Extra Perks for Buying Note 2 Full Price?

scott750

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
This may be a stupid question but I thought I'd ask anyway. :)

I recently got the Note 2 for full retail price so I could keep my unlimited data plan, but I'm wondering if there is some kind of "unlocking" code Verizon can give me to get rid of the damn bloatware?

If I buy a car I can do whatever I want to it. The same should be for a smartphone. If I paid the reduced subsidized price, then I can see them justifying all the advertisement and apps.

Is my only perk for paying $750 to keep unlimited data?

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 2

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site

I recently got the Note 2 for full retail price so I could keep my unlimited data plan, but I'm wondering if there is some kind of "unlocking" code Verizon can give me to get rid of the damn bloatware?

If I buy a car I can do whatever I want to it. The same should be for a smartphone. If I paid the reduced subsidized price, then I can see them justifying all the advertisement and apps.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Pretty much. Technically they lose money when you buy it out right. So there is not much motivation for them to give you a perk

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I call BS when carriers say they lose money when they sell it out right, or at a subsidized price. You can buy tablets all day long for $300, the nexus 7 is $249, a very good tablet, only thing it is missing is feature for phone. I doubt very much that it costs $400+ to add a phone to the nexus 7. Not to mention the nexus 7 is bigger then all smart phones. The carriers are doing the same thing back in MA Bell and At&t days before the government de-regulated them. What we are paying for is commission to the sales person, third party agents, and so on..

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
My extra perk is a 60 day return policy at Best Buy (RZ Silver) with no worries and no contract extension. My contract is up in May and if Sprint adds LTE in and around my area I may make the switch to them. It's about $35 per month less and unlimited data.

The resale value on flagship phones is also very good. I sold my GS3 after almost 6 months of use for $475. So the true cost to me was about $175, which may seem like a lot, but I'm a tech junkie. :)

I have always been dumbfounded that a "radio" can cost so much. The iPod touch, for example, has all the same features as an iPhone. My iPad 3 has LTE and cost an extra $130 and no contract. I guess we are paying for the privilege of being tied to a carrier when buying a phone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fwhomeboy

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
A very noted perk my friends as a fellow full price purchaser is a lighter wallet. :)

If you were coming from a Thunderbolt and paid full retail price for the Note 2 to keep unlimited data, Verizon will give you the next upgrade free to keep you with Verizon with no changes to your data plan for the next two years. That deal comes in March. Now that's a nice perk. Wait, I think I dreamed that last night. Disregard.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
The only perk you get from Verizon is bent over - and not even with the common courtesy of a reach around either. :D

roberte1342

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
You are better off buying it tax free from amazon wireless for $279 on a new number. When it arrives and is activated change that new line to a dumbphone you have lyng an a junk drawer somewhere for $9.95/mo. Wait a few hours and activate the Note 2 on your unlimited phone number. (LTE sims take time to deactivate and become available for reactivation)
Enjoy unlimited data on your Note 2.
Two years later rinse and repeat or cancel the extra line.
If you have no use for a spare dumbphone it won't save alot. But if you do already have a dumbphone in use on your family shared plan then the savings are significant. In my case my 11 year old uses the $9.95 plan on a feature phone with the data turned off.

The way I see it, If I pay full price VZW isn't going to discount my monthly service so I am actually paying more. When I went to the VZW store with $300 cash in hand I left Noteless and disappointed that activation fees and taxes would have brought my total above $400. My budget for this phone was $300 and not a penny more. Amazon wireless sent me mine for $279 with free 2 day shipping and no activation fees. I had enough extra to buy a case :)

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
You are better off buying it tax free from amazon wireless for $279 on a new number. When it arrives and is activated change that new line to a dumbphone you have lyng an a junk drawer somewhere for $9.95/mo. Wait a few hours and activate the Note 2 on your unlimited phone number. (LTE sims take time to deactivate and become available for reactivation)
Enjoy unlimited data on your Note 2.
Two years later rinse and repeat or cancel the extra line.
If you have no use for a spare dumbphone it won't save alot. But if you do already have a dumbphone in use on your family shared plan then the savings are significant. In my case my 11 year old uses the $9.95 plan on a feature phone with the data turned off.

The way I see it, If I pay full price VZW isn't going to discount my monthly service so I am actually paying more. When I went to the VZW store with $300 cash in hand I left Noteless and disappointed that activation fees and taxes would have brought my total above $400. My budget for this phone was $300 and not a penny more. Amazon wireless sent me mine for $279 with free 2 day shipping and no activation fees. I had enough extra to buy a case :)

This might be a good idea for someone on a grandfathered plan, however here are the problems:

1. Amazon has their own Terms of Service agreement that does not allow you to do what you did. I believe the new device must remain active on the designated line for 6 months. I would expect additional charges from them.
2. The $9.95 is really about $15 after all the taxes. Added up over 24 months is $360 for the additional line. At this point you might as well have paid retail and not been locked into an additional two years.
3. God forbid you ever need to change rate plans to the new share everything plan. The $9.95 goes to $30 for a dumb phone.

I have personal experience with #2 and #3 so I am not talking BS here. I had to go to an unlimited minutes plan for work. This was something unforeseen when I did the extra line thing in October, 2011. That's way before share everything. I had no choice but to pay the ETF rather than move my extra line to a $30 +tax bill.

If you are going to do it, I would stay away from Amazon on this one and buy from BB or VZW direct. Be prepared for the what if scenario, and know that you really ARE paying full price when adding up the cost of the extra line.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site

The primary benefit IS keeping unlimited data, but another is the freedom of not being locked into a two year contract and having to play the wait to upgrade game. Personally, I really like that freedom as it gives me more control over my options as I can make a change at any time without worrying about ETF?s. The only limitation would be my own finances which I have direct control over anyway. There is also always the option of selling the phone to recoup some cost. Another benefit is you don?t pay an upgrade fee.

As to the bloatware, you can easily disable it (no root needed). It still takes up some storage space, but at least it?s removed from your app drawer. If you want to go further, you can root and remove it or go with a custom ROM that has it removed already. In the end, it?s still up to you whatever you want to do with the phone (same as a car); the only caveat is how it may affect the warranty. :)

Also personally speaking, I always prefer to get a phone directly from the carrier, no middle man and their potential extra requirements or hoops to jump through, nor do I have any patience (or see a real value) in playing the game of keeping a spare dumb phone and swapping upgrades between lines. I prefer to keep things simple. :)

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
Once your contract is fulfilled, whats to keep Verizon from canceling your unlimited data? The answer I think is nothing.

I see this happening sooner or later.

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Once your contract is fulfilled, whats to keep Verizon from canceling your unlimited data? The answer I think is nothing.

Eventually this is probably the plan, but I would think they would be more likely to take it away under contract because you are stuck. If you are out of contract you can simply leave and go to another provider.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site

There is a bit of risk that after paying full retail to keep unlimited data, Verizon could nix it. But the same holds true even if you?re on contract as Verizon still reserves the right to modify the terms of service. The real question is though: would Verizon actually nix unlimited? This Cnet article has a good discussion on the issue: Could Verizon nix unlimited data for everyone? | Mobile - CNET News

Excerpt:
I reached out to consumer rights attorney Michael Aschenbrener, of Aschenbrener Law regarding your question to get a legal perspective. Aschenbrener explained that Verizon Wireless is under no obligation to continue offering you an unlimited data plan. Verizon and all other carriers can refuse to continue providing service of any kind to any customer once that customer is paying his bill on a month-to-month basis, he said. You have to remember that when you forgo the subsidy, you are no longer in a contract for service with Verizon.

This means Verizon can change the terms at any time. Of course, this also means that you can cancel your service at any time and not pay an early termination fee.

But what I didn't realize and what you likely don't realize yourself is that even if you have a contract with Verizon, the terms could still be modified. Aschenbrener explained that according to the terms of carrier wireless contracts, operators include a clause that allows them to modify the terms whenever they want. The only upside for the consumer is that if the carrier changes the contract, you can get out of the contract without paying an early termination fee. The catch is that you have to pay close attention to these changes.

What this means is that Verizon could change its policy at any time and simply get rid of its unlimited data plan. So whether you buy your new phone or even if you were still within the two-year contract period, Verizon could get rid of this pricing plan and force all customers into a tiered offering.

The question is whether Verizon will actually do this. That is a tough question to answer. It's clear that Verizon's executives don't want customers on the unlimited plan any longer. In fact, the company's Chief Financial Officer Fran Shammo has said on multiple occasions that the company is better off if all customers are on tiered offerings.

So far it looks like the policies that Verizon has in place to encourage (well, more like strong-arm) subscribers to abandon their unlimited data plans is working. Shammo said at an investor conference in September that Verizon has seen people coming off the unlimited data plan to subscribe to the Share plans. And on the company's third-quarter earnings call, he said that more customers than expected have been shifting to the Share Everything plans. And he also noted that the company has not seen a surge of unlimited subscribers paying full price to keep their data plans.

"Most devices sold during the quarter had a subsidy," he said. "But we saw some smartphone customers buying phones at full price."

This is good news for customers who really want to keep their unlimited data plans. Why? The way I see it, Verizon may feel like it can afford to appease a small minority of customers willing to pay full price for a smartphone to keep the unlimited data plan. Even though Verizon can change its pricing policy at any time, it may not want to risk the bad publicity from doing so. And why should they bother if most people are switching to the tiered offerings anyway?

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
Eventually this is probably the plan, but I would think they would be more likely to take it away under contract because you are stuck. If you are out of contract you can simply leave and go to another provider.

Within a year there wont be anyone under contract and with unlimited data. (I could be off a few months).

jludwig57

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I was on unlimited data from Verizon until I took a trip to Italy and got a dumb phone activated for the international service. When I got back to the US, they reactivated my smartphone and I went from unlimited data to 2 gb of data for each month.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I was on unlimited data from Verizon until I took a trip to Italy and got a dumb phone activated for the international service. When I got back to the US, they reactivated my smartphone and I went from unlimited data to 2 gb of data for each month.

Oh snap. You got Verizoned!!!!

Ok that's the new catch phrase people :D

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy