SD card error "SD card is blank or has unsupported file system.

dt81

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
I restarted my phone and when it came back on I keep getting this error. I removed the card then put it back in and it still does this. If I click the error it pops up and asks me if I want to format. any suggestions?

I just put the sd card in my S3 and it's doing the same thing. Is it possible the card decided to just die?

Last edited by a moderator:

chupadre

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
I got the same problem here on galaxy note 2 since two weeks now, card it's not really blank at least not mine everything on the card suddenly appears again, I don't know what it is but I say do not format,double check on a pc...

Never mind everything on the card it's gone now 2 weeks to finally die...damn I lost a lot of pics and vids...yesterday I have moved all to the pc but I cutted back not back up... idk maybe still there we'll see...

Last edited by a moderator:

dt81

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm hoping it will reappear for a few minutes so I can send everything to Dropbox. guess I have an excuse to get a 32gig now.

chupadre

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Still there everything on the card is back again, even the computer was asking to format the card to be able to use it, son when reappears the data on the phone I check the card on the pc and the data was there again so I backed up this time...mine's 32g, I'm thinking about formatting now

1google

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
I restarted my phone and when it came back on I keep getting this error. I removed the card then put it back in and it still does this. If I click the error it pops up and asks me if I want to format. any suggestions?

Try to reboot the phone. Don't format using the phone or your card may get corrupted. I have had this problem many times, and if i reboot the phone, it starts working again. In Other words, just turn it off and on. Restart it.

Last edited:

keem5

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
i and many people are all have the same issue, changing the card or formatting is not helping at all, i will call samsung to get help.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I had the same issue when I flashed an aosp ROM with my card exfat formatted.

I put it in my PC and ran chkdsk to fix errors, the card was fine after that.

1google

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Try to reboot the phone. Don't format using the phone or your card may get corrupted. I have had this problem many times, and if i reboot the phone, it starts working again. In Other words, just turn it off and on. Restart it.

This problem is very irritating, nothing stops it from happening repeatedly.

lsmithssbn1

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
My card also quit....I purchased a new one and have not had any problems. .Sandisk is replacing it for me

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

Lucas Lombardi

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
So, I have had this problem with two phones now, and it seems to be a constant issue... I cannot find a permanent solution to the problem, but downloading Ubuntu or running it on a Linux computer will automatically restore all of your files so you can back them up. Then you should format your SD card on your COMPUTER and try it again... I don't know how long it will last after that, but you can at least get your files back with the Linux...

Bryony Connor

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
I have just got that error too - except mine was with a new 32GB sd card that I got for Christmas. I got the phone then too. All my stuff is wiped, and I don't know what to do. :(

ToddL

May 7, 2011
Visit site
This has happened to me too. I rebooted 4 or 5 times, and eventually it recognized the card so that I could get my files off of it. I pulled the card our for now, I'm not sure if the card is dead, or if it's a problem with the phone. Waiting to see about a permanent fix before buying a new card.

ETA: My computer isn't recognizing the card either.

datahook

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
I wanted to add this: I am a virgin mobile customer w/ a motorola triumph. This phone os is fixed can never be updated (not the issue). It is droid 2.2.2. Anyways, same issue - RANDOM failure of SD card. Phone can just be sitting by itself for 24 hours and boom, either locks or reboots itself with subsequent sd error. And after months of use, boom, it can reverse itself. But, then, boom, reverse, haha. It is obviously a very expensive fix for google and their partners OR could it be as perverse as an agreed upon technique to get folks to purchase new? Either way, it truly is horrible the way they've danced around it. Next phone is iOS or windows for me.

Tamarapalli Girish

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys ,i have rectified the problem "Support Blank SD card or has unsupported file system".
i am telling the steps to rectify the problem..
1) Insert memory card to laptop or desktop.
2) Click on format.
3) Change settings to restore device defaults.
4) Problem will be solved.

Reply me if it works..

Thanking you ,
T Girish

Nurse1218

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I am going to try this. I turned my phone off and it never came back on, I put my card in a tablet and it read blank, I put my card in the loaner phone and the phone keeps saying please insert a card. I am so frustrated.

K_Daddy

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I had the same issue. Had to put the card in my laptop and format.
It happened while I was listening to a podcast using DogCatcher. DogCatcher has just recently been updated, maybe related. Anybody else use it?

Posted via My Note 2

jerry d1

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Had the same thing happen to me just a few days ago. Have not tried to read card in PC or reformat. Seems to be an Android problem because it's happening to SD cards of all types and sizes. I put my 2GB card in after getting the phone new and never took it out. Now I get the same error. Ridiculous and Android and various carriers just dance around the problem with no solution. Why should I risk putting in another SD card just to have Android screw it up again. Frustrating. Phone worked just fine for over 5 months now chewing through SD cards????? Maybe it is time for a Windows phone and see what issues they have...certainly can't be any worse than an Android phone corrupting SD cards.

Shimmy00

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I got the same problem here on galaxy note 2 since two weeks now, card it's not really blank at least not mine everything on the card suddenly appears again, I don't know what it is but I say do not format,double check on a pc...
This was my issue today.