Ex Blackberry user needs serious help!

dominick_7

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
Think the only two ways I'm thinking that this can be resolved is if you know someone who also came from Blackberry with your particular needs that you can trust OR trying out a few apps to see which you like better. Seeing how Blackberry has been going, and may just be done (though I'm hoping not because I like that there is competition and variety, also thought the Playbook was cool) the apps via the Play store may turn out to be even better than you were used to on a Blackberry device. I'm guessing they likely will be better, but it will take just a little to get used to it.

netwerks1

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
He wants it all done for him. Wonder how he learned when he was a child? Half the fun is exploring on your own. I help my friends when needed. And I always showed the basics to my customers. .

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note2

Really now, if you can't add something constructive, why take the time to post period? You obviously have much more "idle" time than I.

netwerks1

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Think the only two ways I'm thinking that this can be resolved is if you know someone who also came from Blackberry with your particular needs that you can trust OR trying out a few apps to see which you like better. Seeing how Blackberry has been going, and may just be done (though I'm hoping not because I like that there is competition and variety, also thought the Playbook was cool) the apps via the Play store may turn out to be even better than you were used to on a Blackberry device. I'm guessing they likely will be better, but it will take just a little to get used to it.

I'm committed to my note 2 for now. There are too many things I like about it and I'm slowly getting it to do what I need it to do. Is it going to do it as well as BB did in the past, probably not. On the other hand it is going to do many more things than a BB can do. Also some of the things that were the strong points of BB in the past do not seem to be in it's future for now. I do hope BB survives as well, I just have little confidence it will. I was hoping some EX BB'ers would have some tips on here and some have, all constructive posts are much appreciated. I guess I was just expecting too much. I've been hearing for years from ppl how BB sucks and that androids and iphones are the greatest, so my expectations were pretty high. Finding out that these so called gifts from the geek gods where pretty lame when it came to basic tools such as email/calendar/conference/messaging calling, I was pretty disappointed. If I was 25 years younger, had more time and was in to all this like I was years ago, I'd do some serious developing and make a whole suite of these basic apps to work like BB has. Actually I'm kind of shocked that no one has, I'd pay serious money for a suite of apps that would handle my tasks like a BB and I'm sure others would as well. The note 2 seems like some serious business like hardware and it would be nice if the software was too (meaning out of the box). The Play Store has a ton of apps, I've pretty much gotten all I need for now (for toy/entertainment apps) and they work great. It's nice to finally have a device that can do these things that I have been waiting years for a BB to do (which they still can't, even the new ones). I just don't like the lack of sorting options in the Play Store, it's really bad. Google which is the king of search engines and collecting user data could and should of done a much better job with it. Hopefully in the future they will. For now, I'm making due, still haven't found the perfect apps for what I need business tool wise but I can manage with what I have found so far. Right now the audio quality, screen size (nice for my old eyes) and the S Pen are serious deal makers for me, I'm addicted. Sad thing is, all these cool fun "toy" apps I installed this past weekend, I haven't had a minute to use and considering my life, probably wont actually have the time to use them much, time will tell. BTW my toy apps are Slingbox, Hulu and Netflx, not much huh. I don't do games or all that social media lemming crap nor will I. I have too little free time and too much fun living life to waste my time senselessly spewing about it. Anyhow I still am searching for better email, calender, sms paging/messaging and conference calling apps, A suite of them would be excellent! The native calendar isn't all that bad, I can live with it for now. I've found a conf calling app that is doing it's job somewhat (at least its not starting to talk to me and the whole conf call I'm in about my next call). Trying out a new messaging app, will have to see how it handles pages from non contact list numbers. As stated before, all good app suggestions are very much appreciated, so please keep them coming.
Thanks in advance.

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Please keep the discussion civil. If you aren't interested in answering the questions posed in this thread, feel free to move on. If you believe a post is inappropriate, we ask that you hit the report button rather than posting about it in the thread. Thanks.

Sent from my SGSIII

note2

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Ex long time multiple BB model user here. BB does do some things well, no doubt. Every OS has it's strengths and weaknesses. I switched from BB to a Note 2 on Dec 6 2012.
The calendar is different, the email clients are different, it's all different. Not better, or worse, just different. I can already do way more with this device after exactly two months than I could do with any BB after years, and years. I don't spend hours and days trying to figure out how to make my BB do something only to find out that it can't, never could. With this phone I do some research and find the right application and then I accomplish my task, simple. I don't wait anymore, with BB I waited for the next device, the next OS the next...
I now have a device that I can print anything from. My work network includes my phone now, I sync from and to my work PC at will. I use the S-Pen daily and I can't imagine owning a device without this capability. I crop and send images, web content, text or whatever. This device just works, this device and OS is about "Productivity" and conducting business. I am a middle aged business person and I'm never without my phone. I use it for business communications all day long, seven days a week. It may be a great toy, I'm sure it is. I know it's a great business tool because that's what I use it for.
If you're a business person then you are familiar with the concept of investing back into your business. That is what is required when you adopt a new technology, any technology. Invest the time and the tool will provide you with a return on your investment, this only applies if you've chosen the appropriate technology. There is no shame in reverting if you've made a wrong decision. Better to cut your losses and get back to work with a more familiar set of tools. You can always re-visit the subject of change when the circumstances are more favourable for you. We chose to make the switch from BB during a slightly quieter time of the year for us when we wouldn't be too inconvenienced while we are on the learning curve. I'm not sure if the technology companies truly appreciate the effort and expenditure involved when a customer adopts a new technology. The correct choice of technology is even more important to a small business as time is usually very limited and very precious, efficiency is necessary or you will fail. We decided that Blackberry was the least realistic in this area. They seem to have, almost, gotten away with running their business as though they had a devine right to the market share they once enjoyed. It appears as though the world didn't agree and many of us have moved on to new communication partners and new ways of accomplishing our tasks. I believe we have made the right choice, we are much more productive and confident in our mobile technology and are investing, quite heavily, in our new partnership. We feel much better spending our hard earned dollars on a dynamic, evolving and market sensitive OS and an abundance of products and applications to choose from. The switch was actually much less painful than we had anticipated and we wish we had done this much earlier, we wasted a lot of time waiting on BB. We are confident that we will easily recoup that time and move ahead now.
We live, or die, on timely and efficient communication just like all businesses do.
Now, the toy subject just briefly. I have never watched a movie on a BB, rarely used a web browser on a BB. This Note 2 is a splendid device when it comes to video or web browsing. I actually watch Netflix content when I have free time, catching up on Rockford Files, love that show. It's great to be able to enjoy video or the youtube when you're waiting for a client to arrive or you're stuck in a traffic jam. What a great device. Maybe the old saying is true, once you leave Blackberry you never go back... wait a minute, that doesn't sound quite right...

JoshNay

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
If you have multiple Gmail or outlook accounts, you can use the official Gmail and Outlook apps...that's what I use for both business and personal for the time being while I'm transitioning to WP8.

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Ex long time multiple BB model user here. BB does do some things well, no doubt. Every OS has it's strengths and weaknesses. I switched from BB to a Note 2 on Dec 6 2012.
The calendar is different, the email clients are different, it's all different. Not better, or worse, just different. I can already do way more with this device after exactly two months than I could do with any BB after years, and years. I don't spend hours and days trying to figure out how to make my BB do something only to find out that it can't, never could. With this phone I do some research and find the right application and then I accomplish my task, simple. I don't wait anymore, with BB I waited for the next device, the next OS the next...
I now have a device that I can print anything from. My work network includes my phone now, I sync from and to my work PC at will. I use the S-Pen daily and I can't imagine owning a device without this capability. I crop and send images, web content, text or whatever. This device just works, this device and OS is about "Productivity" and conducting business. I am a middle aged business person and I'm never without my phone. I use it for business communications all day long, seven days a week. It may be a great toy, I'm sure it is. I know it's a great business tool because that's what I use it for.
If you're a business person then you are familiar with the concept of investing back into your business. That is what is required when you adopt a new technology, any technology. Invest the time and the tool will provide you with a return on your investment, this only applies if you've chosen the appropriate technology. There is no shame in reverting if you've made a wrong decision. Better to cut your losses and get back to work with a more familiar set of tools. You can always re-visit the subject of change when the circumstances are more favourable for you. We chose to make the switch from BB during a slightly quieter time of the year for us when we wouldn't be too inconvenienced while we are on the learning curve. I'm not sure if the technology companies truly appreciate the effort and expenditure involved when a customer adopts a new technology. The correct choice of technology is even more important to a small business as time is usually very limited and very precious, efficiency is necessary or you will fail. We decided that Blackberry was the least realistic in this area. They seem to have, almost, gotten away with running their business as though they had a devine right to the market share they once enjoyed. It appears as though the world didn't agree and many of us have moved on to new communication partners and new ways of accomplishing our tasks. I believe we have made the right choice, we are much more productive and confident in our mobile technology and are investing, quite heavily, in our new partnership. We feel much better spending our hard earned dollars on a dynamic, evolving and market sensitive OS and an abundance of products and applications to choose from. The switch was actually much less painful than we had anticipated and we wish we had done this much earlier, we wasted a lot of time waiting on BB. We are confident that we will easily recoup that time and move ahead now.
We live, or die, on timely and efficient communication just like all businesses do.
Now, the toy subject just briefly. I have never watched a movie on a BB, rarely used a web browser on a BB. This Note 2 is a splendid device when it comes to video or web browsing. I actually watch Netflix content when I have free time, catching up on Rockford Files, love that show. It's great to be able to enjoy video or the youtube when you're waiting for a client to arrive or you're stuck in a traffic jam. What a great device. Maybe the old saying is true, once you leave Blackberry you never go back... wait a minute, that doesn't sound quite right...

Very well stated! I agree. I used Blackberry for many years and many different models and they too had thier strength and weaknesses. I could never perform the tasks I do on Android, as I too, truly depend on my device for Business as well! I am in the Real Estate field. As I type this message today, I am currently using an HTC Thunderbolt which hopefully will turn into a Note 2 today or tomorrow! I can't wait to use this incredible device! As far as the 'toy' factor; every individuals needs and use of a device are different! Yes I rely on my phone for business, but have my share of fun as well. Looking forward to being a GN2 owner!

Sent from my Thunderbolt. Hoping to be a Galaxy Note ll owner Soon!

crystinonfire

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Former diehard blackberry user here. If you're thinking you can get an android to do what a BB can, you can't. Nothing beats the way blackberry sets up email and its calendar sync. I tried to switch to android in 2010 and ended up returning the phone after 24 hours because I couldn't get it to do what I wanted. (and I had extensively researched apps,etc. before buying it). Fast forward to 2013 & when I tried to switch this time, I'm sticking with it.

Anyway, to answer your questions: for email, you should just use the built in email app (not the gmail one, the other one). You can have a combined inbox view and keep all of your stuff together. It's not going to be push (like a BB would have), so prepare yourself for a battery drain.

As far as the calendar goes, I would suggest succumbing to google and the reality that androids are built around it. Google calendar, google tasks, google drive....these are awesome things that make the Note 2 even more functional. I get that you don't want google up in your business. But it's the same as Blackberry service being up in your business. I worked in the security and policy enforcement department of a major social network and basically technology means everyone has the capability to know everything you're doing. If people don't like it, they should use landlines (which can be tapped) and snail mail (which can be opened). Have all of your google calendar settings set to private & there really shouldn't be a problem....unless you work for a covert government ops team and lives depend on the security of your mobile device.

But, honestly, if what you're looking for is a list of apps that will make your android functionally similar to a blackberry, you're not going to find them.

crystinonfire

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Anyhow I still am searching for better email, calender, sms paging/messaging and conference calling apps, A suite of them would be excellent! The native calendar isn't all that bad, I can live with it for now. I've found a conf calling app that is doing it's job somewhat (at least its not starting to talk to me and the whole conf call I'm in about my next call). Trying out a new messaging app, will have to see how it handles pages from non contact list numbers. As stated before, all good app suggestions are very much appreciated, so please keep them coming.

What are you looking for in terms of a messaging app, and what exactly do you mean by "pages" ?

netwerks1

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the tips folks. I'm using that other built in email client now so I do have the combined view back. Can I manage it all as slick as I could with my old BB's, nope but its not the end of the world and I'm sure better apps will be released in time. The stock calender isn't too bad, again not as great as BB's but good enough for now. For my conferencing calling I'm using Plantronics InstantMeeting. Very plain jane but seems to be getting the job done. SMS messaging I'm using Handcent SMS, haven't had much time to play with it but we'll see how it does over time. Again non of these really come close to what a Blackberry can do....but then honestly, a BB can't come close to doing all the other things this Note 2 can do. It's a bit of a trade off and so far I think the Note 2 is a better way to go than a old or even the new BB. I truely do believe that better "tools" will come down the road with Android OS, it has a future. where I just don't believe BB does, at least not under it's current management. The Note 2's hardware is really good, the voice and speakerphone quality is the best I've ever heard. I just can't say enough good things about this S Pen. It's so dang handy when on conf calls and other times, I can't believe how useful it is and how much I am using it. Battery life is really great, I was on calls for over 5 hours today and came home with 48% battery, to me, that's amazing. I never complained about battery life with my BB either, it did as good as any other cell when I first switched to BB. I always bought a slew of extra batteries, so when one drains I'd just put in a fresh one and throw the other one on the charger. I bought two extra batteries when I bought my Note 2, but almost I feel a bit foolish doing so now since I've yet to drain one to 20% after a day of use. I've found all my familiar and favorite BB alert/alarm tones and installed them, so now my Note is talking a lang I understand;) So ya, over all I'm pretty happy with my new phone, it's strengths are out weighing its weaknesses and I think its only going to get better with time.

I'd also like to take a moment to apologize if I came off like a jerk in any of these my posts in this thread. I was very angry and disappointed last week with the horrible launch and more disappointing delays in getting the product in my hands. I like BB, it has been a very good reliable tool for me for many years, one that you want to reward with loyalty. I was very upset and had just reached my limit of being lied to by BB's CEO. I didn't want to leave BB but I'm just tired of the same old BS from the company. I'm tired of BB bringing a pea shooter to a gun fight hardware wise and the mentality of striving to be #3 instead of #1 sickens me. The so called launch pushed me over the edge, I think I really bought the Note 2 more out of anger and disappointment at BB than really wanting the Note. I really didn't know beans about what I was buying, I just heard it was the biggest baddest Android had and walked in the store and bought it. Btw, I paid full retail for it too, why, well I have a unlimited data plan and I was affraid that I might have to pay a arm and a leg for my data use under the new "shared" plans. At the rate I'm chewing up data, I'm glad I did;) I stopped by the crackberry page before I got here today and saw that the Skype Thorsten promised would be there, isn't really there yet, heck it hasn't even been released yet and when it does come, it is coming as a android port. I have to laugh at that. Thorsten has been promising for months about having all the major apps by the time the new BBs where going to be released and even said at the launch it would have Skype, but once again it was a false and misleading statement. When I read all that today, it make me so happy that I made the switch, no more being lied to, no more waiting months and YEARS for apps, upgrades and new hardware. I felt such a sense of relief I'm not part of that culture anymore and I actually felt sorry for those who are. I do wish BB all the success in the world and if their new OS matures and the company gets some new REAL leadership, I might take a look at them again down the road. For now tho, I'm going to stick with the Note 2 and android. If there are any app dev's out there, please either contact me or pick up a BB OS7 device and take a look at how it handles email, calender, conf calling, messaging, it really is the best at all those, then make a suite of apps that work just as well if not better and let me know when you do. I'll gladly pay in the hundreds for a suite of them. Anyhow that's about it for now, thanks for all the help and suggestions so far, please keep them coming and once again, I sincerely apologize if I came off wrong...I was mad....I'm sure some of you Ex BB'ers can relate;)

netwerks1

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
What are you looking for in terms of a messaging app, and what exactly do you mean by "pages" ?

I don't do very much personal messaging, make 10 a month at best. I don't do a lot business wise either but the business ones are all very important to me. About half come from co-workers on my contact lists. The others come from various numbers and corporate paging sites, some of the pages come in with a unknown number or a different number every time so I can't create a contact to customize. With my old BB I could make custom alerts for ppl on my contact list who had to be able to get through to me even if my sound profile was on sleep. I also had a app on my BB called smart alerts that I could build filters with that would go off on certain phrases. So what I need is some kind of a replacement that I can make custom alerts for ppl on my contact list and make filters/alerts for certain phrases in a text msg. It was suggested to me to try Handcent, which I'm using now. I believe I can make custom alerts for the ppl on my contact list but I'm not sure yet if I can make alerts by filters. Haven't had the time to play with it much yet. If it can't then my search continues and I'll drop a line to Handcent as a suggestion to enhancing their app. If you know of anything on the market now that can do it, please let me know. I went to smartalerts website but apparently they only build apps for BB's, go figure??? Thanks in advance for any directions or suggestions.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't do very much personal messaging, make 10 a month at best. I don't do a lot business wise either but the business ones are all very important to me. About half come from co-workers on my contact lists. The others come from various numbers and corporate paging sites, some of the pages come in with a unknown number or a different number every time so I can't create a contact to customize. With my old BB I could make custom alerts for ppl on my contact list who had to be able to get through to me even if my sound profile was on sleep. I also had a app on my BB called smart alerts that I could build filters with that would go off on certain phrases. So what I need is some kind of a replacement that I can make custom alerts for ppl on my contact list and make filters/alerts for certain phrases in a text msg. It was suggested to me to try Handcent, which I'm using now. I believe I can make custom alerts for the ppl on my contact list but I'm not sure yet if I can make alerts by filters. Haven't had the time to play with it much yet. If it can't then my search continues and I'll drop a line to Handcent as a suggestion to enhancing their app. If you know of anything on the market now that can do it, please let me know. I went to smartalerts website but apparently they only build apps for BB's, go figure??? Thanks in advance for any directions or suggestions.

I'm assuming by pages you mean the ones you get from a pager then I just did a quick search and saw that there's quite a few pager apps on the Play Store. Maybe give those a try?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

crystinonfire

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
If there are any app dev's out there, please either contact me or pick up a BB OS7 device and take a look at how it handles email, calender, conf calling, messaging, it really is the best at all those, then make a suite of apps that work just as well if not better and let me know when you do. I'll gladly pay in the hundreds for a suite of them.

It's not really about developing an app or suite of apps. It's about the whole push vs. pull thing. As well as blackberry service being built by, well, blackberry. That's how it was integrated into the phone so well, because it was built by the makers of the phone. I don't see google doing anything blackberry service-ish in the near future. I also don't see 3rd party developers being able to deeply integrate their products into the core of the android OS the way that blackberry got into their own OS. Instagram was able to develop their own push notifications, so I know at least that it is possible. But they're also owned by facebook and have billions at their disposal.

Blackberry has a bleak future, but don't assume or hope that android is going to go in the direction that you want it to. Yes, the S pen is great, but if you value email service and the ability to handle "pages" more than your S pen, you might want to reconsider your decision to commit to android. Especially because you switched to android because you heard the Note 2 was big and bad. While it is "big and bad" IMO, what is big and bad to one person doesn't carry over to the next. Why have I never had an iPhone despite everyone I know having one? Because I know its OS can't meet my needs. "What are your needs, and can your phone meet them" is what you really need to ask yourself. A Note 2 can either be a really cool personalized device or it can be a large sized phone with a pen for drawing and editing PDFs. User's choice. It sounds like you're a very busy person, but if you could devote a day to learning the OS and what it can and can't do, you might find yourself with a completely different opinion about everything.

As far as your messaging needs go, you can create custom rings for contacts, it's a more laborious process than it would be on a BB, however. In terms of the keywording filters, I haven't really investigated because I haven't had a need.

What do I miss most about my blackberry? Being able to have the phone turned off and knowing my alarm will still go off. Find me another phone that does that. Oh wait, you can't. I accept this because of the trade off. I'm not hoping someone will build an app that can do this.

I also paid full price for my phone, but I don't think that entitles me to be more mad at it for not doing everything that I want it to do. I don't know you, and I only know what you've written on here, but from what I've gathered and from my own experience being a serious blackberry power user, I think you should go back to blackberry. I don't think the Android OS is where you need it to be in order to make it work for you. Like I said in my earlier post, I tried switching in '10 and couldn't make it work....the OS wasn't where I needed it to be in order to meet my needs. Now, however, the Jelly Bean OS meets my needs and the Note 2 is big and bad. Keep in mind that for people like you and me, the OS is more important than the phone. For the majority of the rest of the world, that may not be the case---hence the millions of people with their iPhones.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I get email on my gmail account in 3 seconds. I get my yahoo mail in 2 seconds. My comcast email: a test email came in under a minute. (and I'm talking NOTIFICATIONS. had I gone into comcast because i was expecting an email any second, i could have gotten it even quicker)

what are you all talking about about BB being "better" at email?? I had a BB for over a year. it wasn't any better at email. IMO, it was WORSE. truncated emails used to PISS ME OFF!

Last edited:

OC Nut

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
I get email on my gmail account in 3 seconds. I get my yahoo mail in 2 seconds. My comcast email: a test email came in under a minute. (and I'm talking NOTIFICATIONS. had I gone into comcast because i was expecting an email any second, i could have gotten it even quicker)

what are you all talking about about BB being "better" at email?? I had a BB for over a year. it wasn't any better at email. IMO, it was WORSE. truncated emails used to PISS ME OFF!

For me, at least, BB was better for Exchange email. There seemed to be two-way syncing of Outlook emails in all folders instantly. Filing was also immensely easier. With the Note, using the stock email program, I am getting push notifications instantly, but other actions do not seem to sync instantly both ways. However, IIRC, BB didn't handle some of my other email accounts as well (e.g., filing of non-Exchange email was unavailable with BB stock email).

The BB also seemed well-designed in that it displayed as many emails (and the details I needed) in the 2.8" screen as the Note does on its 5.5" screen! (This is partly an issue with the stock email program -- K-9 (I think) displays many, many emails on one page, although I don't use it because its push is inconsistent for me. It's also partly a function of using a touchscreen versus a trackball.) For the most part, BB email was a fairly smooth and enjoyable experience. Just with the Note, I needed to try several different apps -- stock, Moxier, (previously tried Touchdown and hated it), Maildroyd, K-9, then back to stock for Exchange and Yahoo/Hotmail/Gmail for those accounts. So the set up for me is now pretty good, but the BB experience was much smoother, and no problems out of the box. (With my Thunderbolt, I never was able to get the setup working in a way that was as good as BB -- either push didn't work, or it did at the cost of extremely short battery life, or a hot phone, or I had to use the Outlook web app to see more than 6 emails at a time and do filing, etc. . . . ).

I think I do recall the truncated emails, though. This was the "[More 12%]" message that required pressing the space bar to get the next part of the message, and doing this many times on any long email to get the whole thing? That was awful -- I'd forgotten about that, and how excited I was when I first set up Android mail, which let me choose to download entire messages!

ANewUser

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Great thread. Current BB-er here seriously considering the jump to Android (S4 or Note 2).
WIll be so glad to have the Google Apps that BB has disastrously (fatally) lost.
Here are the BB functions I'm a bit concerned Android will lack, but I have every confidence some app or the other will solve:
1. Ability to (at the touch of a button) send a text message to a contact (or contacts) and have that message be sent to recipient's cell phone *and email address* - hopefully without having to manually add the email address into any field -- ie, the ability to easily PAGE THIS GUY WHEREVER HE IS.
2. Auto-text (Word Substitution) -- optimally somehow syncing with TextExpander or something similar.
3. Dang, solve 1 and 2 and I'll be pretty happy!

OC Nut

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Great thread. Current BB-er here seriously considering the jump to Android (S4 or Note 2).
WIll be so glad to have the Google Apps that BB has disastrously (fatally) lost.
Here are the BB functions I'm a bit concerned Android will lack, but I have every confidence some app or the other will solve:
1. Ability to (at the touch of a button) send a text message to a contact (or contacts) and have that message be sent to recipient's cell phone *and email address* - hopefully without having to manually add the email address into any field -- ie, the ability to easily PAGE THIS GUY WHEREVER HE IS.
2. Auto-text (Word Substitution) -- optimally somehow syncing with TextExpander or something similar.
3. Dang, solve 1 and 2 and I'll be pretty happy!

On #2, a number of replacement keyboards have user-defined auto-text. Smart Keyboard and Kii Keyboard are two that come to mind.

gadgetfreak2

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
It is late at night so I skimmed through this thread. I am in the same position. I used BBs with Exchange e-mail but I couldn't stand the browser, lack of apps and grim future. Seeing BB10 and the Z10 did not raise my confidence at all. So, if I needed to learn something new anyway, I may as well try Android. I picked it over iPhone for 3 main reasons:

1) Removable battery and ability to get extended batteries
2) LED light like the BB
3) More customization options

It has taken a long time and I still often go "visit" my BB9930 in my drawer and dream of the past. I even consider carrying two devices but I always return to my Galaxy S3 and here is why: Much of what it does is NOT as good as what I used to do on the BB but it does SO much more than a BB that I am willing to make the compromises. For example, no keyboard, no magnet holster, no bedside mode based on putting into cradle, I need to back out of all apps. No one-touch buttons for shortcuts, no quick filing of e-mails, no universal inbox for mail, IM, SMS, etc.

But I get a real browser, unbelievable maps and navigation, apps apps apps, better camera, customized homescreen including an agenda, and so many options. Here are some apps I found that you may like if you are coming from a BB:

Touchdown by Nitrodesk
LightFlow
Agenda Widget
Profile Manage by JLasTec
Swiftkey

I hope this helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair