Samsung Galaxy Note 2 USB PC Connection problem

crasherkid

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
hey guys am new here so sorry for my first post being a problem :p

ok so im kinda new to the android scene after many years of apple products i can safely say i wont be returning lol very impressed and gutted i didnt switch to android a long time ago...

anyway the problem i have is that after doing a lot of reading and browsing this and other forums i installed a few different kernels and then started with roms, and now discovered neither Bluetooth or usb works Ive tried many different things including restoring back to stock rom and kernel rebooting several times both PC and phone, ive tried a few other things that seemed to fix for others i installed the drivers at least 9 times now and kies over and over, also tried the galaxy note tool kit but it just wont see the phone it just charges it ive also tried a different cable and the same problem is there... the only option ive not tried is to completely remove root and start again, but the problem i have is that if that doesn't fix it is that i wont be able to root again through odin,
Ive enabled usb debugging etc also nothing im really lost with this now as want to transfer files that's when i realized Bluetooth wont switch on either

i upgraded to 4.1.2 with the omega rom also and still the same now am back to 4.1.1 through a saved restore

so pls any advice or pointers would be amazing

charlottedroidgxn2

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
I will start out by saying that after 3 Android phones, the sync software that is packaged by the maker of each phone (HTC, HTC, now Samsung) has been spotty at best, especially as related to USB connectivity. When trying to connect my device, I get a "Unsupported device Alert- This device is not supported by Kies 2.0. Make sure that your device is supported and try again".

A couple of things to note with my issue:

1- I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on Verizon (SCH-I605)
2- I live in the US
3- I have a Dell Vostro Laptop running Windows 7
4- I BELIEVE my ports are USB 2, but I do not know how I would go about checking that
5- I downloaded and installed the Kies software along with all the requisite drivers.
6- I used the USB cable connection troubleshooting steps outlined in the Kies homepage (to no avail).
7- I do have the latest version of Kies (2.5.1.12123_2)
8- I have tried uninstalling and re-installing Kies to no avail
9- I have tried uninstalling and re-installing the Samsung drivers to no avail
10- I am able to connect to Kies Air via a wi-fi connection (problem is with this that I cannot sync to my outlook calendar this way).
11- I have no desire to root my phone, so Im not looking for assistance that require those steps.

Thanks in advance for your advice

MaxBuck

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I will start out by saying that after 3 Android phones, the sync software that is packaged by the maker of each phone (HTC, HTC, now Samsung) has been spotty at best, especially as related to USB connectivity. When trying to connect my device, I get a "Unsupported device Alert- This device is not supported by Kies 2.0. Make sure that your device is supported and try again".

A couple of things to note with my issue:

1- I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on Verizon (SCH-I605)
2- I live in the US
3- I have a Dell Vostro Laptop running Windows 7
4- I BELIEVE my ports are USB 2, but I do not know how I would go about checking that
5- I downloaded and installed the Kies software along with all the requisite drivers.
6- I used the USB cable connection troubleshooting steps outlined in the Kies homepage (to no avail).
7- I do have the latest version of Kies (2.5.1.12123_2)
8- I have tried uninstalling and re-installing Kies to no avail
9- I have tried uninstalling and re-installing the Samsung drivers to no avail
10- I am able to connect to Kies Air via a wi-fi connection (problem is with this that I cannot sync to my outlook calendar this way).
11- I have no desire to root my phone, so Im not looking for assistance that require those steps.

Thanks in advance for your advice
Kies is not yet supported by Verizon, in contrast to Kies Air, which is.

You'll continue to get that "unsupported device" error message until Verizon gets off their collective duffs and fixes this issue.

charlottedroidgxn2

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Kies is not yet supported by Verizon, in contrast to Kies Air, which is.

You'll continue to get that "unsupported device" error message until Verizon gets off their collective duffs and fixes this issue.

LoL... I should have figured... Verizon seems to always be behind the times, either naively or for more insidious purposes. Thanks so much for the quick advice. :)

mywifehasabb

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
It's the cable!

I think this issue needs bumping, as my T889 Note II had the same "USB not recognized" issue. Also Windows 7 64 bit, Sony Vaio (Walmart Special) laptop.

Believe it or not, it's the cable! I have a feeling that Samsung sent out a huge batch of bad USB cables with the Note II's... I took my Galaxy S3 cable and hooked it up, and it was fine. I noticed the issue at first when I tried to transfer files from my S3 using the Note II cable, which SHOULD theoretically be fine since it's Samsung and changing spec like that would have been foolish. Well, guess what? "USB not recognized." Thankfully, super easy solution. Regretfully, not everyone has both phones.

Just thought I'd share that.

55loulou55

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
I never used to have a problem i was able to connect it no worries put my music on etc.. however since done the new update it just charges the phone but doesnt connect so its deffinatly not because your phones broken... ive tried everything and I am in the same boat as u i have even asked my phone company and they dont know (helpful I know) .. im going to try and download this usb driver app and see if this works otherwise i will put everything onto a memory chip and hope my phone reads it... sorry this isnt an answer to ur problem but just to let you know were both having the same problem

the devastator

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I just started to have the same issues. My phone is rooted but it was working great. A couple of days ago at work I had my phone plugged in to my computer and i kept hearing the connect and disconnect noise but i didn't pay attention to it.

Then yesterday i went to transfer some files onto the phone from my laptop at home and it wouldn't detect it. same thing at work today. My phone charges off the computer and on the actual phone screen it shows it connected as an mtp device but it's not showing up on the Windows Explorer.

I uninstalled and re-installed the drivers, and i used several different cables and have had no luck with it.

Edit: And now after restarting my phone and plugging it back into the computer it was recognized correctly. I have no idea what caused the problem or what fixed it but it's working again.

Last edited:

mobius99

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Re: It's the cable!

Have you tried airdroid app?I know this won't address your USB Cable problem(if thats's it).
I think this issue needs bumping, as my T889 Note II had the same "USB not recognized" issue. Also Windows 7 64 bit, Sony Vaio (Walmart Special) laptop.

Believe it or not, it's the cable! I have a feeling that Samsung sent out a huge batch of bad USB cables with the Note II's... I took my Galaxy S3 cable and hooked it up, and it was fine. I noticed the issue at first when I tried to transfer files from my S3 using the Note II cable, which SHOULD theoretically be fine since it's Samsung and changing spec like that would have been foolish. Well, guess what? "USB not recognized." Thankfully, super easy solution. Regretfully, not everyone has both phones.

Just thought I'd share that.

Idris Baxamusa

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
Did you download and install Kies from Samsung's website on your computer? Also, if you have any USB 3.0 ports make sure you are NOT plugged into one of those.

Before you download and instlall Kies, go to your Device Manager by searching Device manager and finding the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 drivers and uninstalling them. Then, download Kies (Kies - Sync Media, Contacts & Calendars Across All Devices | Samsung) and install the program. Once it done installing plug your phone in and wait for it to install.

that was a perfect solution.. i had installed samsung drivers seperately before.. without kies but it didnt work... i had been using kies air... from the browser but it still didnt work.. now that i have installed the full kies software with usb support ... its finally working.. .thanks bro.

BIGMANNYC

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
hey droid i read you post about getting the note 2 to connect im also having trouble getting pc to see the phone i have the drivers but it just keeps trying to connect with kies , i noticed you are referring to a verizon note 2? cuz i have a sprint one , will this be different drivers for the sprint note 2? thanx...

BIGMANNYC

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
hello idris i tried what you mentioned and i uninstalled the kies and samsung usb drivers then downloaded the above program and when i plugged in the phone i saw it said samsung device ready to use but it just keeps saying "connecting" with a picture of a phone with a black screen and a usb next to phone with a constant clockwise spinning circle? any ideas.... my phone is a sprint version but its connected to boost , (that should not be the reason) because i used to have a sprint htc evo 4g the same way on boost and it was able to connect fine with the htc software.

pedwarpimp

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
every time I connect my note to my pc via usb , it says the driver is missing and it can't recognise the device, I have to use the troubleshoot facility and it reinstalls the drivers, then it works, I have to do this every time I connect phone, what's going on ?

Dennis Threets

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
Did you ever get your note 2 to connect with your pc? I am having the same problem.
I also want to know how you rooted your phone. I would like to do the same.
Thanks
Dennis

Last edited by a moderator:

kasi167

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
I think the problem is the micro SD card
the moment I removed mine the installation process was easy and computer was able to see phone.
Try removing the microSD card and see

srvctec

May 29, 2011
Visit site
I had no problems getting mine to work on Win 7 but two separate XP machines was a no go. Drivers installed fine but pc doesn't see phone. Anyone else see this?

Sent from my Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk 2

BrooklynRubia

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Kies is NOT supported by Verizon? Why didn't I come here earlier? i sat in front of my PC at 7am this morning and I got off 1 hour ago91PM) because my phone would just not connect with KIES. I previously had the samsung galaxy s 1 & 2 and never had an issue with KIES but that was through T-MOBILE.
I am now with VERIZON. And now thanks to your post I see that it's not even me, it's the damn Verizon network. Thanks for your input on this issue. I was beyond annoyed. I wanted to get the new jellybean update that of course Verizon has not sent to me yet. Usually I manually upgrade via Kies but I guess I won't be until Verizon gets their act together. Damn shame, I wasted an entire morning uninstalling and reinstalling my KIES and drivers only to read that my device was unsupported .

Randy69

Apr 12, 2013
Visit site
So I just left the Verizon store and we plugged my Galaxy Note 2 into their computer with their USB cord and nothing. One of the Verizon guys had a galaxy Note 2 also and they plugged it in and nothing too. They grabbed an S3 and plugged it in with the same cable and VOILA! it immediately hooked up with the computer so it may not be the cable. Thanks for the suggestion though, I may contact Samsung and ask for another one. I guess I'll just pull my SD card to transfer files directly which is a pain.

update: Strange thing happened. So now I've called Verizon to tell them to fix this known issue. They walked me through and we viewed a few things on my phone but changed nothing...no settings at all. Then they had me plug my phone in and now it works on all my computers. I have no idea what happened..I did wiggle the USB cord a bit, but don't really know why it is now working. But I'm happy anyways. It now works on my AMD processor computer and my Intel processor laptop. Go figure.

Last edited:

osksvicious

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
i got kies work with the Verizon SCH-I605 Samsung Galaxy note 2 i had to root , unlock the bootloader and replace the rom. i had disable my virus and firewall and peerblock to do.

1 i had to uninstall kies and all the drivers for the phone.
2 i download Galaxy Note2 ToolKit 3.0.0 and install the drive from it.
3 i had to download CASUAL One-Click make sure the new version of java is installed and open CASUAL with java plug phone in and click do it when it ready.
4 i had to download ClockworkMod Recovery and install in recovery mode to get to recovery mode power + home button and volume up button when turn it on.
5 i had to down load Jedi-XV12 and addons and the kies addon put all the stuff on a sd card and power up in recovery mode wipe the system memory and all the cashe and install the rom and then the addons don't need all of them when all the install done rebooted and setup the phone and update the software.
6 uninstall all the drivers again and installed kies close it and plug the phone in and let windows install it drivers and i open kies and it popup.

all the thing i download can be found over at xda-developers

:D

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scout13fox