Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in kies and try again

mj76

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Hello,
I recently got my verizon note 2 and tried to root it, thereby bricking it. I used Odin along with the Stock firmware (CI605_I605VRLJB_I605VRALJB_CL414933_HWID04_HW_Rev0406_low_ship_user.tar.md5) and sch-i605-16gb.pit , unchecked everything other than auto-reboot and F. reset time but Odin keeps
failing.

ID:0/018> Added!!
<ID:0/018> Odin v.3 engine (ID:18)..
<ID:0/018> File analysis..
<ID:0/018> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/018> Initialzation..
<ID:0/018> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/018> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/018> boot.img
<ID:0/018> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/018> cache.img
<ID:0/018> hidden.img
<ID:0/018> modem.bin
<ID:0/018> param.bin
<ID:0/018> recovery.img
<ID:0/018> sboot.bin
<ID:0/018> FAIL!
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

This has caused the firmware upgrade encountered an issue error on my phone and my phone won't turn off unless i take out the battery. I took the battery out, pressed both volume buttons as i put the battery back in but nothing still happens, it won't turn on unless I plug the usb cable in the pc where I get the same error screen. I
I would seriously appreciate some help fixing my phone. I've tried different Odins, tried using kies with another laptop but kies wouldn't recognize my phone

Thank you

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I ran into a similar problem last night trying to return my phone to the stock VRALJB software using the instructions in the "Return to 100% Stock" thread (was on the newer software from the recent OTA update). Using any of the firmware listed in that thread or linked at XDA, Odin would always fail at "NAND Write Start" leaving the phone stuck with error "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue". I tried all the troubleshooting steps, but nothing worked. The only thing that did was to use the Stock Rooted ROM firmware in this thread: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...how-vzw-gnote2-root-rom-via-odin-w-video.html

Edit: it's the Root66_VZW_stock_system.7z file. Be sure to unzip it using 7zip then flash it via Odin. After flashing it be sure to follow the last instruction to wipe cache partition.

Also forgot: you should be able to get the phone back into download mode; first unplug it from the USB cable and ensure it's powered off. Next simultaneously press and hold Volume Down/Home then the power button until you see it say "Warning!!" at the top and a tiny yellow triangle at the bottom. Then press the Volume up button to continue which should take you into download mode where you'll see a green Android. Then you can launch Odin and connect the USB cable and proceed flashing the firmware.

Last edited:

mj76

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Thank you so much! Odin passed and the samsung logo appeared then just turned off. I tried volume down/home power button but nothing happened. I plugged the phone into usb cable connected to the phone and it looks like it is charging. Is this normal? Once it charges I can go back and wipe the cache partition? Also, does this mean the phone has been unrooted with no indication of having ever been rooted? Thank you very much. I really appreciate your help!

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like your battery charge may be low. It's recommended to have it at 50% or higher before attempting to flash firmware. But yes, once you have enough of a charge, you should be able to wipe the cache partition as follows (from the instructions in the thread I linked to previously): :)

- With your Device off simultaneously press and hold Volume Up/Home/power buttons until you see Android System Recovery at the top of the screen and a green android laying down with a Red triangle above him in the center of the screen.
- Scroll down using the Volume down button and Highlight "wipe cache partition" and press the power button to select
- When it says Cache wipe complete at the bottom and "reboot system now" is highlight press the power button to reboot and ENJOY!

If you used the Stock Rooted ROM file, then you're rooted. To confirm this, once the phone boots, you'll see Super SU in the App drawer. You can also use the app Root Checker to actually confirm root access.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Mind you that rooting is not the same as unlocking . You need to be unlocked to put on custom roms. This requires a different method. Also it seems that there is no returning to stock after the update. You would have to try and use an app called triangle away and unroot. But since I have not tried it im not positive if it will leave the fact that you're device was modified undetectable.

I'm sure an updated stock odin file will eventually get leaked

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

mj76

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
thank you so much, my phone is working! i installed root checker and yep I have root access.
Apart from the flash counter where does it say if the device is rooted? I checked the device status, it says normal.
At this point is it necessary to go and wipe cache partition? what does that do? I'm so glad my phone is working! all my apps are there too.
Can't thank you enough

mj76

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
could someone please tell me what could be wrong with my phone? So after the phone passed odin, it started working well. After ten minutes which I spent customizing the
phone, backing up apps with titanium back up, the phone just wouldn't turn off or go into recovery or download mode.
I took the battery out and tried to go into recovery mode but still can't do anything with it.
The only thing I can do is to charge it and it has 100% charged right now.
I'd really appreciate some help.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
could someone please tell me what could be wrong with my phone? So after the phone passed odin, it started working well. After ten minutes which I spent customizing the
phone, backing up apps with titanium back up, the phone just wouldn't turn off or go into recovery or download mode.
I took the battery out and tried to go into recovery mode but still can't do anything with it.
The only thing I can do is to charge it and it has 100% charged right now.
I'd really appreciate some help.
what happens when you try to go into recovery? are you able to get into it or not?

mj76

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
actually i made some progress... was only able to turn on the phone...(couldn't turn it off though), ended up installing clockwork mod recovery to do some backs ups only to get the following error:
"System software not authorized by Verizon Wireless has been found on your phone." I haven't been able to get into recovery mode at all nor download mode for that matter.
I don't know if it was the CWM that messed it up or the triangle away app that I used. I didn't know my phone had to be unlocked to use triangle away app :( so now i'm worse off than I was before
trying to unroot the darn thing.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
actually i made some progress... was only able to turn on the phone...(couldn't turn it off though), ended up installing clockwork mod recovery to do some backs ups only to get the following error:
"System software not authorized by Verizon Wireless has been found on your phone." I haven't been able to get into recovery mode at all nor download mode for that matter.
I don't know if it was the CWM that messed it up or the triangle away app that I used. I didn't know my phone had to be unlocked to use triangle away app :( so now i'm worse off than I was before
trying to unroot the darn thing.

Yeah thats why i mentioned in post #5 that you needed to be unlocked to use custom roms, i should have explained that meant not to use a custom recovery without being unlocked.... you should be able to flash stock rooted odin file and get back up and going, then at that point you should just go head and unlock

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
<clip> Also it seems that there is no returning to stock after the update. You would have to try and use an app called triangle away and unroot. But since I have not tried it im not positive if it will leave the fact that you're device was modified undetectable.

I'm sure an updated stock odin file will eventually get leaked

I was on the updated I605VRALL4 firmware (via the OTA update), but was able to get back to the original stock I605VRALJB firmware by just flashing your Stock Rooted ROM (Root66_VZW_stock_system.7z) via Odin. No other apps used and my device status still indicates normal. Thank you for that! Saved my butt when nothing else worked. :D

That reminds me; to mj76, since you used that same file it would probably be best to block OTA updates as the last one I mentioned above will remove your current root access if installed. For more info on both, see this thread: http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-galaxy-note-2/245401-info-warn-1-18-13-vzw-note-2-ota.html

mj76

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I've done everything to get into download mode, left the battery out over night, held vol up+menu+home while putting battery back in, held the keys while plugging phone into the pc but I keep
getting the unauthorized software error. Does anyone know if verizon can actually help if I go to them with a rooted phone? Thank you

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I've done everything to get into download mode, left the battery out over night, held vol up+menu+home while putting battery back in, held the keys while plugging phone into the pc but I keep
getting the unauthorized software error. Does anyone know if verizon can actually help if I go to them with a rooted phone? Thank you

There must be a typo in the guide. Volume key down+home. Keep holding and press power hold all 3 till it asks you to enter download mode

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

stunna34

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
my phone is still stuck on the firmware upgrade encountered an issue screen it wont let me do nothing i need help its my only phone

asianmick

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
it will just go to download mode and if i press any button it automatically go to firmware upgrade encountered an issue

I'm am also having the same problem every time I try to flash I fail and can't reboot it won't allow me to do anything I have been stuck for the past 6 hours trying everything out there nothing is working.

Liam Garcia

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
can anyone help me so i have the same problem, but on my galaxy s3 when i boot up the phone it leads me to the go to recovery in samsung keys thing. Does anyone have the file or just any help/ advice PLEASE REPLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze