My VZW Galaxy Note 2 did NOT work in Europe with European prepaid SIM cards! (Germany, UK, Finland)

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Europe with European prepaid SIM cards! (Germany, UK, Finland)

According to verizon, it should work.
Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Big difference between being global ready and global enabled. You still have to ball Verizon's global team.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note II

mariongiant

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Europe with European prepaid SIM cards! (Germany, UK, Finland)

I spoke with a VZW global support rep last week, as I'm planning a trip to Israel soon. He told me that LTE phones are always unlocked, including the Note 2. He said it would take a foreign sim. I asked about the APN, and he insisted that, once the phone recognized a non-VZW sim card, the APN menu would become unlocked so settings could be entered. I don't think this is true. I suspect that not all of the reps understand the intricacies of this phone. I had similar difficulties going overseas with the Blackberry Storm when it first came out.

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
The only phone that is unlocked is iPhone 5 on Verizon from my understanding. The rest need to be requested through customer service.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note II

arundc

May 3, 2010
Visit site

I spoke with a VZW global support rep last week, as I'm planning a trip to Israel soon. He told me that LTE phones are always unlocked, including the Note 2. He said it would take a foreign sim. I asked about the APN, and he insisted that, once the phone recognized a non-VZW sim card, the APN menu would become unlocked so settings could be entered. I don't think this is true. I suspect that not all of the reps understand the intricacies of this phone. I had similar difficulties going overseas with the Blackberry Storm when it first came out.

The Rep doesn't know what s/he is saying. Not true at all! I took my Note 2 overseas and the APN menu was locked to Verizon. It (voice/data) only worked when I put the Verizon SIM back in. The phone is Global ready, not Global unlocked. I am sorta pi$$ed but what can you do. I am not prepared to root just yet. I had the Storm as well and used it overseas and have similar experiences.

BuyOneGetFour

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site

The Rep doesn't know what s/he is saying. Not true at all! I took my Note 2 overseas and the APN menu was locked to Verizon. It (voice/data) only worked when I put the Verizon SIM back in. The phone is Global ready, not Global unlocked. I am sorta pi$$ed but what can you do. I am not prepared to root just yet. I had the Storm as well and used it overseas and have similar experiences.

that has been my experience as well.... (my co-workers who have VZW Note 2 reported the same things)

What's wrong with Verizon Wireless? I do not mind if they lock the phone and force me to roam for $2 per minunte.
They are a business and it's their right to charge me what they want.

However, I really hate it when they tell me that the phone is unlocked and I can use any foreign GSM SIM card
while overseas. I ended up wasting money on the foreign GSM prepaid SIM cards that I bought. :mad:

twindragons187

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
that has been my experience as well.... (my co-workers who have VZW Note 2 reported the same things)

What's wrong with Verizon Wireless? I do not mind if they lock the phone and force me to roam for $2 per minunte.
They are a business and it's their right to charge me what they want.

However, I really hate it when they tell me that the phone is unlocked and I can use any foreign GSM SIM card
while overseas. I ended up wasting money on the foreign GSM prepaid SIM cards that I bought. :mad:

Call verizon and ask for the globel support. Ask them to unlock the phone. They should know, and if they dont. Grill them til they give u the unlock code.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

rwstarkey

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Folks - prepaid sim cards ONLY work in GSM phones. Verizon is CDMA. So, two choices... Pay Verizon's expensive global per minute fees, or put a prepaid sim in a GSM phone (will NEVER work in ANY CDMA phone) and get rates for 80% less. I carry a cheap GSM phone to use the prepaids on and then if I need data I carry a GSM mifi and connect my Verizon CDMA smartphone to it wirelessly and then use my smartphone for data. Or connect your tablet or laptop or whatever. Cheapest way.

signaltwins

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
Folks - prepaid sim cards ONLY work in GSM phones. Verizon is CDMA. So, two choices... Pay Verizon's expensive global per minute fees, or put a prepaid sim in a GSM phone (will NEVER work in ANY CDMA phone) and get rates for 80% less. I carry a cheap GSM phone to use the prepaids on and then if I need data I carry a GSM mifi and connect my Verizon CDMA smartphone to it wirelessly and then use my smartphone for data. Or connect your tablet or laptop or whatever. Cheapest way.

Prepaid GSM SIM cards work perfectly in my Verizon Galaxy Note 2.
AT&T, T-Mobile, and even foreign SIM cards.(personally tested in
Singapore and Spain) This applies to voice and text only. Data does
NOT work because I did not root my Verizon Galaxy Note 2.

If it's not working in your Verizon Galaxy Note 2, then it's broken and
you should immediately request a replacement Note 2 from Verizon.

thechidz

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site

whenever i travel abroad it's all about wifi, google voice and talkatone. It's all you need...

Rickgsx

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Okay.... since I don't know I'll ask a stupid question... I have a Verizon Note 2 that "IS" unlocked & rooted... I'm heading over to Portugal in the near future and want to see what (if anything) I need to get or do to have service...?

I haven't really looked, I'm sure there are links out there... Thank you...

rwstarkey

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
If you have a CDMA Verizon Galaxy Note 2 and you are putting in a GSM prepaid sim then I do not have any idea how that can work. CDMA does not work nearly anywhere in Europe AFAIK, and GSM and CDMA are two entirely different technologies, unless the Note 2 has both built in.

AndroidXTC

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone tried putting in a TMobil or AT&T card in the Note 2? I know it works with the DNA. If the phone is truly unlocked it should also take a local GSM carriers SIM. Before you leave to go over seas if your phone wont work on AT&T it wont work on the German GSM system either.

AndroidXTC

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
This handset and the HTC DNA both have Dual radios GSM and CDMA The DNA is factory unlocked it appears the Note 2 is somehow blocked by Verizon on the GSM band.

signaltwins

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone tried putting in a TMobil or AT&T card in the Note 2? I know it works with the DNA. If the phone is truly unlocked it should also take a local GSM carriers SIM. Before you leave to go over seas if your phone wont work on AT&T it wont work on the German GSM system either.

My Verizon Galaxy Note 2 has a T-Mobile GSM SIM card inside right now. (prepaid card) Works fine for voice and text.

Like I said a few posts earlier... my Verizon Galaxy Note 2 had no problems using GSM SIM cards while I was in Spain
and Singapore. (again, only voice and text work.... not data)

mntom

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
Is there a post or a sticky that gives the whole process of getting the Note 2 to work on a GSM system overseas? For voice and data?

Sent from my kick-*** Samsung Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

signaltwins

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
Is there a post or a sticky that gives the whole process of getting the Note 2 to work on a GSM system overseas? For voice and data?

Sent from my kick-*** Samsung Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

For voice:

(1) open backcover
(2) pull out battery
(3) take out Verizon SIM card
(4) insert GSM SIM card(US or foreign, prepaid or otherwise)
(5) re-install battery and backcover
(6) power on the phone
(7) DONE

For data, you must root first.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
If you have a CDMA Verizon Galaxy Note 2 and you are putting in a GSM prepaid sim then I do not have any idea how that can work. CDMA does not work nearly anywhere in Europe AFAIK, and GSM and CDMA are two entirely different technologies, unless the Note 2 has both built in.

The verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II has gsm radios, and does come factory sim unlocked. It can be used on tmo or att domestically, and internationally on gsm carriers as well. It does have a locked apn, so you would need root to get data

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

MaxBuck

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Your posts simply confuse the issue; VZW phones have all the requisite radios needed to work throughout Europe, and indeed in pretty much any foreign place.