Software Update

MaxBuck

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I received the notice and mine "failed" and prompted me to see https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...erizon.com/galaxynotellsupport&token=t7-xAGTc for details but no page exists.
Try instead Software Update: Galaxy Note? II by Samsung - Coming Soon! | Verizon Wireless

After my awful experiences with software updates on my old Droid Charge (made battery life so short that the phone was not usable), I do not plan to accept any updates for at least one month after they are released, to verify that battery life is not compromised and that other phone features are not damaged.

phantomog

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
This update killed my Isis wallet. I When I went to my wallet it said my hardware was invalid since I was rooted. (I'm not!) Luckily a reboot fixed the issue.

DarkChylde-QC

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Alright - I could definitely use a few extra heads on this one. My device status shows as 'Normal', however, I am rooted using the method that was posted prior to the discovery of the Exynos exploit. I rooted with the stock rooted rom (not the deodexed version). My bootloader is still locked. When I attempted to update, I got a big fat fail. I thought it might have something to do with some of the apps that I froze, so I unfroze everything, temporarily unrooted via Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper, then tried again. Same result. I never deleted anything that came stock on this phone (not even that trifling Verizon backup app). The only mods that I made to the phone were 1) Added Wifi Toggle to Status Bar (didn't strip anything) and 2) Changed Status Bar to Black. The only other change to the phone I made was associated with the rooted rom. It was rooted with superuser originally, but I preferred to use supersu instead. After I installed supersu, I uninstalled superuser. That is the extent of the changes I made.

My goal is to be able to install the updated firmware from Verizon, but I don't wish to lose any data or apps in the process. Ideally, I'd like to still be rooted after all is said and done (so I can freeze the bloat again), but if worst comes to worst, I could give that up for now (until someone finds a new rooting method). Best options given the situation?

Ed270

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
yep, by the time Verizon releases it, there will already be a new version beyond that, love their service, hate their update delays.

Let me get this right. If it effects Verizon they push an update immediately . But If it benefits the customer then your update will be "coming soon"

It's a Phone, it's a Tablet, It's a Phablet

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Let me get this right. If it effects Verizon they push an update immediately . But If it benefits the customer then your update will be "coming soon"

Nice way of looking at it, didn't even occur to me to spin it like that.

It's true that this exploit could potentially cause network issues (theoretically) so it makes sense that they would want to push out a fix as soon as possible. But you're right, when it comes to covering their own arses it's quick quick quick. When it comes to improving the experience for the customers though its a whole different story. Can't push this update oh no no no. We'll flip the switch tomorrow. No, next Thursday. No next November. Maybe next year.

O_please

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys, the update from OTA, does it fix the kernel?
It will not completely fix the problem if it's just a patch and I doubt Samsung can get it done in such a short time considering the huge spread on Exynos 4 based devices, not to mention applications compatibility!

To clear some misunderstanding, if your device has been attacked its not only the camera functionality that is concerned, the attacker will be able to gain FULL control of your device easily and it's done without your knowledge and permission.

csimms32

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
The update will also lock ghe bootloader again but on xda the is a thread on how to unlock it again

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

bigguy_132

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
Alright - I could definitely use a few extra heads on this one. My device status shows as 'Normal', however, I am rooted using the method that was posted prior to the discovery of the Exynos exploit. I rooted with the stock rooted rom (not the deodexed version). My bootloader is still locked. When I attempted to update, I got a big fat fail. I thought it might have something to do with some of the apps that I froze, so I unfroze everything, temporarily unrooted via Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper, then tried again. Same result. I never deleted anything that came stock on this phone (not even that trifling Verizon backup app). The only mods that I made to the phone were 1) Added Wifi Toggle to Status Bar (didn't strip anything) and 2) Changed Status Bar to Black. The only other change to the phone I made was associated with the rooted rom. It was rooted with superuser originally, but I preferred to use supersu instead. After I installed supersu, I uninstalled superuser. That is the extent of the changes I made.

My goal is to be able to install the updated firmware from Verizon, but I don't wish to lose any data or apps in the process. Ideally, I'd like to still be rooted after all is said and done (so I can freeze the bloat again), but if worst comes to worst, I could give that up for now (until someone finds a new rooting method). Best options given the situation?

I'm in the same boat. I just reverted back my SystemUI and am going to backup root with voodoo root keeper and see if that will allow me to update. I'll report back.

EDIT: Update after restoring the original SystemUI and backing up root I was able to apply the OTA, revert back the SystemUI with the WI-FI toggle, and restore root.

Last edited: