Buying a Verizon Demo Unit - Suggestions

anon(12815)

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm looking to buy a Note 2 demo unit. The seller say the Verizon demo stays active and there is no way to turn it off. Claims that this is hardware specific.

Can this still be rooted and wiped clean? Don't want to waste my money if I can't use it cleanly.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm looking to buy a Note 2 demo unit. The seller say the Verizon demo stays active and there is no way to turn it off. Claims that this is hardware specific.

Can this still be rooted and wiped clean? Don't want to waste my money if I can't use it cleanly.

I find that hard to believe but I wouldn't be fully shocked if it turned out to be true. What you can do if you do end up deciding to pull the trigger is when you get it, blast it clean by doing a factory reset in stock recovery and then with ODIN flash the Stock ROM package found in our Root/Hacking section. Assuming that it is NOT hardware related and just a special version of the OS this will kill everything that is currently on the device and replace it with a clean OS.

fillossofer

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Honestly I don't know for sure, but I am highly suspect. Are we to believe Samsung built any number of demo units with a demo embedded in the hardware? That just doesn't make sense. It would be so much easier to apply a demo app on the phone that has some kind of auto restart, or start on wake, or stay on while plugged in...

I'd take a chance and buy it in hopes of unlocking it and installing a custom rom.

Edit: I see the eBay listing, and am now even more convinced that you could root and remove the demo. However I wouldn't pay him $500.

kris.richards

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
500 for a demo unit?? If it was me I'd shell out an extra $100 and get one off of CL or something. But hey, if you can flash a clean ROM and everything functions properly, more power too ya for saving $200. If you do purchase it make sure you let us know how everything goes!

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
What type of warranty (if any) does it have? Even if it has one, who knows what type of abuse the phone has endured as a demo unit (shiver at the thought! ugh :-!). Personally, I think it's worth the extra cost to get brand new in the box never been touched by anyone but the factory! :)

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site

Lol reps are so uneducated its crazy

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

darcy6901

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Did you ever purchase this phone? I think a phone like this was sold to me last week.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you ever purchase this phone? I think a phone like this was sold to me last week.

jweimn

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Its not hardware its just an app that keeps it running a going a full wipe should do you fine. Although 500 for one that's been running 24/7 for who knows how long is way to long. The battery for one is definitely shot and who else knows what.

Just my 2 cents

MissyHaney

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
there shouldn't be any problems with a Verizon demo Galaxy Note 2.

I always perform tests when I visit the Verizon corporate stores.

Including, but not limited to:

drop test (well.. only about a 10 inches)
banging test (against the counter to make sure it still works)
scratch test (my class ring)
screen pressure test (pushing my thumb against the screen as much as I can)
high pressure home button test (same as above, except on home button)
high pressure S-pen-on-screen test (same as above, except with a S-pen, not available at all stores)

so you should be fine.

jorgeix

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I recently bought a note 3 for verizon form some guy on CL. The phone looked normal when I tried, I inserted my SIMM card and everything worked as it should; however when I took it home I started to see this Verizon demo app installing itself and I couldn't shut if off. I reset the phone and it would install itself after a few minutes and I would not allow me to turn off the screen because the app runs all the time, so I did a little research and the solution I found was to root the phone and install titanium backup and freeze the Verizon demo app. I did that and now the phone works perfect, the demo app its installed but it doesn't run. I'm downloading some custom Roms right now and I'm going to see what happens because I want to get rid completely of this demo app.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon