will Verizon's next OTA update be 4.12 or 4.2 for Galaxy Note 2?

threepackape

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
will Verizon's next OTA update be 4.12 or 4.2 for Galaxy Note 2? What are the chances of skipping over 4.12 and going to 4.2 directly? (wishful thinking... obviously) :)

jweimn

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
will Verizon's next OTA update be 4.12 or 4.2 for Galaxy Note 2? What are the chances of skipping over 4.12 and going to 4.2 directly? (wishful thinking... obviously) :)

Itll probably be 4.2 as a leak has cone out for the s3 however it could be a ways down the road. I dont forsee any other updates till then.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

kris.richards

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Agreed. I'm sure it'll be 4.2 (I hope). If we get 4.1.2 (be awhile before we see it ) first, it'll be ages before they roll out 4.2. If our next OS update is 4.1.2 I'm giving VZW the finger and rooting.

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I hope they get the update before the X phone from Motorola comes out. If not I will make that phone my next phone.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

kris.richards

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm happy as long as Verizon pushed 4.2 OTA out by Thanksgiving.

Thanksgiving sounds unreasonable considering the gs3 got 4.1 in December (~6 months after Google released it?) so I'm hoping for more like may/June. Notice I said hoping. I lost my faith in vzw many a years ago. My hopes have lost their ability to get up.

Sent ala my Note Dos on Big Red

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
As long as my phone works I am happy. I paid a lot for my Note2. Why fix something that isn't broke?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note2

wrightmd93

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I personally hope it's 4.2, just so I can have the native lockscreen widget capability. I miss being able to see a preview of my most recent text/email like I could on my previous HTC phone.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
While I'd love to see 4.2 on my phone specifically for the Google Now enhancements. I doubt it will hit any time soon. Sammy and Verizon are notorious for late updates so count yourself as lucky if we get any updates at all.

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
My guess is at some point early summer we'll see an official update of some sort. Probably not 4.2, but who knows.

For those rooted, or willing and able to root and run a custom ROM, there are quite a few non-touchwiz based 4.2 ROMS available. I loaded CarbonROM on my GNEX, and it's really nice. Same ROM is available for the GNote, but I am not interested in any non-touchwiz based ROMS cause I like using the tw features. Nevertheless, for those willing and able, I say give one of those ROMS a try on your GNote to get an idea of what 4.2 is like on this phone. I think 4.2 code has dropped for the GS3, my guess is there will be 4.2 touchwiz ROMS in the next month or two.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm VERY ambivalent about updates, and for good reason. I saw three updates come to my bionic. the first one was an improvement, as it fixed the issue of whine in headphone output. the second was OK also. However, the third one was a big stinking pile of crap as far as I'm concerned because it brought back the aggravating whine in the headphone output, prompting me to look for a new phone. Verizon agreed, and shipped me a Razr Maxx, but it had a defective speaker so I sent it back. because I was about to go on vacation I told them to hold off on a replacement Razr Maxx until I contacted them. Not long after that, the Note 2 came out and I decided to spend a bunch of money to REALLY upgrade my phone experience. I couldn't be happier with my choice to replace the problematic Moto phone with a Sammy. I doubt I'll ever use a Moto product, same as I'll never buy another Apple product. For now I'm very pleased with this phone. It's size, sound, screen, Sammy specific-features, S Pen. The only thing I would prefer that the Note 2 had was more screen brightness, but that's a nit.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
As long as my phone works I am happy. I paid a lot for my Note2. Why fix something that isn't broke?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note2

I paid $37 for my note 2, but no matter what i paid, I expect that the phone should be updated in a reasonable time frame. Still, the phone runs well for my needs, so I don't really need an update, just that it would be nice to have one

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note II

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
While I'd love to see 4.2 on my phone specifically for the Google Now enhancements. I doubt it will hit any time soon. Sammy and Verizon are notorious for late updates so count yourself as lucky if we get any updates at all.

It seems like htc is dropping the ball more recently. The thunderbolt finally got ics recently, Rezound is was delayed, and no sign of jb. I don't think the droid incredible 4g lte has jelly bean either. Gs3 got jb in December. And the droid incredible 4g was released about the same time as the Galaxy s3.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm VERY ambivalent about updates, and for good reason. I saw three updates come to my bionic. the first one was an improvement, as it fixed the issue of whine in headphone output. the second was OK also. However, the third one was a big stinking pile of crap as far as I'm concerned because it brought back the aggravating whine in the headphone output, prompting me to look for a new phone. Verizon agreed, and shipped me a Razr Maxx, but it had a defective speaker so I sent it back. because I was about to go on vacation I told them to hold off on a replacement Razr Maxx until I contacted them. Not long after that, the Note 2 came out and I decided to spend a bunch of money to REALLY upgrade my phone experience. I couldn't be happier with my choice to replace the problematic Moto phone with a Sammy. I doubt I'll ever use a Moto product, same as I'll never buy another Apple product. For now I'm very pleased with this phone. It's size, sound, screen, Sammy specific-features, S Pen. The only thing I would prefer that the Note 2 had was more screen brightness, but that's a nit.

Similar sentiment here regarding updates. I even froze my Nexus 7 on 4.1.2 as I got tired of the frequent updates from Google, some of which made me feel like their beta tester. I just want my device to work and not have to frequently mess around with it. I know others want the updates for new features, but I just wish we were given the choice of whether or not to accept/install them without needing to root and disable the option all together. It'd be nice to have options in Android like in Windows where you can natively choose to either turn updates off entirely, get notified about them only (install if you want), or make them automatic.

bogart286

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
I just hope they bring back the auto-correct/auto-complete feature. Maybe it's just me but it drives me insane having to select each word insted of just the space bar. Most of my messages now look like a preschooler sent them! Hahaha

Sent by Samsung Galaxy Note 2 from the inner depths of Hell!!

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I just hope they bring back the auto-correct/auto-complete feature. Maybe it's just me but it drives me insane having to select each word insted of just the space bar. Most of my messages now look like a preschooler sent them! Hahaha

Sent by Samsung Galaxy Note 2 from the inner depths of Hell!!

This is why I purchased Kii Keyboard.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1361812038761.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361812038761.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 44

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I love SwiftKey Flow keyboard, great predictions, and flow is great. I got it free a while back, but I think it is on sale now too

kris.richards

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
I love SwiftKey Flow keyboard, great predictions, and flow is great. I got it free a while back, but I think it is on sale now too

It is. I did the free beta for a while and loved it so much I bought it for 3.99 (I think). Great keyboard, highly recommended.