So Upsetting! Spoke w/VZW Rep...

roberte1342

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
When I did this I ran into a problem of needing to wait for the SIM card to let go on the network. The CSR stayed on the line with me about 30 minutes until it activated properly.
Here is how I did mine:
1. Bought GN2 from Amazon for $279 on my dumbphone line. (Not a penny more in taxes, fees, etc.)
2. Activated the phone when it arrived.
2. Re-Activated the Note 2 on my unlimited line.
4. Re-Activated the dumbphone back on that line.
(One of these activations failed online, and I needed the CSR to do it as stated above)

Just a note that someone on this forum told me that what I did was against Amazon's TOS and that I may get dinged $400 by them if they don't like it. I've read the TOS and I don't see for myself that a problem would exists unless I cancelled the dumbphone line prior to the 180 commission maturity date.
If you decide to do this, DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK

One thing you might consider is just getting a new line now. Then in August when the contract ends on the other dumbline, cancel it (old dumbphone line, not the new one you got the GN2 on). You will only be paying for an unneeded line for 8 months. Considering that the GN2 is $750 after taxes, there could still be significant savings. The only downside is that you would lose your phone number. If it were me I'd just port it to Google Voice for $20 and forward it to the new one when that time comes. The porting automatically cancels that line. Voice calls and Texts still arrive if configured in GV, but MMS can be a problem. If you do this, make sure you check with CS that there will not be any ETF's etc.

Anyway I'm up too late and tired so take it for what its worth.

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
If you upgrade on a dumb phone (whether a transferred upgrade or not), there's no "unlimited data" plan to lose. If all you have is two phones both with unlimited data, whichever phone you upgrade will lose the unlimited data.

I thought this horse had been beaten to death already, but apparently the glue factory is still looking for feedstock.

Maxbuck, your information is appreciated and valuable, and I respect that. But there was no reason for the 'beaten horse' comment as many posts have been written months ago and recently, and as we all know, not to many things in life stay the same, carriers do change their policies and loop holes, and for many of us, that have not done this yet, need to be assured of the most current policies of what we 'can' and 'can't' do. Thank you.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Its just easier to do it online. Transfer the upgrade. Get the phone. Reactivate the dumb phone and activate the new phone on your line. Just did my dads. Still has his unlimited.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

Sooooo, if the dumb line is then not affected by the transfer of the unlimited line (as this line would get the new extended contract), it should work to then transfer my 2nd unlimited to it again at some point, right? Just sounds to good to be true?

phantomog

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Yes that is true (that's what I was trying to tell you in the other thread)

Who knows how long this loophole will last though. It is a pretty complicated process so I'm hopeful that it will be around for awhile.

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Edit: just read the rest of your post. You won't be able to do this till your upgrade date in Feb. Also you are correct about VZW removing unlimited data. Should they decide to do this and you're out of contract, say you just paid full price for the note 2 then they remove unlimited data, you are royally screwed. But if you do what I posted, anytime you do an alternative upgrade (the VZW term for all for all of this) you resign a contract for 2 years under your old terms. So if you move an upgrade from unlimited you resign the contract for 2 years at those terms. If they decide to drop unlimited data all together before those 2 years are up, it breaks your contract entirely and you are free to walk away with no early termination.

Sorry, I totally missed this part.....makes total sense! Thats why I think it is better to Transfer the upgrade of the unlimited to the dumb line.

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Please forgive me, I am sorry as I know there are a bunch of threads regarding doing upgrades to keep unilimted and I know similar things have been stated.....I thought for sure I had a way to work out at least one of my 2 unlimited lines (based on a lot of those threads/posts, thank you AC members)....but, the rep I just talked to said the only option I have is to buy a phone through a third party like ebay, Yes that is what she said.....what??? Are you kidding!

I have 2 unlimited lines with Thunderbolts (upgradeable first week of Feb. and of course trying not to ugrade those lines to not lose the unlimited), and one line with a dumb phone (upgradeable in Aug.) and trying to go to GN2 for both lines. My husband and I are not Huge data users (I am more than him) but, I dont want to have to worry about it and I really feel that more and more things in the future will use more data.....

I said what about transfering my upgrade to the dumb line, which I know that some of you have accomplished....she said, I am so sorry but I even checked with a supervisor and you cannot transfer an upgrade! I told her that I didnt want to take it out on her, but gave my little rant of I have been a VZW customer for 11 years, and new people get deals, but loyal long time customers get NOTHING??? She didnt even make suggestions like to add a line or ANYTHING at all! All she kept saying was, "I am so sorry and if I had unlimited I certainly would want to keep it too, and you can go to a third party to get a phone!" So I dont know if they have just closed a lot of the loopholes or work arounds that others have been able to do in just the last couple weeks??? I am just really frustrated now and I cannot and will not pay full retail, which she didnt even suggest either! Your help/input would be truly appreciated. Thank you!

try switching the upgrade to the dumb phone line through the online website....thats what i did.....no dealing with reps and you know immediately what you are dealing with....

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Yes that is true (that's what I was trying to tell you in the other thread)

Who knows how long this loophole will last though. It is a pretty complicated process so I'm hopeful that it will be around for awhile.

Phantomog, I am so sorry as Yes, you were telling me the same thing....it just sounded to good to be true....please accept my apology!

Irvgotti

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
The only thing I noticed with this is you will be charged an activation fee on your line. When I got the dna, I got charged for activation on my lone and the dumb Line as well. Its only 30-40bucks.

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
The only thing I noticed with this is you will be charged an activation fee on your line. When I got the dna, I got charged for activation on my lone and the dumb Line as well. Its only 30-40bucks.

Well that's interesting that they charged both the lines an activation fee! I could see maybe one.

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Off topic on my own thread and might be silly question but here goes.....how do you change what it says in the signature when you reply to a post? Example mines says:
"Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums"

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Off topic on my own thread and might be silly question but here goes.....how do you change what it says in the signature when you reply to a post? Example mines says:
"Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums"

Open tapatalk, not a shortcut then on the main screen press menu - settings - down to signature

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I don't use/have tapatalk. $2.99 app?

Lol! Omg I just noticed that. Not sure on the AC app but I'm sure there's a setting somewhere. Yes I was talking about tapatalk

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Lol! Omg I just noticed that. Not sure on the AC app but I'm sure there's a setting somewhere. Yes I was talking about tapatalk

Haha Bond! Is that app really worth paying for? Why do you need it? Anything like it free?

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Haha Bond! Is that app really worth paying for? Why do you need it? Anything like it free?

It's okay. I use it for both AC and XDA. I feel like any app that you pay for should work almost bug free but there's a hand full of bugs with it that seem to never be addressed.

DB12088

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Open tapatalk, not a shortcut then on the main screen press menu - settings - down to signature

From the main thread screen click on more at the top of the screen and then settings scroll down to signature then customize and put in whatever you want your signature line to read

Edit:This is for the AC app

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
From the main thread screen click on more at the top of the screen and then settings scroll down to signature then customize and put in whatever you want your signature line to read

Edit:This is for the AC app

Perfect! I looked in there, I guess I didn't go deep enough into those menus! Thank you so much!

Hopefully a Galaxy Note ll owner Soon!

AZSALUKI

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

It's worth it if you frequent many forums. I hang out in 4 quite a bit so it's nice to access all if them from on app.

tapa'd from my note ii

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
It's worth it if you frequent many forums. I hang out in 4 quite a bit so it's nice to access all if them from on app.

tapa'd from my note ii

Thank you, good to know, I think I am fine with the AC app, especially now that I see I can customize it a bit.

Hopefully a Galaxy Note ll owner Soon!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC