GS3 vs note 2

ncmailman

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Hello everybody, check this out, I had my gs3 for about 6 months and loved it. I was excited that I could be in a call and still surf the web in 3g, 4g, or wifi. Only drawback on the S3 was I could not take a pic while in a call. Then along comes the note 2 and I couldn't wait to get one, I was upgrading to the big screen, power house it even took pics while in a call, I was in heaven...til I found out I could not be in a call and on the web in 3g. I was so disappointed that I had techs from Verizon and Samsung on 3-way. All they could tell me was that the s3, Possibly has a better antenna, than the note2. For some reason I don't want to accept that answer. Has anyone else had this issue, if so please share your experience!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
The Note 2 lacks support for SVDO (simultaneous voice and data over CDMA/3G) because it doesn?t have the extra radio setup for it. The only phones on Verizon with such a setup are the Thunderbolt, Rezound and Galaxy S3. AnandTech has a good write up on this radio setup in their Thunderbolt review here: AnandTech - HTC Thunderbolt Review: The First Verizon 4G LTE Smartphone

The reason most newer phones, including the Note 2, don't have the extra radio setup is primarily because it's becoming less and less relevant the more Verizon rolls out LTE, which uses SVLTE (simultaneous voice and LTE) which the Note 2 does support. Also with the extra radio setup, there is probably a bit of extra hardware cost and a slight hit to battery drain (to power the extra radio). There is also the complexity of managing multiple radios so they don't exceed FCC SAR requirements. Again, see the AnandTech article. :)

ncmailman

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Wow thanks for your help, I'm amazed that the techs from Verizon and Samsung both had that " deer in the headlight" look when i explained my dilemma, but it does make sense with the two radios. Again thanks for your expertise!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Wow, this is interesting to know that my 2 two year old Thunderbolt (current phone) can do this and that the Note 2 that I am hopefully getting soon, cannot.

Sent from my Thunderbolt. Hoping to be a Galaxy Note ll owner Soon!