Update question (rooted)

NHBass39

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Why am I getting a ask to update if my phone Is rooted? Second I should not update correct? I'm rooted stock rom. Please help.

normio2

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
Just because you're rooted doesn't mean it won't update if the carrier chooses to push an update out. I received the same message today, tried to update but it failed. Not sure why though, I'm just stock rooted so it should have gone through. I'm trying to find out now why it won't go through.

NHBass39

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Just because you're rooted doesn't mean it won't update if the carrier chooses to push an update out. I received the same message today, tried to update but it failed. Not sure why though, I'm just stock rooted so it should have gone through. I'm trying to find out now why it won't go through.

Found a answer with special thanks to kintwofan over at XDA. Just freeze the sdm 1.0 in Titanium. Problem solved. No more annoying update. Hope this helps.

BlkWolf03

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Im on rooted stock and got the update to go through and kept root by using OTA RootKeeper .. made the backup with rootkeeper, then temp unrooted and updated. Once it updated RootKeeper restored it. I used the ExynosAbuse app to root so I dont know if that makes a diffence over using the Odin method or not

normio2

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
Im on rooted stock and got the update to go through and kept root by using OTA RootKeeper .. made the backup with rootkeeper, then temp unrooted and updated. Once it updated RootKeeper restored it. I used the ExynosAbuse app to root so I dont know if that makes a diffence over using the Odin method or not

hmmmm interesting. I might give that a shot. Anyone know what's in this update anyway?

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
It has been reported that the update re-locks the bootloader, if you unlocked it, you should not accept the update.

...and no, rooting does not prevent OTA updates.

specops2k3

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I did the same thing used ota rootkeeper made a backup then temp unrooted and installed update. However, I keep getting fail when it installs. Anyone have any suggestions other then factory reset?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

normio2

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
At the Verizon web pages on the update, they say it's a security update (don't have the url right now). Presumably it patches the hole in the Exynos kernal code.

i wonder if someone will come out with a way to side load it, or at least update it with those of use who are rooted.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I did the same thing used ota rootkeeper made a backup then temp unrooted and installed update. However, I keep getting fail when it installs. Anyone have any suggestions other then factory reset?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Did you delete any preinstalled software?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Found a answer with special thanks to kintwofan over at XDA. Just freeze the sdm 1.0 in Titanium. Problem solved. No more annoying update. Hope this helps.

You need to freeze FWupdate.apk and keychain.apk aswell.

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I guess since I removed some of the factory apps that's why it's failing, dang it! I really don't want to wipe again lol

That's why it is recommended to rename preinstalled apps or move them to a different location.
A factory reset will not bring back apps you deleted with root.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't accept the update at all until a bigger update is provided and we have ways to root them. If you want your phone patched just use exynos abuse.

If you are completely stock unrooted and plan to stay that way then yeah accept the update

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

Last edited:

normio2

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
That's why it is recommended to rename preinstalled apps or move them to a different location.
A factory reset will not bring back apps you deleted with root.

That's what I did, I have a folder on my sd card that I moved them to. I could move them back and blah blah blah, but just for a security patch it's not worth it in my opinion. I'll just wait for the next major release.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21