Google Voice Voicemail Notifications?

phantomog

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone have googe voice voicemail setup with their Note 2? I had this setup already with my old phone (Thunderbolt) and it worked fine. Now, with my Note 2, the Google Voice app doesn't seem to sync in the background and provide notification for new voicemails. If I open the google voice app, it will sync and show the voicemails then -- but no notification at all prior to opening the app.

Anyone know a fix? I do have the settings in google voice to allow background sync.

phantomog

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
it is odd that under account, sync settings for Google, there are a million sync types (calendar, chrome, play books, play magazines, google+, etc etc) but Voice is *not* there.

atlas9171

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
it is odd that under account, sync settings for Google, there are a million sync types (calendar, chrome, play books, play magazines, google+, etc etc) but Voice is *not* there.

Not really odd, mine isn't listed there and Google Voice has been working fine on my Note 2. Not sure why it's having issues with yours though other than something being amiss in the settings somewhere.

atlas9171

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
cleared app data, uninstalled, re-installed... no joy :(

Well outside of what making sure background data being enabled, making sure notifications are checked and the obvious making sure it's Google Voice as the voicemail service in the call settings I'm not sure why it wouldn't be working correctly. Only other thing I can think of is something out of our control on Google's end and I just haven't noticed since I don't get a ton of voicemails.

phantomog

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I don't get a ton of voicemails either -- which is why its concerning. Listening to a voicemail is about the only reason I have to open up the google voice app so I usually don't open it unless I know there is a new voicemail for me.

Just tested again by leaving myself a voicemail from another phone. Still didn't get a notification an hour after leaving it, however, when I opened google voice and it updated, I *did* get the notification then. First time I've seen a google voice notification on my Note 2. Obviously still not fixed as getting the notification only after opening the app is completely pointless. Still trying...

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
This doesn't really solve the problem, but have you tried using the widget? The widget shows any voicemails you've received in the display area of the widget. This is what I was using. Now I just have the GV icon on my home page and notifications set up using Nova and TeslaUnread. That seems to work for me.

corki2

Nov 5, 2010
Visit site
If all else fails you can set GV to send you a text message when you get a voicemail. You have to set it up on your PC.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

cj100570

Spoken Word?
Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Does anyone have googe voice voicemail setup with their Note 2? I had this setup already with my old phone (Thunderbolt) and it worked fine. Now, with my Note 2, the Google Voice app doesn't seem to sync in the background and provide notification for new voicemails. If I open the google voice app, it will sync and show the voicemails then -- but no notification at all prior to opening the app.

Anyone know a fix? I do have the settings in google voice to allow background sync.

Google Voice has been flaky since before the new year. On the Note II however it will not notify you of missed calls or voice-mails It will notify you of text messages. Always have it setup so that I get an email for missed calls/voice-mails so I don't miss the status bar notifications for those 2 items.

phantomog

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Google Voice has been flaky since before the new year. On the Note II however it will not notify you of missed calls or voice-mails It will notify you of text messages. Always have it setup so that I get an email for missed calls/voice-mails so I don't miss the status bar notifications for those 2 items.

thanks for confirming this is an issue. Did some googling and apparently lots of GS3 owners have this same issue. Seems odd no Note 2 users here seemed upset about it. Perhaps no one uses GV for voicemail?

Anyways, I tried a bunch of different stuff to get it working and could not get it to work the way it was supposed to. As a workaround, if I choose to "Notify me of new voicemails via text" on the web GV interface, my phone does get a txt message AND somehow that kicks off the GV voicemail notification. Kind of annoying have to deal with multiple notifications for a new voice mail but it beats not getting notified at all. (I actually have my work exchange email set to sync SMS messages so in reality I'm getting *3* notifications for each new voicemail now... fun!)

atlas9171

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
thanks for confirming this is an issue. Did some googling and apparently lots of GS3 owners have this same issue. Seems odd no Note 2 users here seemed upset about it. Perhaps no one uses GV for voicemail?

Anyways, I tried a bunch of different stuff to get it working and could not get it to work the way it was supposed to. As a workaround, if I choose to "Notify me of new voicemails via text" on the web GV interface, my phone does get a txt message AND somehow that kicks off the GV voicemail notification. Kind of annoying have to deal with multiple notifications for a new voice mail but it beats not getting notified at all. (I actually have my work exchange email set to sync SMS messages so in reality I'm getting *3* notifications for each new voicemail now... fun!)

Could be that very few have noticed any issues, I tested mine this morning and it worked flawlessly as far as I could tell. In reality, most people probably use the standard voicemail though.

cj100570

Spoken Word?
Nov 12, 2009
Visit site

I use GV exclusively for my VM and I noticed it immediately. As I said though, the same had been happening on my Galaxy Nexus in the week leading up to me getting the Note II. When I 1st setup my work email I was baffled about that text message stuff but I quickly tracked that down and shut it off. I was very nervous about personal messages showing up in that inbox. Lol.

Bobman

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm not alone! Thought I was losing my mind.

I use Google Voice for all calls, texts, and voice mail. It is the only phone number I give out. Text messages work just fine, but I don't seem to be notified of voice mail. I just have to open the app to check if I see a missed call. Hopefully, this will get fixed. It wasn't an issue before on my Thunderbolt.

MaxBuck

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site

I use Google Voice; it sends me both text message and Gmail alerting me when I have VM. Same as for my old Droid Charge. It still works flawlessly on the GN2.

phantomog

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I use Google Voice; it sends me both text message and Gmail alerting me when I have VM.

Yeah, the txt and emails for new voicemails are not the problem. The problem is you shouldn't even have to turn on text or email notifications for new voicemails because you should get a "voicemail" notification from the google voice app.

cj100570

Spoken Word?
Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I use Google Voice; it sends me both text message and Gmail alerting me when I have VM. Same as for my old Droid Charge. It still works flawlessly on the GN2.

The issue the OP is referring to is the fact that GV is supposed to alert the receipt of new voicemails in the status bar. Email and text alerts are options. The VM is also supposed to show up in the dialer app with an option to listen to it from there. It works on my Galaxy Nexus, after a fix from Google in December, but doesn't on my Galaxy Note II.

MaxBuck

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
... you shouldn't even have to turn on text or email notifications for new voicemails because you should get a "voicemail" notification from the google voice app.
I never received such notifications on my Droid Charge, either, so I guess for me nothing has changed.

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
The issue the OP is referring to is the fact that GV is supposed to alert the receipt of new voicemails in the status bar. Email and text alerts are options. The VM is also supposed to show up in the dialer app with an option to listen to it from there. It works on my Galaxy Nexus, after a fix from Google in December, but doesn't on my Galaxy Note II.

Yes, there are check boxes in settings for notifications. It doesn't work.

Using Nova with the TeslaUnread add-on you can add a notification badge to the GV app on your home screen. This does work, however you still get nothing in the notification bar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12