So Upsetting! Spoke w/VZW Rep...

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Please forgive me, I am sorry as I know there are a bunch of threads regarding doing upgrades to keep unilimted and I know similar things have been stated.....I thought for sure I had a way to work out at least one of my 2 unlimited lines (based on a lot of those threads/posts, thank you AC members)....but, the rep I just talked to said the only option I have is to buy a phone through a third party like ebay, Yes that is what she said.....what??? Are you kidding!

I have 2 unlimited lines with Thunderbolts (upgradeable first week of Feb. and of course trying not to ugrade those lines to not lose the unlimited), and one line with a dumb phone (upgradeable in Aug.) and trying to go to GN2 for both lines. My husband and I are not Huge data users (I am more than him) but, I dont want to have to worry about it and I really feel that more and more things in the future will use more data.....

I said what about transfering my upgrade to the dumb line, which I know that some of you have accomplished....she said, I am so sorry but I even checked with a supervisor and you cannot transfer an upgrade! I told her that I didnt want to take it out on her, but gave my little rant of I have been a VZW customer for 11 years, and new people get deals, but loyal long time customers get NOTHING??? She didnt even make suggestions like to add a line or ANYTHING at all! All she kept saying was, "I am so sorry and if I had unlimited I certainly would want to keep it too, and you can go to a third party to get a phone!" So I dont know if they have just closed a lot of the loopholes or work arounds that others have been able to do in just the last couple weeks??? I am just really frustrated now and I cannot and will not pay full retail, which she didnt even suggest either! Your help/input would be truly appreciated. Thank you!

Goldchamp

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Sounds to me like you got a couple rep's in bad moods. Go in and talk to a Verizon rep in store. I know a lot of people wouldn't give up unlimited to save their lives but i did it bout 5 months ago and haven't missed a beat since. I am saving approximately $140 a month with 7 lines and we use on an average of 3-4 gb a month. I have the 12gb package :) Not for everyone granted but might not hurt to look into what you use on average and ho much you could save.

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Sounds to me like you got a couple rep's in bad moods. Go in and talk to a Verizon rep in store. I know a lot of people wouldn't give up unlimited to save their lives but i did it bout 5 months ago and haven't missed a beat since. I am saving approximately $140 a month with 7 lines and we use on an average of 3-4 gb a month. I have the 12gb package :) Not for everyone granted but might not hurt to look into what you use on average and ho much you could save.

Thank you for your input. Sounds like you saved a lot of money, that's what's interesting as a rep told me a few months ago I would save like $10/month, which is basically just dropping the $10 texting plan I have on one phone, if I went to the shared. So I wouldn't really save anything and be paying the same for less (limited data) It's not that my husband and I use a lot of data, I just don't want to have to worry about it.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

phantomog

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I don't think you'll find many reps who will openly do what is necessary or even discuss how to keep your unlimited data. I'm sure the company line at this point is to get everyone off of unlimited.

You know how to do it. Only use the reps when necessary and don't tell them why you are doing what you are doing. Explicitly tell them each thing you want done and demand they do it. Better yet do most of it yourself.

Transfer the upgrade yourself online. Upgrade and order on the dumb phone line yourself online. Activate the phones yourself. If you run into an issue, call and get help with just the specific issue you need.

phantomog

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I did run into issues but had little problem getting them sorted out by just telling the reps what I needed done and being firm. If you start the conversation with "I need to upgrade and keep unlimited" you'll end up getting the same response you did. Sure some people here have lucked out and found knowledgeable and willing reps, but they are a small minority.

MaxBuck

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I think you just talked to non-knowledgeable reps. You might want to go to a Best Buy to see if they have a sales rep who is both knowledgeable and interested in helping you get this done.

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I don't think you'll find many reps who will openly do what is necessary or even discuss how to keep your unlimited data. I'm sure the company line at this point is to get everyone off of unlimited.

You know how to do it. Only use the reps when necessary and don't tell them why you are doing what you are doing. Explicitly tell them each thing you want done and demand they do it. Better yet do most of it yourself.

Transfer the upgrade yourself online. Upgrade and order on the dumb phone line yourself online. Activate the phones yourself. If you run into an issue, call and get help with just the specific issue you need.

Phantomog, thank you! I did look online a few weeks ago and I didn't find where it allowed me to 'transfer' an upgrade from one line to another....I'd also be afraid that it wouldn't work and I would be committing to something unknown, like changes to my plan. I also saw someone post that if you transfer an Unlimited line to a dumb line you still lose the unlimited.....just not sure what is correct. I sure hope that's not the case.

phantomog

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
From my direct experience that is all I cannot confirm. I have not yet transferred an upgrade but like you have read it's safe.

I used an available upgrade on a dumb phone line to get a Note 2 on my line. That is possible and I did keep unlimited.

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Phantomog, thank you! I did look online a few weeks ago and I didn't find where it allowed me to 'transfer' an upgrade from one line to another....I'd also be afraid that it wouldn't work and I would be committing to something unknown, like changes to my plan. I also saw someone post that if you transfer an Unlimited line to a dumb line you still lose the unlimited.....just not sure what is correct. I sure hope that's not the case.

Whichever line has the upgrade will lose the unlimited. This would work better if your basic line was up for an upgrade so that you could transfer to your smart phone line. That situation would allow you to keep unlimited.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I think you just talked to non-knowledgeable reps. You might want to go to a Best Buy to see if they have a sales rep who is both knowledgeable and interested in helping you get this done.

MaxBuck, thank you. How does that actually work with Best Buy....what does BB gain/Verizon lose.... I mean I know my service stays with vzw,and don't they sell the phone cheaper too?

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Whichever line has the upgrade will lose the unlimited. This would work better if your basic line was up for an upgrade so that you could transfer to your smart phone line. That situation would allow you to keep unlimited.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Yes, this is what I was thinking was going to be the only option, besides adding another line, which I might have to do to get my hubby into a GN2 also. Unfortunately my basic third line doesn't upgrade till August!

AZSALUKI

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry but I honestly don't believe you can do what you want. You can't "transfer" an upgrade and keep unlimited. I don't care what other posters claim. They only way you could do it is if the dumbphone had an upgrade. You would use it to get a note ii on an individual tiered plan (2 gigs $30) and keep your 2 unlimited lines. You would then transfer the note ii to one of the unlimited lines and activate the dumbphone again on it's old line and drop the tiered (2 gig plan). That is the only way you're going to get a subsidized note ii on one of your unlimited lines. Since it's not due until august and you would still have to pay full price for the second note ii I'm afraid you're out of luck. I really do hate to tell you this, but I'm pretty familiar with their plans and how they work and what you can do. I just don't believe there's a way to "transfer the upgrade" and keep unlimited. You can only upgrade other lines and "transfer the phone."

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry but I honestly don't believe you can do what you want. You can't "transfer" an upgrade and keep unlimited. I don't care what other posters claim. They only way you could do it is if the dumbphone had an upgrade. You would use it to get a note ii on an individual tiered plan (2 gigs $30) and keep your 2 unlimited lines. You would then transfer the note ii to one of the unlimited lines and activate the dumbphone again on it's old line and drop the tiered (2 gig plan). That is the only way you're going to get a subsidized note ii on one of your unlimited lines. Since it's not due until august and you would still have to pay full price for the second note ii I'm afraid you're out of luck. I really do hate to tell you this, but I'm pretty familiar with their plans and how they work and what you can do. I just don't believe there's a way to "transfer the upgrade" and keep unlimited. You can only upgrade other lines and "transfer the phone."

AZSALUKI, thank you for laying all that out and that was the intention of previous posts in the thread. I am going to see if/what Best Buy can do, but I think my true options will be these for two phones:

1. Give up data on one line (hubby's, he doesn't use it like I do) , get subsidized GN2 switch it to my line, and wait till August to upgrade dumb phone line to get subsidized GN2 to then transfer to hubby's line. Hopefully VZW doesn't change that option....Aug is a long way off!

2. Add another basic line

Thank all so much for your info and advice! I have wanted the GN2 for so long....since the Note 1 that wasn't available for vzw!

watergates1

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
You're not the only one going through it right now. I'm also trying to figure out if I'll be able to keep my unlimited when I upgrade in 2 weeks. Here's the skinny... I'm on a shared plan with my wife right now. Currently we have 3 lines, with one being a dummy line that was created in Sept. so my wife could grab the S3. Well, now her original upgrade is the one that I'll be taking. (My upgrade isn't until Oct.)

In theory, shouldn't I be able to upgrade that line with the N2, keep unlimited, and just have another dummy line if need be? I really wanna keep my unlimited if I can, especially since this phone is awesome and I know I'm going to use a lot of data. However, I've already mentally prepared myself to spend a little extra dough if I have to spring for a larger data plan.

*sigh* Damn you VZW for making your customers jump through hoops just because we're trying to keep something you already gave us. Freakin' Indian givers.

irocroe

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I had a thunderbolt as well and my upgrade is next month, and I did not want to lose unlimited. I do have unlimited data and text but 700 min of talk time. I purchased outright

sent from my S3

AZSALUKI

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
You're not the only one going through it right now. I'm also trying to figure out if I'll be able to keep my unlimited when I upgrade in 2 weeks. Here's the skinny... I'm on a shared plan with my wife right now. Currently we have 3 lines, with one being a dummy line that was created in Sept. so my wife could grab the S3. Well, now her original upgrade is the one that I'll be taking. (My upgrade isn't until Oct.)

In theory, shouldn't I be able to upgrade that line with the N2, keep unlimited, and just have another dummy line if need be? I really wanna keep my unlimited if I can, especially since this phone is awesome and I know I'm going to use a lot of data. However, I've already mentally prepared myself to spend a little extra dough if I have to spring for a larger data plan.

*sigh* Damn you VZW for making your customers jump through hoops just because we're trying to keep something you already gave us. Freakin' Indian givers.

No. As soon as you upgrade that "line" the unlimited is gone. The dummy line is the only one you'll ever able to use fir upgrades and continue to have unlimited.

nelschroeder

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Data caps are purely for profit as well as covering the enormous fixed costs of building infastructure, not because of any fear of frequency congestion as has been reported in the new. VZW is just the first to go this route. Part of their rationale is that building and maintaining their LTE network is a very high fixed cost. Also new Telecom regs add to that and as we all know all those costs get passed to and paid by the consumer. Also, devices and apps stream much more data then previously. So, data caps allow providers to benefit from that.

Remember that when you go off contract they have the right to direct you into any plan they want. Data caps are the wave of the future....get ready....

Look at T-Mobile, they are already bringing in the philosophy used in practically every other part of the world. No phone subsidies. Get ready for that as well. Better like your phone and take care of it because you're not going to be able to afford the latest and greatest every two years. I predict that new phone sales will drop as people initially either stay with older phones or buy used ones. Eventually phone prices will drop significantly as competition between phone makers kicks in. But that will take a while. Just my thoughts.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
No. As soon as you upgrade that "line" the unlimited is gone. The dummy line is the only one you'll ever able to use fir upgrades and continue to have unlimited.

Yes, I believe AZSALUKI is correct! We just can't upgrade the unlimited lines at all or you lose the unlimited! They will now allow Transfering an upgrade from unlimited line to a dumb line!

I agree that it is miserable that vzw has done this and isn't giving its existing customers Anything for being loyal. My entire extended family has been with them over 11 years!

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I believe AZSALUKI is correct! We just can't upgrade the unlimited lines at all or you lose the unlimited! They will NOT allow Transfering an upgrade from unlimited line to a dumb line!

I agree that it is miserable that vzw has done this and isn't giving its existing customers Anything for being loyal. My entire extended family has been with them over 11 years!

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Data caps are purely for profit as well as covering the enormous fixed costs of building infastructure, not because of any fear of frequency congestion as has been reported in the new. VZW is just the first to go this route. Part of their rationale is that building and maintaining their LTE network is a very high fixed cost. Also new Telecom regs add to that and as we all know all those costs get passed to and paid by the consumer. Also, devices and apps stream much more data then previously. So, data caps allow providers to benefit from that.

Remember that when you go off contract they have the right to direct you into any plan they want. Data caps are the wave of the future....get ready....

Look at T-Mobile, they are already bringing in the philosophy used in practically every other part of the world. No phone subsidies. Get ready for that as well. Better like your phone and take care of it because you're not going to be able to afford the latest and greatest every two years. I predict that new phone sales will drop as people initially either stay with older phones or buy used ones. Eventually phone prices will drop significantly as competition between phone makers kicks in. But that will take a while. Just my thoughts.

I truly believe you are correct as an article was stated here on AC that the head of vzw said he thinks taking away the subsidized phones is a great idea, but I believe it was also stated that they would let the consumer 'pay out' the phone over time of thier contract on thier bill. I'll try to find the link to the article.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance