Google Wallet

EatMyTracers

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Will we ever get google wallet support? I love the idea and hear that it is great on other phones.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Verizon has their own version of Google Wallet they are pushing, that is why it is disabled. Although the functionality of their version is horrible. I don't know why they made it so Google Wallet isn't supported, we should be able to choose. Verizon's version is called Isis Mobile Wallet.

phantomog

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
hate that VZW blocks Google Wallet, but I'm enjoying the free $25 with Isis :D

Isis is only available in Austin, TX and Salt Lake City, Utah right now.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Verizon get hit with a lawsuit similar to the Wifi tethering thing.

ihatevz1234

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Isis wallet will work Google wallet will never work unless you root. I'm rooted have Google wallet on my phone but I had to unroot to have isis

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
Word of warning to those who think GW is the bee knees.

I had GW working on my ROMd GS3 and had it linked with my Chase Freedom Rewards and AMEX Blue Preferred Cash cards.

I did not get my rewards rebates using the credit cards linked with GW.

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Not true at all have it in nyc all you need to do is call Verizon ask for the nfc sim card that you need and your good to go

Nfc SIM card? That doesn't even make sense. The phone has active Nfc built in that is active. Not to mention there is no such thing as a NFC sim card. The only way around it atm is to root.

Sent from my Note II

ihatevz1234

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Take your fancy phone Google isis-and there is a special sim card that you need has to be given to you from Verizon tmobile Att whoever your provider is. The sim card saves your account numbers to it.

phantomog

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Not doubting you, but when I was setting up Isis on my phone the instructions specifically mentioned getting an nfc sim card. I didn't specifically request that from my vzw store when I got my sim, however, I live in Austin which is one of the pilot cities.

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Ok so tell me how this makes sense. Let's say a NFC sim card exists (which it doesnt), how does that make sense when the phone already has NFC built into it? Why would you need a separate card for NFC? Not to mention simply rooting the phone makes Google Wallet work. I am just trying to grasp why Verizon would invest in a sim card when the phones already has active Nfc.

Sent from my Note II

phantomog

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
support.verizonwireless.com/clc/faqs/Features%20and%20Optional%20Services/isis.html

See the note on question 3.

Note: When ordering an Isis Ready phone online, you may need to visit a Verizon Wireless store in Austin or Salt Lake City to obtain an NFC compatible SIM card.

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Ok so tell me how this makes sense. Let's say a NFC sim card exists (which it doesnt), how does that make sense when the phone already has NFC built into it? Why would you need a separate card for NFC? Not to mention simply rooting the phone makes Google Wallet work. I am just trying to grasp why Verizon would invest in a sim card when the phones already has active Nfc.

Sent from my Note II

NFC SIM cards do exist. Isis uses them.

The primary difference between the built-in NFC of the Nexus versus the NFC-SIM technology used by Isis is that the secure element is located in the NFC-SIM card for Isis-compatible phones.

The secure element is the technology responsible for encryption of the transaction. Google's methodology is to have it built into the phone. Verizon (and the other Isis carrier partners) believe that it is better to have the secure element on the SIM card.

The real reason Verizon wants the technology to be in the SIM is so they (as the carrier and provider of the SIM) can control and derive income from the solution. With Google Wallet, Verizon is locked out of any revenue.

Bottom line is that only Google gets a piece of the action with Google Wallet, so Verizon and its Isis partners decided to come up with their own solution, so they could get some of the NFC mobile transaction revenue.

As always, it's all about money.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae