Green Light while charging, but when unplugged, only at 80?

SpikeJones

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
When I woke up this morning, my phone said charged, at had the green light on. When I unplugged it, I saw that the percentage was at around 80.

Ever since I got this phone I've been having charging/battery related issues. I thought that it was the chargers problem, and maybe it still is, but now I'm getting worried that it's the battery as well. My battery health claims to be good, but how can I really know?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

SpikeJones

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
In the beginning, they weren't really huge issues

I've had it for about a month and a half? My main problems are that with my charger that came in the box, charging is either a hit or a miss. Either it will charge perfectly, or it will take hours upon hours to charge. Sometimes in 9 hours, it will only charge 15 percent. I tried a friend's note II charger, and it worked perfectly, every time, so I thought that my charger would be the problem.
The thing is, I obviously want to get a new charger, but I don't want to spend $40 either. I've bought a few cheapish ones, but they don't charge my phone at all.

As for battery life, when my phone is unplugged from 100%, it's good. Like, I am satisfied by it? I don't really know what is "good," and what's "bad." I can use it a lot and get through about 17 hours down to around 50%

nlitenme

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Small issues can become big. It may be the charger since your friend's worked fine, but other chargers should work too. I've used/tried many different ones from an old 700mah Blackberry to an old HTC to a USB cord to my laptop to (2) generic car adapters to my wife's S3 chargers & they all worked (they're all just slower that the one that came with it). So since others won't charge at all, it could be the phone too. 17 hours & 50% sounds good, so I wouldn't suspect the battery.

You could go back to where you got it, explain the situation to them & ask them to replace the charger first to see if that's the problem. This would be the easiest route to start with.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Eh here's what happens.

When you charge your phone, it starts to slow down the current being sent to the battery from the charger as the battery approaches the designated voltage(capacity.) Once you hit 100% and the light kicks over to green, it pretty much turns off the charger. Now if you have some serious wake lock issues and your phone isn't going into deep sleep, it's possible that your phone was draining heavily even while it was on the charger, because it stopped charging once it hit 100%. Shouldn't happen, but maybe it did. Also wouldn't help if the phone was registering the charger as USB. It's happened to me and my brother's Note 2 using the stock charger that came with the phone.

Droid_Evo_8

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Try this before you go sleep at night: Charge the phone while powered off, not just screen off then turn it on the next day whenever you wake up. If it still doesn't charge 100%, you probably have any combination of the three issues: It's either the phone, battery, charger or a defective charging port. (BTW, I always turn off my phone when I charge it at night and it always get charged 100% when I wake up. I have both the stock 3100mah battery and three 3500mah batteries. :D)

SpikeJones

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
Well it has charged to 100% before, this is really a first or second time happening. But the fact that my charger, and not my my friend's charger either chargers my phone very slowly or not at all half the time, and successfully the other time, leads me to believe its my charger. I may get a new charger listed above, and will report back.

SpikeJones

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
I am actually beginning to get worried about the battery itself.
I charged it last night, and it was green, and when I unplugged it, everything was fine. It showed 100%.

I just put my phone in my pocket, left it there for 2 hours with wi-fi on, gps on, mobile data on (but the phone was connected to wi-fi), mute, and a live wallpaper. After those two hours, with me basically not touching my phone at all, it had gone down 6 percent. Now, almost four hours later, it has dropped to 87%. Again, not really doing anything. (I did play a game for 10 minutes, but that's all.) I looked at my battery info, and saw this

I am getting really paranoid about using my phone, and I hate feeling this way. I shouldn't have to not like using my phone out of fear of my battery dropping. At this time I am not sure whether it's the charging cord, the thing that plugs into the wall (sorry, I don't know the exact terminology), the charging port, or the battery itself.

I got my phone more than a month ago at best buy, and did not get insurance. What should I do?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-01-30-10-58-23.png
    Screenshot_2013-01-30-10-58-23.png
    165.3 KB · Views: 12

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I agree. It needs to be looked at. Take your charger and your phone. You have a 1 yr mfg warranty and even better if you have ins

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note2

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Sorry didn't see you don't have ins. Whatever carrier you are with take it to them. I don't know if amazon has tech support. I won't buy a phone from Amazon. If there are issues I want immediate tech support.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note2

nlitenme

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I charged it last night, and it was green, and when I unplugged it, everything was fine. It showed 100%.

I just put my phone in my pocket, left it there for 2 hours with wi-fi on, gps on, mobile data on (but the phone was connected to wi-fi), mute, and a live wallpaper. After those two hours, with me basically not touching my phone at all, it had gone down 6 percent. Now, almost four hours later, it has dropped to 87%. Again, not really doing anything. (I did play a game for 10 minutes, but that's all.) I looked at my battery info, and saw this

I am getting really paranoid about using my phone, and I hate feeling this way. I shouldn't have to not like using my phone out of fear of my battery dropping. At this time I am not sure whether it's the charging cord, the thing that plugs into the wall (sorry, I don't know the exact terminology), the charging port, or the battery itself.

I got my phone more than a month ago at best buy, and did not get insurance. What should I do?

You need to stop worrying & just take the phone in to Best Buy. You're just extending the problem (& your agony) by waiting.

Insurance has nothing to do with the situation if you did not cause the problem. The warranty is for manufacturer's defects. Normally the store has nothing to do with the warranty, but Best Buy states this:

Best Buy Customer Promise

The latest devices and services?all in one place
Knowledgeable, impartial advice
Competitive prices
The ability to shop when and where you want
To support you for the life of your products

Hold them to that! Have them earn their money by helping you figure it out & helping you towards a reasonable solution.

Droid_Evo_8

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

Try removing your live wallpaper to just a picture wallpaper instead. I heard that live wallpapers suck batteries life.

SpikeJones

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
So I talked with a Best Buy Mobile representative for about half an hour. I explained to them my situation, and tried to hold them to their customer promise. However, because my 30 day period had run out, they said the only thing I can do is pay $80, take it to geek squad, and send it off. This really is not something I want to do.

I really don't want to wait any longer to do anything like you said, but I really just want to know what part of my phone (or charger) is faulty. If I could do that, then I would just try and get a replacement part, rather than pay that $80 fee.

Thank you for all your help!

digitalbot

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
same here with my htc one,
after it will reach 100% and dont use it for 30 minutes with nothing at all running (and i mean nothing. push etc.) ill be down to 95%

to really get great battery, this is what you must do every time you charge it
charge it to 100% unplug it
turn phone off, charge for 10min unplug it
turn phone on and charge awhile again

if i do like this. i get more than an hour per 10% of on screen time, (surfing web, viber... anything

if i wer to just charge till green light i get 32 minutes per hour on-screen time

ohyeah plus the 14hours usage vs the 18 that i am now getting

go figure....

my bad resurrecting

Jay Sacks

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Not sure its necessary to turn off at night to charge. I use my phone as a clock at night and have the screen on 100%. Always completely charges just fine with the stock charger.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using AC Forums mobile app

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cyari6908