Really annoyed by a 'feature' of this phone

Opticzar

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I got the Note 2 with dreams in my head of multi-tasking. The multi-window feature on this phone is ridiculously limited to stupid apps. I know it can be modded to include other apps, but I don't want to bother with that. I'd like them to be supported by developers. What a stupid feature that feels like a dead end of development and was attached just 'cause. /rant

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
How is it Verizon's fault that not all apps work with multi view?

Even the international version has a mod to allow all apps, it isn't a default.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
What would Verizon gain by limiting the apps? Seems like it just makes their version of the phone crappier.

They wouldn't gain anything. Many people assumed Verizon blocked apps from multi view because the international version has apps in multi view that the Verizon version doesn't have.
However, some apps were updated to support the feature which to me, proved it has nothing to do with Verizon. Further proof was when it was revealed how to add a few lines of code in an app to make it support multi view.

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
if its nothing to do with verizon, than why does the other carrier note 2 's have facebook and youtube in the multi window app, but not mine? someone somewhere high up prob knows why my moms us celluar note 2 has more apps in the multi window bar than mine does, and i certainly cant drag and drop em over there. im having to have a friend re mod the apps that i have downloaded so i can get them. im glad THAT can be done with out rooting, because i have no intentions to root my phone

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I got the Note 2 with dreams in my head of multi-tasking. The multi-window feature on this phone is ridiculously limited to stupid apps. I know it can be modded to include other apps, but I don't want to bother with that. I'd like them to be supported by developers. What a stupid feature that feels like a dead end of development and was attached just 'cause. /rant

It is just not widely supported yet. Not many phones have this feature, so devs just haven't implemented support for it. Give it time.

- - - Updated - - -

It has to do with Verizon not the devs

Sorry but you can blame Verizon for a lot of things if you want, but this has nothing to do with them.

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
What would Verizon gain by limiting the apps? Seems like it just makes their version of the phone crappier.

Well they do it. Google Wallet for example. But usually it is so they can push their own like Isis Wallet. But Multi-View isn't limited. Well it is, but only because it is a new feature.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
if its nothing to do with verizon, than why does the other carrier note 2 's have facebook and youtube in the multi window app, but not mine? someone somewhere high up prob knows why my moms us celluar note 2 has more apps in the multi window bar than mine does, and i certainly cant drag and drop em over there. im having to have a friend re mod the apps that i have downloaded so i can get them. im glad THAT can be done with out rooting, because i have no intentions to root my phone

If Verizon is blocking it then the modded apps wouldn't work. The mod is just 5 or 6 lines of code.
If the devs implemented the same lines of code into their apps it would work.
Samsung already stated that an update is needed for the Verizon version to add YouTube, Gmail, etc.

dominick_7

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
No need to be annoyed, OR rooted, just mod the apk/installer for the apps you want to work in Multiview. I have Facebook Messenger, eBay, Talkbox, Chrome, ESFileExplorer, Instagram, Google Translate, Wordfeud in there so far.

Just follow the steps in this video:

How to edit Android APK files to on Multi View on the Galaxy Note 2 - YouTube

The prior thing you'll need is to get ESFile Explorer or Appsaver to back up your apks from the apps you want to work in Multiview.

1quick1

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
This is my biggest and really only disappointment. Granted it's my fault for not reading the full list of Nazi hacks Verizon performed as it's mentioned in the Engadget review but I was REALLY looking forward to using Google Maps and multitasking. Update?

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
This is my biggest and really only disappointment. Granted it's my fault for not reading the full list of Nazi hacks Verizon performed as it's mentioned in the Engadget review but I was REALLY looking forward to using Google Maps and multitasking. Update?

I agree with all this except that it should NOT be your fault. The phone is called the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on ALL carriers. You should expect the same features across the board. Verizon is the only !@#$ing carrier that absolutely guts the hell out of it, and people will say Verizon's not at fault. Unbelievable.

How could anyone defend one of the most greedy corporations in America that will nickle and dime you into the ground, all the while stripping your devices of their native features? It blows my mind.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I agree with all this except that it should NOT be your fault. The phone is called the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on ALL carriers. You should expect the same features across the board. Verizon is the only !@#$ing carrier that absolutely guts the hell out of it, and people will say Verizon's not at fault. Unbelievable.

How could anyone defend one of the most greedy corporations in America that will nickle and dime you into the ground, all the while stripping your devices of their native features? It blows my mind.

Show me one other carrier, including international, that has all apps in multi view without the mod.

If I'm not mistaken, AT&T and T-mobile, didn't have multi view at all when it was released.

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
ok, so since im not savvy enough to do all the mod stuff i had a friend of mine who is do the mod work. he got me face book and a couple local news channel apps. one thing we found out, is since youtube was preinstalled i couldnt delete it to install the new mod version, so i dont have that, and a local weather radar app changed everything just fine but since its radar uses google maps and it was preinstalled and cant change it, the radar screen is blank.. its not a big deal since i wont use multi window a lot, but he was having fun figuring stuff out for me lol.
also keep in mind any mod'ed apps will not recieve updates, so thats a draw back.. you will have to uninstall the mod version and change it again once its updated.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Show me one other carrier, including international, that has all apps in multi view without the mod.

Specifically saying that multi-window mode is the only thing Verizon interfered with is ignorance at it's finest.

You forgot to mention: Verizon branded home button, missing Blocking Mode, forced on-going WiFi notification, missing lock screen bubbles, etc

What about those? ^

Yeah. Stop defending them. They are the only carrier to pretty much deviate from the original design that the OEM's had for the device. Let's not forget they didn't even HAVE the Note 1 on their network. Why suddenly now are they bringing all these Samsung devices onboard? Because they freaking sell like hot cakes and Verizon is in it to make money. This wouldn't be a problem if they didn't also stick their hand into places it doesn't belong (messing with our phones.)

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Specifically saying that multi-window mode is the only thing Verizon interfered with is ignorance at it's finest.

You forgot to mention: Verizon branded home button, missing Blocking Mode, forced on-going WiFi notification, missing lock screen bubbles, etc

What about those? ^

Yeah. Stop defending them. They are the only carrier to pretty much deviate from the original design that the OEM's had for the device. Let's not forget they didn't even HAVE the Note 1 on their network. Why suddenly now are they bringing all these Samsung devices onboard? Because they freaking sell like hot cakes and Verizon is in it to make money. This wouldn't be a problem if they didn't also stick their hand into places it doesn't belong (messing with our phones.)

Now you want to be childish and hurl insults?
Since you brought ignorance into it, it seems to me that going into a rant about this, that and whether or not Santa is real, is what's ignorant, when the topic from the OP is multi view.

No one is defending Verizon, I'm merely stating that the lack of all apps in multi view has nothing to do with them. That isn't defending Verizon, it's a fact.

Last edited:

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Now you want to be childish and hurl insults?
Since you brought ignorance into it, it seems to me that going into a rant about this, that and whether or not Santa is real, is what's ignorant, when the topic from the OP is multi view.

No one is defending Verizon, I'm merely stating that the lack of all apps in multi view has nothing to do with them. That isn't defending Verizon, it's a fact.

It has everything to do with Verizon, but ok let's stay on the topic of multiwindow mode.

Who are we comparing here? Carriers? Let's see. Verizon was the absolute LAST one to get this device out the gates. They had an extra month and a half to tune it up and make it super sweet. Sure they got a half baked multiwindow mode in, but less than a month later pretty much every other carrier got their 4.1.2 update which included the full fledged multiwindow, not missing any of the official apps.

Where's Verizon's update? They refuse to update yet because it isn't worth it. But oh wait they'll push out an update to lock the bootloader, that's nice.

And about that extra month and a half they had before releasing the phone. What did they do in that time to improve our experiences? Well, they figured out how to slap their logos everywhere physically possible on the device, they installed tons of bloatware that is not actually removable without rooting your phone (a process they tried to lock down again in their first pathetic OTA), they stripped a device feature Blocking Mode, they decided we're not cool enough to have a WiFi toggle in our bar and while we're at it let's force an ugly as hell ongoing notification that cannot be removed once again without rooting. Did I miss anything. Hmm... oh right! Wireless charging. Let's block off the plastic ports to that and remove the ability. Because that makes sense, who wants extra features on a product they sell?

Seriously. Why are you even arguing with me about this. Given the amount of time Verizon had to hold this device back they SHOULD have released it with 4.1.2 and the fully functioning Multi Window mode. Instead they spent almost all of that time detracting from the phones original features and look. Why. Do. You. Approve.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Ok dude, you're obviously too amped up to stick to the actual topic, so I'll end with this.

No one forced you to choose Verizon as your carrier and no one forced you to purchase this device using Verizon's network. As you mentioned, Verizon was the last carrier to get the Note 2, so you didn't have to wait for Verizon to sell it.
You also had at least a 14 day window to return it, and since you're so unhappy, it seems to me that you should have returned it, or not purchased it at all.

I know if I was as unhappy as you are, there is no way in hell I would have held on past the 14 day return period, nor would I stick with a company that is making me so miserable.
I would rather spend my money with a company that does business in the way that I can appreciate, instead of giving my money to a company that sucks so badly, but hey, that's just me,.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Ok dude, you're obviously too amped up to stick to the actual topic, so I'll end with this.

No one forced you to choose Verizon as your carrier and no one forced you to purchase this device using Verizon's network. As you mentioned, Verizon was the last carrier to get the Note 2, so you didn't have to wait for Verizon to sell it.
You also had at least a 14 day window to return it, and since you're so unhappy, it seems to me that you should have returned it, or not purchased it at all.

I know if I was as unhappy as you are, there is no way in hell I would have held on past the 14 day return period, nor would I stick with a company that is making me so miserable.
I would rather spend my money with a company that does business in the way that I can appreciate, instead of giving my money to a company that sucks so badly, but hey, that's just me,.

If it weren't for two things I would do just that.

1. Unlimited data - the day they take this from me is the day I walk away from Big Red
2. I have no issues with rooting and unlocking my device to make it perform the way I want it to

My problem is that for those who do not want to root and mod their device, people like the OP (see - on topic) is that it's bogus for Verizon to screw with their device. There's no reason for it. The excuse that "there's plenty of other carriers, go switch to them" is absurd given that Verizon is the reason we are even having this discussion right now. Why should the customer change? Customer should always be right, not the other way around. The only reason they get away with it is because they know they can. They provide the best service in the United States so they run train like some kind of dictator ruling over the OEM's.

But whatever. Hopefully one day they do strip Unlimited Data from all of us so I can then feel content with knowing I don't have to pay these bastards another nickle or dime.