Anybody seen a price reduction for buying outright?

kgk1985

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Off contact prices don't really ever budge. It might drop $50-100 when it's no longer a relevant device

sent from Galaxy Note 2

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Are there any downsides to adding a line and canceling it? For instance, do they prevent you from adding a line for a period of time after you cancel a line?

There is no restriction, so long as you pay etf.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
i didn't want to try getting the huge discount by getting another line and then cancelling and all that other stuff.. i just went straight to Best Buy store and since they "Price Match", the BestBuy rep went online for me and we saw it on Amazon.com for $649 instead $799 that they were charging.. then they gave me $100 for my HTC Thunderbolt that I traded in.. they would've given me more, but the top of the screen had a tiny scratch/crack..

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Forgot to add, some retailers like amazon will charge a secondary $400 etf if you make certain changes to your account like moving the phone to another line within 181 days. Direct from Verizon, Best buy, Costco, and perhaps others do not have this extra fee.

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Forgot to add, some retailers like amazon will charge a secondary $400 etf if you make certain changes to your account like moving the phone to another line within 181 days. Direct from Verizon, Best buy, Costco, and perhaps others do not have this extra fee.
Walmart has the fee, too. Applies to downgrading the data plan and/or switching phone to another line.

jbarrymck

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Where are you seeing this $100 Price tag I called and checked online - Upgrade - New Line - are all showing roughly 248.99 + tax at Samsclub? and the Grey shows it is ONLINE only price.
Got my Note 2 yesterday at Sam's Club for 98+ tax. It was $109 out the door, because they only charge tax on the actual price. It is an in store only price not available on the web. I bought an S3 there for 97 cents over Black Friday weekend, but I couldn't pass on the $100 deal.

snookasnoo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
The Verizon Note 2 shows $699 today..did you you quote them the price on a GSM Note 2? I see those at $649. I'm tempted to go for that so I can keep my unlimited package.
GSM Note 2
Amazon.com: Samsung Galaxy Note II GT-N7100 - factory unlocked- 16GB Gray: Cell Phones & Accessories

i didn't want to try getting the huge discount by getting another line and then cancelling and all that other stuff.. i just went straight to Best Buy store and since they "Price Match", the BestBuy rep went online for me and we saw it on Amazon.com for $649 instead $799 that they were charging.. then they gave me $100 for my HTC Thunderbolt that I traded in.. they would've given me more, but the top of the screen had a tiny scratch/crack..

snookasnoo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
That depends on what state you live in. California makes them charge tax on the full price of the phone. Since I live in both California and Arizona I buy many things in Arizona to avoid the higher taxes.

Got my Note 2 yesterday at Sam's Club for 98+ tax. It was $109 out the door, because they only charge tax on the actual price. It is an in store only price not available on the web. I bought an S3 there for 97 cents over Black Friday weekend, but I couldn't pass on the $100 deal.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
That depends on what state you live in. California makes them charge tax on the full price of the phone. Since I live in both California and Arizona I buy many things in Arizona to avoid the higher taxes.

Sams club only charges sales tax on actual purchase price in CA. Best buy and many others charge sales tax on full retail price.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I am in California. I've saved $150 on the last two phones by buying from there.

I paid $37 for my note 2 from best buy, and paid $71 tax. If i bought from sams club, it would have been $99 plus $9 tax. Either way, it comes out to $108.my situation at best buy is not typical though.

Buying at best buy is preferable for me since they don't have a secondary etf of $400.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
So BB or Amazon would be the best bet for paying full retail?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Best Buy Price is $800,Amazon and Verizon charge $700. Guess it depends if amazon charges tax. If they don't, buy from them. If they do, just buy from Verizon

pretext

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Best Buy Price is $800,Amazon and Verizon charge $700. Guess it depends if amazon charges tax. If they don't, buy from them. If they do, just buy from Verizon

Would BB match Amazon's price since I would be buying the phone off contract?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Would BB match Amazon's price since I would be buying the phone off contract?

They should in theory, nothing in their terms says otherwise, but as always, price matching is ymmv. Depends on the store and in some cases the csr

pretext

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
They should in theory, nothing in their terms says otherwise, but as always, price matching is ymmv. Depends on the store and in some cases the csr

That's what I figured. I've grown tired of my rezound, sense, and want a bigger screen. The S4 didn't wow me and I like what the note 2 has to offer. Will have to pay full retail though cause I'm not do for an upgrade until November.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
That's what I figured. I've grown tired of my rezound, sense, and want a bigger screen. The S4 didn't wow me and I like what the note 2 has to offer. Will have to pay full retail though cause I'm not do for an upgrade until November.

Costco wireless lists the retail price as $500. I don't think that you can buy the no contract price from them though

http://membershipwireless.com/index.cfm/go/shop/do/phoneDetails/productid/9999/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo