Question about the contacts app. please help

crl95

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone I am new to android and i had restored my contacts from verizons thing and also google contacts.... on iphone you can easily remove all the contacts or just remove all the ones from verizon and stuff like that... what are my options to get rid of all my duplicates now?

jharo

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
The reason you have duplicate contacts is Backup Assistant and Google Contact are different. You have to join them. Go to the contact and edit it. It will give you an option to join that contact. Sorry, but that's what you have to do. Btw, back up assistant sucks big donkey butt.

k9cop

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm still surprised people still use the backup assistant. Putting all of your contacts in Google is so much easier.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I guess backup assistant had a use before true smart phones. You can disable backup assistant in settings by unchecking the box to sync your contacts. Join your duplicate contacts in the contacts app and you should be good to go.

FYI - the same type of issue can happen if your choose to sync your Facebook contacts. The contacts app will attempt to join exact duplicates, but it will miss some. For example, my wife uses her maiden name as a middle name on FB so old friends can find her. She showed up twice in my contacts so I joined them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I guess backup assistant had a use before true smart phones. You can disable backup assistant in settings by unchecking the box to sync your contacts. Join your duplicate contacts in the contacts app and you should be good to go.

FYI - the same type of issue can happen if your choose to sync your Facebook contacts. The contacts app will attempt to join exact duplicates, but it will miss some. For example, my wife uses her maiden name as a middle name on FB so old friends can find her. She showed up twice in my contacts so I joined them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When I purchased my Note 2, the guy at the Verizon store attempted to activate Backup Assistant but I promptly stopped him and said I only use Google contacts. He was amazed that I didn't use their client for contacts, basically saying that Backup Assistant is necessary for all smart phones. Wouldn't have mattered if he had activated it, once I got home I froze the app and sync service to get rid of bloat.

crl95

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
When I purchased my Note 2, the guy at the Verizon store attempted to activate Backup Assistant but I promptly stopped him and said I only use Google contacts. He was amazed that I didn't use their client for contacts, basically saying that Backup Assistant is necessary for all smart phones. Wouldn't have mattered if he had activated it, once I got home I froze the app and sync service to get rid of bloat.
The guy at the store did it before i even had the chance to stop him:( ...guess i will just wait until i install a ROM... that would result in me loosing all my contacts right?

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
The guy at the store did it before i even had the chance to stop him:( ...guess i will just wait until i install a ROM... that would result in me loosing all my contacts right?

When you flash a ROM from stock OS, you will need to perform a data wipe which will basically bring you back to full stock as if you just took it out of the box. Most of the ROMs don't even include the set up phase with Backup Assistant. As long as your contacts are on Google then your are good to go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy