much for taking the time to help. You've lessened my stress a little in just understanding the problem and with the alternate solution, given me a chance to focus on Ruby instead.

Have a great day and thanks again.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Lara, you are welcoming and I'm so sorry about the stress in sure you don't need the extra aggravation of phone problems.
Alot of people have trouble switching over from iphone because of this message problem. Hopefully google voice will solve this. Ill attempt to addresd your other issues aswell.

Battery, while on the charger the phone hits 100% then stops charging, after that starts trickle down so it already loses power one It hits a certain level then starts to charge again. Also the phone has a 3100mah battery. Charging it takes longer than most batteries because is kind of massive compared to other phones.

But, I think the problem you are running into with charging and quick discharging is the hospital in general. My wife was in the hospital yesterday and complained about the same problem battery drainage.

One of the biggest battery drains on your phone is the Radios cell radio and data. The note has multiple data levels, like 3g and 4g. 4G is a Battery hog. While in the hospital in sure it's struggling between 3g and 4g constantly scanning can trying to switch Between the two. Also it is trying to scan for cell service. Hospitals have already of electronics on top of being big thick buildings. The weaker your cell Signal the harder your phone has to work. So while you are using Internet or talking your phone is using Alot of power just because of the building.

This will apply when charging aswell. If You shut off your mobile data while charging this may help the charging process a bit, one less thing your phone has to scan for. Also if you put your phone in airplane mode this also will speed up the charge process because even though it's charging the phone is scanning hard for signal in the hospital. Kind of like filling a bucket with a hole in it.

So back to my wife's example her battery drained quick in the hospital. But last night here at the house she had been off the charger 6.5hrs and only down to 94%(if you want ill take a screen shot). So I would say alot had to do with the building and scanning for cell and data signal. Your ipad doesn't have a cell radio so it is one less thing it has to worry about.

Also let's not forget your phone is a quad core process. A processor equivalent to a high end laptop that would run on a battery roughy the size of my babies arm. So tack that on to battery usage.

I'm not trying to make excuses for the battery but rather give some insight on what may be causing those problems and maybe help you out.

If I can help out in any other way please feel free to private message me and I will do what I can to help. I Definately don't have all the answers but you can ask anyone around the forums and I'm sure they will tell you that ill try my best to help.

Well wishes to you and Ruby

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

flipster

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Lara, I was an iOS device user forever. Much like your family, mine are all iPhone prone too. I'm the only one with an Android device.

With that said, and the whole iMessage problem, it isn't the phone or androids fault. It's apples. When the phone becomes deactivated, it should be known to at least discontinue the usage of iMessage from that particular phone number. It's crappy designing on their part, and frankly its extremely annoying.

It takes about 1-2 days to fully propagate. It sucks, and MANY people have this issue, and are upset with apple over it.

As for the battery thing, it's literally DOUBLE the iPhones battery, with the biggest screen they've ever put into a phone, with basically the only phone with a quad core processor as well. This phone if FAST. As for it taking a couple hours to charge 10%, that seems a little odd. You might want to get that checked out. Like the guy above me said, if you're in the hospital, then your battery will drain a lot quicker. It's constantly searching for 3G and 4G (which the iPhone 4S did not have) through massive concrete and steel walls.