Any Note 2 users worried about not getting android 5.0?

Are you worried about receiving the next version of Android?

• Total voters

UsedName

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Rooting and flashing for updates for me.....
As for Android 5.0 maybe it might be on my next Galaxy phone like the Note 3 or S IV.;)

roberte1342

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
When I got the Droid X 2.5 years ago it was buggy and updates were higly anticipated. But each update brought new bugs and never got better.
Fast forward to now with the Note 2 it is amazingly stable, fast, and loaded with features.
At this point I'd be content if no further updates arrive in the next two years. I'd be afraid that Verizon would muck with it somehow to degrade performance and reliability to encourage upgrades.

Although I've rooted and debloated I am not seeking any new ROMs yet.
The stock ROM is fantastic as it is so far.

Sent from my SG Note 2 [Tapatalk]

jasongeiger

May 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm already one version ahead of Verizon. Good thing about this phone is it's worldwide. As long as Samsung updates I'll be good on a close to stock custom rom

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

JerseyDubbin

Open Source For Life!
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
When i had my TBolt i was all about flashing new roms to see what I liked best. With this phone I love the stock rom. I am rooted and unlocked just because I could but for now I will leave it stock and maybe tweak it a bit. It's extremely stable and I prefer not to mess with that.

With that said if Samsung doesn't get 5.0 to this phone I probably will flash at that point but that's pretty far down the road

Mobimop

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
As we all know Samsung is not the best at updates, however they have been stepping it up lately. But Verizon on the other hand is the modern day Nero. They don't care about updating their users, and would just rather leave them stuck on an old os. So, are any of you worried about being stuck on jelly bean when android 5.0 is announced? Would you rather go nexus?

I'd only be concerned if I was on Verizon otherwise I look forward to it when it's released.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
With a phone this popular, I'd expect a port within 72 hours of the nexus source being posted... Stable build within 2-3 weeks.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Droid_Evo_8

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm already one version ahead of Verizon. Good thing about this phone is it's worldwide. As long as Samsung updates I'll be good on a close to stock custom rom

And which version are you talking about?

When i had my TBolt i was all about flashing new roms to see what I liked best. With this phone I love the stock rom. I am rooted and unlocked just because I could but for now I will leave it stock and maybe tweak it a bit. It's extremely stable and I prefer not to mess with that.

With that said if Samsung doesn't get 5.0 to this phone I probably will flash at that point but that's pretty far down the road

Since you're already rooted and unlocked, have you tried beanstown's Jelly Beans ROM? That's the BEST stock ROM out there right now and I'm rocking it. AWESOME ROM so far. :D

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I don't think anyone should be in a big hurry to get Android 5.0 when it comes about. Just like every previous version of Android there is always numerous updates, bug fixes, revisions by Google first then the carriers get their hands on things and get to toy with it further. Its a long drawn out process that takes many changes since it first leaves Google's drawing board and when the time is right the official update it ready by the OEM or carrier then so be it. I won't purchase any phone today based on the fact of it getting the next latest and greatest version of Android, we've seen this go both ways in the past.. Good and bad for the consumer who is putting their money down based on this fact alone.

Mobimop

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Haha, I'll pass on that bug ridden version. I'd consider 4.1.2 though which I've kept my Nexus 7 on (besides the bugs in 4.2, I don't see reason enough to update anyway). IMO, newer software is not alway better software. :)

So so true.... :banghead:

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Android Central Forums

JerseyDubbin

Open Source For Life!
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Since you're already rooted and unlocked, have you tried beanstown's Jelly Beans ROM? That's the BEST stock ROM out there right now and I'm rocking it. AWESOME ROM so far. :D
I haven't lol I want to but I just got it setup how I like it so I really don't feel like changing it. I know i eventually will but I"m thinking of enjoying completely stock for another week (or day)...we will see I keep reading good things about that rom too...

jasongeiger

May 2, 2011
Visit site
And which version are you talking about?

Cleanrom is good too if you want a stock look.

BuyOneGetFour

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
does Google's Android division not share some of the blame here? What if they decide to up the specs requirements for Android 5.0, making it impossible from most phones to run 5.0? Even a top-of-the-line phone like our Note 2 will be almost "obsolete" in 12 to 18 months from now. Let's face it, if you bought the Note 2, you're not going to like it that much in a year and half, when the cool 8-core, 1920x1080 5.5-inch SuperAMOLOED+++, ultra-sexy Samsung phones arrive. :D

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
does Google's Android division not share some of the blame here? What if they decide to up the specs requirements for Android 5.0, making it impossible from most phones to run 5.0? (even a top-of-the-line phone like our Note 2 will be almost "obsolete" in 12 to 18 months from now)

Then everyone will need to get new phones or be happy with what they have. But that scenario is highly unlikely. Note 2 already has a quad core with 2 gigs of ram. We are way fat off from our hardware being out of date

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Then everyone will need to get new phones or be happy with what they have. But that scenario is highly unlikely. Note 2 already has a quad core with 2 gigs of ram. We are way fat off from our hardware being out of date

I really believe people need to be happy with what they have and not always trying to look at what they don't. :) I mean the Note 2 as it is works great on Jelly Bean! I'm not gonna look a gift horse in the mouth. :p But, at the same time, I do agree about the Note 2's hardware. No reason it couldn't run a newer version of Android. :) Just be careful what you wish for! :( Sixteen years in the IT field has taught me that newer software is NOT always better. :eek:

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I really believe people need to be happy with what they have and not always trying to look at what they don't. :) I mean the Note 2 as it is works great on Jelly Bean! I'm not gonna look a gift horse in the mouth. :p But, at the same time, I do agree about the Note 2's hardware. No reason it couldn't run a newer version of Android. :) Just be careful what you wish for! :( Sixteen years in the IT field has taught me that newer software is NOT always better. :eek:

I definitely agree with this. For the first time in a long time of using Android phones I am completely satisfied with the software that the phone came with. Granted I am running a customized version of that software, JellyBeans, but it's perfect for me.

Back on my old junky HTC Thunderbolt I was praying for an update, anything, to help make using the phone better. That thing still doesn't have Ice Cream Sandwich and even though HTC swears they'll update it, I am betting they never will. Thankfully though the hardware in this phone (Note 2) is so high end that I don't see it getting ditched by Samsung for awhile.

As another user posted however it is Verizon we have to fear in the update process. They're the ones who purposely hold back updates. I'm just glad I'm not chomping at the bit for a new update on this phone...... yet lol I'm sure once 5.0 comes out and we see the cool new features we'll all be wondering when it'll be our turns to taste some of that Key Lime Pie goodness.But for now, I can patiently wait. Feels good man.