adding words to dictionary? how?

sillyrabbitt123

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
is there a way to add custom words, names or emails to come up in predictive? so when i send emails or texts or type anything it will come up as a choice? i put it in personal dictionary but they arent coming up when i type?

thanks!

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Ive yet to figure that out as well using the Samsung stock keyboard.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

sillyrabbitt123

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
nobody else cares to add personal words or emails to dictionary or predictive text options. surprised. or maybe only certain phones are having the problem of not using the added words?

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I use Smart Keyboard because the custom dictionary doesn't seem to work with the Samsung keyboard.

sillyrabbitt123

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
How do you exactly enter the words? Settings.....
Language keyboards....
Personal dictionary.....
Phrase...... add the word in then exit?
Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
How do you exactly enter the words? Settings.....
Language keyboards....
Personal dictionary.....
Phrase...... add the word in then exit?
Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

I've done the following steps, but the words and phrase I add never show up when typing.

B52X

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Same problem with GN2. Called Samsung and did soft reset, then a "Factory Reset" - lost everything. Still doesn't work. Through Samsung I was eventually pushed up to "Level 2 Support", who tried a few of the same silly steps I tried several times before. They eventually wanted to arrange for me to send my phone in for evaluation. I passed on that option. Still love the phone despite these problems. I did download the Gingerbread 2.3 keyboard and did get some of the autocorrect functions back, but it's still spotty.

Question: Is this a phone problem or a JellyBean problem?

Darren Donovan

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Not sure about the Samsung keyboard, here's how I added words, using the Swype keyboard. Type out the word, space, backspace, and it appears on the list above the keyboard. Subsequently, those words will appear on that list.

pappasj

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
With my GN2 (Verizon) I was able to do this by going into text messaging:

type in the word
select word by touching it
a check mark should appear in the top left of the screen
press it

That should do it.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site

type in the word
press it

That should do it.

I followed the steps you provided, but they still were not added to the Personal Dictionary under Language and Settings

Flexia

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Type the word in then hit space and then delete. And the word should be added. This works for me but the words do not show up in the dictionary for some reason.

John Charroux

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
FOUND IT!!! Go to the the Language and input settings, then Samsung keyboard settings (gear icon), then long press "Predictive text" to bring up a hidden menu. Now enable Personalized data! You can set it to learn from Facebook/Twitter/Gmail if you use them a lot. It seems to learn sometimes but not always, and the learned words are not added to the editable user dictionary. Long pressing a predictive word (in the suggested words bar) will ask if you want to remove it from the learned dictionary if it's in there, but some words just refuse to get learned. It also depends on sentence prediction situations, so it can be frustrating at times. Why this menu is totally hidden and it is so different from the old keyboards is a mystery.

ventcs

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site

type in the word
press it

That should do it.

This worked perfectly. Thanks!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics